What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching NRL without crowds

The unknown

Juniors
I heard the Victorian sports minister or someone like that say that it’s not impossible to see a crowd at sport this year. Later in the season if the situation improves even more it could return.

They pushed origin as late as possible for that exact reason, on NRL games im not sure. Think they are reviewing it carefully around round 10

Watching a grand final crowdless would be really weird

moffla

Bench
They pushed origin as late as possible for that exact reason, on NRL games im not sure. Think they are reviewing it carefully around round 10

Source: Sporting news (copying link isn't working)

V'landys is confident Australia's fast-falling infection rate will see crowds return this season.

"I definitely can see it," V'landys told 2GB's Ben Fordham Live.

"If the infection continues to be at these low points and if the recovery rate overtakes the infection rate, I can't see why we can't.

"Have social distancing on the grounds, allow members back in first or cap the crowds. Come state of origin we were hoping to allow all the emergency workers as our special guests to thank them for their efforts during this crisis.

"I'm very confident that at some point during this year, hopefully grand final and State of Origin, we will have capped crowds.

"And before then, maybe small crowds of 100 or 200 that are very distant a part."

Sounds like the big dog will do whatever he can to make it happen

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see crowds back by sept if the loosening of restrictions doesn’t blow up into a second (or first in our case) wave. By July everything will be open bar international travel and we’ll see what happens.

King hit

Coach
I can see crowds back by sept if the loosening of restrictions doesn’t blow up into a second (or first in our case) wave. By July everything will be open bar international travel and we’ll see what happens.
We have had restrictions eased for a couple of weeks and there has been no massive spike in cases so I’m not to worried about it.

big hit!

Bench

so you didn't watch Newtown vs Burleigh in the national championship last year?

unforgiven

Bench
We have had restrictions eased for a couple of weeks and there has been no massive spike in cases so I’m not to worried about it.
It actually takes a couple of weeks for the ease in restrictions to have an effect on case numbers. It has only been a week since NSW started to really lift restrictions, so it is still at least a week until your statement is relevant.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If there are no crowds, then why are we renting large stadia to play in? I get that these teams are contracted to play at those grounds but surely that's because the game brings a crowd to the stadium to buy food, drinks etc. That is not happening now so why wouldn't we go to a cheaper option that also looks better on TV than an empty large stadium... suburban grounds (just until crowds can return).

Broncos - take your pic of any QLD Cup venue around Brisbane, probably Langlands Park or even Dolphin Oval.
Cowboys - Jack Manski Oval
Gold Coast & Warriors - Pizzey Park
Roosters - North Sydney Oval and / or Henson Park
Rabbits - Redfern
Dragons & Dragons - Kograh
Bulldogs - Belmore
Tigers - Leichardt
Panthers - Either at Penrith stadium or St Mary's
Eels - I guess Bankwest unless there is another option

An empty picturesque (in some cases) suburban ground under the current circumstances is a much better look than an empty Suncorp, ANZ or SCG.

unforgiven

Bench
If there are no crowds, then why are we renting large stadia to play in? I get that these teams are contracted to play at those grounds but surely that's because the game brings a crowd to the stadium to buy food, drinks etc. That is not happening now so why wouldn't we go to a cheaper option that also looks better on TV than an empty large stadium... suburban grounds (just until crowds can return).

Broncos - take your pic of any QLD Cup venue around Brisbane, probably Langlands Park or even Dolphin Oval.
Rabbits - Redfern
Bulldogs - Belmore
Tigers - Leichardt

An empty picturesque (in some cases) suburban ground under the current circumstances is a much better look than an empty Suncorp, ANZ or SCG.

There has been some talk that the NRL wants the game to look more professional for international viewers.

I think it is probably more to do with the grounds they have chosen cater better for the biosecurity needs at this time. They also want to limit the amount of grounds used so your plan wouldn't work.

Canard

Immortal
There has been some talk that the NRL wants the game to look more professional for international viewers.

I think it is probably more to do with the grounds they have chosen cater better for the biosecurity needs at this time. They also want to limit the amount of grounds used so your plan wouldn't work.

And player needs, and televisions needs.

Not one suburban ground mentioned in QLD has adequate lighting or broadcast facilities.

Also got me f**ked why an empty suburban ground looks better then an empty stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore

Rabbits - Redfern
Bulldogs - Belmore
Tigers - Leichardt

because they don’t want a $1/2billion competition to look like park football maybe?

YoHadrian

Juniors
It's not the same.

You can't tell me that crowds don't matter when you see the look on players face when he runs to the crowd after he scores an important try in a big game.

It's great to have rugby league back in some form for the people at home & everyone involved in the game in a professional however without the impetus that a roar of the crowds give the players won't be feeling it as much as they normally would.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Some of the NRL crowds are so bad that it is not that noticeable. No crowds has more of an impact on the AFL IMO. Sure it’s soulless but the benefit is that Rugby League is a better TV product.

Before I had kayo I would regularly mute channel 9.

T-Boon

Coach
I think we will have crowds back to some extent by mid June. At that time I think a venue will be allowed to be one third full. Every 3rd seat sold or whatever. So 10k at Bankwest. Just allow season ticket holders in.

Latest posts