What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was that the greatest Grand Final ever?

Greatest Grand Final ever?

• Total voters

Ice_Storm

Juniors
Maybe it wasn't the best game, but hard pressed to deny it of the incredible tension in the last 10 mins. Amazing stuff!!

What a way though to finish the year. Rugby League just keeps on chugging. No matter the crap that gets flung at it, it always produces the goods and rises to the top when it counts.

Rugby League. Like Pizza the Hut, it ALWAYS delivers.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Greatest ever is a big call, it is hard to compare.

But I think we can safely say the best GF in 10+ years.

It is great when you get a truly great GF to top the season, it doesn't happen often, but perhaps if the rules allow a more open attacking game in future years, we will see more of them.

While a dour low scoring GF is a gripping contest, it does not provide the same excitement.

This match seem to have just about the right mix everything, even non-NRL fans would have found it entertaining.

Just saw the following comment on the website of The Guardian (not a noted rugby league publication):

"Watched the game from my lounge room in Melbourne. I'm a rusted on AFL man, an A-league club member (go Victory) but have had a soft spot for the NRL since watching the Raiders play St.George at Bruce Stadium in 93 as part of our road trip honeymoon. Storm get me through the gates a couple of times a year.
I have admired Thurston as a player, probably without fully realising his greatness due to my never having chased a steeden and the games third tier in my pecking order.
I wanted NQ to win for no other reason than that they hadn't hoisted the trophy before.
Drama. My family was left pacing the room in the dying minutes, unable to sit, riding each tackle. My 12 y.o son turns to me and exclaims that despite not barracking for either side his heart is racing so much it feels like it will explode.
Last night was without doubt one of the greatest games I have ever seen. Not NRL games, but greatest games of any sport I have watched. Congratulations to the code and both teams involved. I' m already getting hassled about Melbourne Storm memberships for next year."

big hit!

Bench
for me, it will be remembered for how Green nearly f**ked it up by keeping Granville and Taumololo off the ground for way to long. A bit like Ryan in '89 when he took off Siro and Roach too early in the game.....but in those days there was no interchange. once you were replaced, that was it.

BRI were easily containing NQ's raids in the second half because there was little spark around the ruck that Granville provides. it was within the last 10 when both player came back on that they began to turn the screws with Granville putting pressure on Brisbane's inside men.

Madge did the same last year when he gave Koriasau a breather in the second, but kept him off way too long. Sutton was acting half in this time and the Souths attack looked lost. Once Koraisau was back on, he put pressure on Canterbury around the ruck and came up with the play for George Burgess' try within a few minutes of being on the field. They then ran away with it.

Son of Minto

Bench
for me, it will be remembered for how Green nearly f**ked it up by keeping Granville and Taumololo off the ground for way to long.

Youre going to remember it for the way Green has used his interchanges all season instead of the greatest ending to a Grand Final in history?

Ok playa.

Johnnie Red

Juniors
There is a lot to like about this GF, its ticks all the boxes of a cheesy Hollywood NFL film

1. 1st all QLD Final
2. Cowboys first premiership
3. Watching the Donkeys lose their first GF
4. Watching Bennett lose his first final (arguably) and then whinging about it
5. JT completing the Dally M and CC Medal combo
6. A try in the last second of the game
7. JT's missed conversion for the win
8. Ben 'Herschelle' Hunt dropping the world cup
9. JT field goal to seal the win

I don't think that this is the best GF ever but with all of the above points and a thrilling finish its pretty bloody close.

SDM

First Grade
It was average with a good finish.
There were no real fireworks in the opening exchanges, but good entertainment for the first half.
The second half was f**king boring, terrible footy played all round until the last 10 seconds.

perverse

Referee
Would have to be top 5. Fantastic entertainment. Don't know about greatest, but it was an incredible finish.

Charlie124

First Grade
Its the best i've ever seen, even though im sure ive got just a little bias in there somewhere. People keep saying things like "the game was average with a good ending" but really, the ending is all part of the game, the most important part, it helps make the whole game great. Its not often that youll get a top notch quality 80mins with no lulls and id rather watch a good game with a great ending than a great start that plateaus off into an ok ending.

ram raid

Bench
Here's Vossy's answer

http://www.nrl.com/was-the-2015-grand-final-the-best-ever/tabid/10874/newsid/90439/default.aspx

Was the 2015 grand final the best ever?

Where does the 2015 decider rank on the all time list of grand finals?

After much reflection, I have it number one – but only just ahead of 1989.

And there are plenty of factors that contribute to that.

First of all, my experience of taking in grand final day stretches back as far as 1973. I've haven't missed watching one since.

Until Sunday night, I rated 1989 between Canberra and Balmain on top ahead of 1997's ARL decider between Newcastle and Manly.

The common thread of all three grand finals is that for the winning side it was their first title, so the images of emotion from the fans and players is strong.

All three have match-winning plays that will be remembered for all time. Steve Jackson's unbelievable try for the Raiders. Darren Albert's clincher for the Knights. And then the circumstances of golden point between the Cowboys and the Broncos.

But the greatness of a game shouldn't be defined by its finish alone.

I believe the first half between the Broncos and Cowboys was about as good as it gets. Tremendous rugby league with four terrific tries.

What unfolded after half-time was just compelling viewing. You couldn't look away for a second. There was the bombed try by Kane Linnett. The Adam Blair hit on Johnathan Thurston. The superb goal-line defence of the Broncos. The tension of a tight scoreline all the way through, and then the 80th minute and beyond.

The '89 decider had Benny Elias hitting the crossbar; Michael Neil ankle tapped, and Chicka Ferguson's try, among a host of memorable moments and then 20 minutes of extra time.

But for Sunday night you have to add to the story a crowd of 83,000; the history of the night as a first all Queensland grand final, and the fact that it came down to a kick from the sideline attempted by the sport's biggest superstar.

I can't imagine it could ever get any better.

What about Michael Morgan's pass?

WOW!

I don't know how much of a student of the game Michael is, but his pass for Kyle Feldt's try with the time remaining at 00.00 inarguably joins the list of greatest and most famous grand final moments.

Think Bob McCarthy's intercept 1967, Royce Simmons double in '91, Nathan Blacklock for the Dragons in 1999.

As long as rugby league is played, that pass and that try will get a run when grand finals are discussed.

And what a fantastic touch that it would be – a Townsville junior passing to another Townsville junior to score the decisive try for North Queensland.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
I can't stop watching from the Cowboys last set until the winning field goal. I've watched it now at least a dozen times and repeat viewings doesn't take the emotion out of it.

That last try.....watching Fittler jump up for joy, watching the channel 9 microphone guy jump up for joy, hearing Sterling, Gould, Wally Lewis, Ray Warren all cheering as one, watching the stadium erupt!!! Paul Green and the coaching staff. What a moment! Then the goal kick that took an eternity. The whole world was behind Thurston as he kicked the ball and shared in his dissapointment when he missed.....and finally the field goal. The commentary team yelling out with joy and the crowd erupting again. It doesn't get better than this.

Peter Sterling: I've never seen anything like it and I'm so glad I was here to see it.
Ray Warren: The most dramatic grand final I've ever seen.
Yvonne to Thurston: That's the greatest grand final decider we've ever seen.
Tallis to Morgan: Mate talk us through the greatest grand final ever.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
Youre going to remember it for the way Green has used his interchanges all season instead of the greatest ending to a Grand Final in history?

Ok playa.

i got no idea what your gangsta rappa shit means. yes, I thought the game was one of the greatest. is that what you want?

just saying that Green may have been able to kill it off sooner. 10sec made him a king. could've been a joker. no doubt he had the confidence in his players to deliver, but how close can you get?!?!

apart from dropped ball with the line wide open, it took an unconventional play with Thurston back tracking and trying to keep the final play alive to finally break down the Brisbane defence's discipline........with Thurston trying to keep the play alive, Parker left the line to get him and showed the jagged/broken defensive line that Bennett hates and Brisbane have rarely provided. it gave morgan space & NQ the numbers to put Brisbane's outside defenders in uncertainty.

Dodgy

Juniors
imo, 2003 was the best one so far. When I read about other years being nominated. All that's ever talked about is the ending. The panthers/roosters smashed each other throughout the whole game. Not long before Rooney's first try, a half hour in, I remember thinking the game still hadn't settled into a rhythm. It's was still a high tempo.

There were a couple of fumbles. Considering it was wet/drizzling, the skill execution looked like it was in dry, cool, still conditions. I remember the following day, on Melbourne sports today. David Hookes opened the show acknowledging the game was so good. Even if you didn't like RL, that was a cracking game. You couldn't say it wasn't, or that the AFL had produced something better.

One of the best games of anything I've enjoyed.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Agree 2003 the best ever. Both teams at their best. The hits in that game were ferocious.

2015 forward battle was tame in comparison, due to Brisbanes pack being full of cats and missing McGuire. And of course shoulder contact no longer being allowed.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Its the greatest GF not just soley on the performance of the contest but also the feel good story behind it;

3) NQ Cowboys finally winning their first ever premiership
6) Bennet GF winning streak coming to an end.

The only worth mentioning.

And by the way, when did Bennett's GF streak come to an end?

Dopehat.

greeneyed

First Grade
1989 was better, of course.

The Broncos shut up shop from the 50th minute and tried to defend a four point lead. Creditable that they nearly did it, but the negative coaching of Wayne Bennett cost them the game.

In 1989, no one shut up the shop. Many more dramatic moments. And the match was decided in extra time, not golden point. How sad it would have been if we had been denied Steve Jackson's try to decide a premiership, as the Raiders had already kicked the field goal off the Gary Jack spilled ball?

1989 was a far superior spectacle for the entire game.

The only issue worth debating is whether the 2015 NRL Grand Final is the second best ever or not.

However the 2015 Super League Grand Final is now shaping up as one for the ages.

Latest posts