What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching NRL without crowds

flippikat

Bench
If there are no crowds, then why are we renting large stadia to play in? I get that these teams are contracted to play at those grounds but surely that's because the game brings a crowd to the stadium to buy food, drinks etc. That is not happening now so why wouldn't we go to a cheaper option that also looks better on TV than an empty large stadium... suburban grounds (just until crowds can return).

It boils down to the quality of the facilities for players and staff - everything from having TV quality lighting, to good ground drainage, decent changing rooms etc etc.

Sure, it costs more to rent a Bankwest instead of a bog-standard suburban ground.. but you really do get what you pay for.

In some aspects it really can be a matter of safety too. For example, an inadequate playing surface can cause injuries.

blue bags

First Grade
ripm-100.jpg
SPIT guard

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well be like watching Kickby Union is AU. People they say watch it, no one shows up.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It boils down to the quality of the facilities for players and staff - everything from having TV quality lighting, to good ground drainage, decent changing rooms etc etc.

Sure, it costs more to rent a Bankwest instead of a bog-standard suburban ground.. but you really do get what you pay for.

In some aspects it really can be a matter of safety too. For example, an inadequate playing surface can cause injuries.

I see what you are saying with regards to facilities, makes sense. I guess I would advocate for some of the better NSW Cup / QLD Cup venues then. Some of them are quite good with imaculate grounds and good facilities - not all of course.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
because they don’t want a $1/2billion competition to look like park football maybe?

I take your point, but most of the venues I mentioned (in Sydney anyway) are part-time NRL venues already and I think anyone can excuse the look (empty big ground or empty small ground) during Corona.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There has been some talk that the NRL wants the game to look more professional for international viewers.

I think it is probably more to do with the grounds they have chosen cater better for the biosecurity needs at this time. They also want to limit the amount of grounds used so your plan wouldn't work.

Makes sense - thanks.

YoHadrian

Juniors
Well be like watching Kickby Union is AU. People they say watch it, no one shows up.

Range Rover's with private school stickers on them often have trouble negotiating carparks with speed humps & dirt & water. Wouldn't want to risk the duco.

flippikat

Bench
I see what you are saying with regards to facilities, makes sense. I guess I would advocate for some of the better NSW Cup / QLD Cup venues then. Some of them are quite good with imaculate grounds and good facilities - not all of course.

Absolutely.

Keep in mind that there's been cases of NRL standard grounds occasionally having "less than NRL standard" playing surfaces. There was a game a few years ago at either Brookvale or SFS (I think it was Brookvale) where the grass cover was barely adequate & every step kicked up a ton of sand.

There's probably a fair few decent 2nd tier grounds that could be used, now that crowds aren't a consideration. I think the biggest concerns would be TV broadcast setup (power supply, camera angles, adequate lighting etc)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolutely.

Keep in mind that there's been cases of NRL standard grounds occasionally having "less than NRL standard" playing surfaces. There was a game a few years ago at either Brookvale or SFS (I think it was Brookvale) where the grass cover was barely adequate & every step kicked up a ton of sand.

There's probably a fair few decent 2nd tier grounds that could be used, now that crowds aren't a consideration. I think the biggest concerns would be TV broadcast setup (power supply, camera angles, adequate lighting etc)
I wonder if there are also some lease agreements with Govt's that the are NRL is keen to service?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Absolutely.

Fair enough and as @unforgiven pointed out, the larger, more modern stadiums cater better to the biosecurity measures being taken.

I’ve had the ‘interesting’ experience of being able to follow a ‘sport’ through the pandemic over the last few months. OK...well maybe not a sport, but let’s call it something close to one (rasslin’)

Ive taken a step back the last few weeks and thought about whether there being no crowds at the event has impacted my enjoyment levels while watching. They’ve by in large found a way to limit the number of shots of the empty arena, and even inserted noise via having a few people at ringside

that said - has it impacted my enjoyment and investment in watching it? Absolutely

which brings me to the nrl. Next Thursday we’re back, sans crowds. I expect to feel a similar way to be honest. I’ll still love watching the games, but will it be to the same extent? Probably not

now I’ve seen the unfortunate blow up (lol) in Korea with the dolls. That said - I do think there being noise is the biggest missing element in the viewing experience. Would it be beyond 9/fox to think about how they could incorporate some form of noise without it looking hokey/cheap? I remember a few years back you could listen to the crowd on fox without the irritating commentators.

Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have a set of pre-recorded sounds that play depending on what’s happening on the field? I personally think it’s worth a go...can see the counter arguments as well though so interested in both sides

HAY fox/ch9....where are my royalties for you LIFTING my idea???? I’ll be waiting...I do accept cheque, PayPal and carrier Pidgeon

Latest posts