What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors win trial against Souths.

Kakihara

Juniors
I noticed at the Titans trial he looked a bit slower (which is still super fast) when he made that break and almost got run down by Nate Myles. Think his body is still getting used to the added muscle.

Warmess

Juniors
95kg o_O! Has he been trialled at centre? That's what I'd take that sort of serious muscle addition as.

Rich102

Staff member
The New Zealand Warriors may consider keeping their prized front row assets in cotton wool for their final NRL dress rehearsal against a Queensland club side to avoid the prospect of losing more key players to injury before the season gets underway.
Russell Packer and Ben Matulino are the only established props to sidestep the Warriors' casualty ward during a costly pre-season that sees Jacob Lillyman and the Rapira brothers Sam and Steve out of contention for the March 4 grand final rematch with Manly at Eden Park.
Sam Rapira, the club's senior prop with 123 appearances, faces up to six weeks on the sidelines after suffering a shoulder injury during the 22-14 trial win over South Sydney at Coffs Harbour on Saturday night.
His younger sibling Steve, who has been remodelled to also play up front this season, confronts a similar rehabilitation period after sustaining a high ankle sprain.
That leaves Packer, who only made his comeback from off-season surgery against the Rabbitohs, and Matulino as the likely starting props against the Sea Eagles.
Back rowers Ukuma Ta'ai and Sione Lousi are also getting acquainted with new responsibilities while Junior Kiwi Sebastine Ikahihifo has also been unearthed as a potential stop-gap measure through the trial process.
With Lillyman out for three months with a torn bicep suffered during the opening trial against the Gold Coast, Steve Rapira had an opportunity to audition for the role and was making a decent fist of it until he limped off BCU Stadium - condemned to miss the start of the season for a second consecutive year.
Asked if Matulino, who is also an accomplished second rower, and Packer might be rested for the hit out against the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles in Whangarei on Saturday night, head coach Brain McClennan would not rule it out.
"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," he said.
"We've got a bit of time to think about what we'll do next."
However, he may at least be tempted to give Packer one more game as he continues his return from compartment syndrome surgery required after the Kiwis Four Nations campaign last November.
McClennan was confident Ta'ai and Lousi could make the transition on a more permanent basis if required while 21-year-old Ikahihifo, a member of the triumphant Junior Warriors squads of 2010-11, might also make the step up from the back row.
"Sebastine had a really good hit out running in the middle of the park," McClennan said of the Aucklander's effort against Souths.

"Against Gold Coast he played as a lock so he got to do a lot of work in the middle of the field and he did a really good job for us there.
"If he had to play prop he would. He's brave and he's got a really good engine. He got good feet and he's powerful."
McClennan said players could be promoted from the Toyota Cup squad saying the juniors he has utilised during the trials were capable of filling any void.
"The trials are there for a purpose, they give you a gauge and some measurements on where you are and all the young guys have done well," he said.
Rookie back Konrad Hurrell was among the impressive next generation, pressing his claims with a try against the Rabbitohs before a quick-fire double from Kiwis behemoth Manu Vatuvei effectively made the game safe at 22-4 with 20 minutes remaining.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6409583/Warriors-wary-of-more-preseason-injuries

JoeD

First Grade
Souffs in their "you won 2nd place in a beauty contest" jersey. Hate that style that seems to have come back lately.

Willie Mason not too sure about this, Let's have faith in our young beasts coming through

Would rather see a youngster try their heart out for the club he has been aiming to play for, rather an idiot that cannot control himself and is an average player at best

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Interesting that Inu played for the Vulcans last week, not the NRL side...wonder the reasoning?

Impression I've got is that Bluey's happy with what he saw from Inu in the first trial and was more interested in gauging where Hurrell/Benry/J-Ro were at for the remainder of the trial series. I think Inu's a lock for round 1.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Mmm okay, fair enough. Far be it from me to speculate, but I would've thought if he'd seen enough he'd get a week's break - not play for the Vulcans. But yeah, I thought he'd have a centre spot locked too.

hitman82

Bench
Jesus, they must've had him on squats and milk all off season!

Haha f**k yeah. Anyone remember what he was running around at last season? I am fairly certain Fish was listed as 82kgs. To shoot up to 95kgs, presumably mostly muscle gain, is actually mental...

hitman82

Bench
Impression I've got is that Bluey's happy with what he saw from Inu in the first trial and was more interested in gauging where Hurrell/Benry/J-Ro were at for the remainder of the trial series. I think Inu's a lock for round 1.

Yeah I think this is the case. Bluey's been a huge fan of Inu in the past (debuted him in the Kiwis) so if he wasn't satisfied with Inu in the first trial, he surely would have given the guy another chance to prove himself.
I'd say he's a lock in.