What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watto storms out of India

I think this might be partly because his wife is about to give birth. But this was a tipping point.

Honestly the whole set up is farcical at the moment. From Sutherland , pat Howard , mickey Arthur and now the players.

Unfortunately I agree with the sentiments about Clarke , he's a tosser. But he's a tosser that can bat and captain well. There have been the run ins with Katich , hussey and now Watson.

And the amazing thing is we had a review to try to sort this stuff out , but a few months out from our most important series things are going to sh*t.

RHCP

Bench
I'm sure he asked Arthur to review his decision afterwards as well.

Farewell Shane, don't let the door hit you on the way out (could bust a rib).

Storm13

Juniors
I think this might be partly because his wife is about to give birth. But this was a tipping point.

Honestly the whole set up is farcical at the moment. From Sutherland , pat Howard , mickey Arthur and now the players.

Unfortunately I agree with the sentiments about Clarke , he's a tosser. But he's a tosser that can bat and captain well. There have been the run ins with Katich , hussey and now Watson.

And the amazing thing is we had a review to try to sort this stuff out , but a few months out from our most important series things are going to sh*t.

What was the run in with Hussey about?

What was the run in with Hussey about?

After hussey's last test there was ( supposedly) a dispute about where the team would celebrate. Clarke wanted to take the team out on a boat on the harbour but hussey wanted to keep it close to the hotel so he could be with his family.

Yeah it doesn't sound like much , but you'd think after what hussey has given Australian cricket he would have gone along with his wishes.

Timbo

Staff member
After hussey's last test there was ( supposedly) a dispute about where the team would celebrate. Clarke wanted to take the team out on a boat on the harbour but hussey wanted to keep it close to the hotel so he could be with his family.

Yeah it doesn't sound like much , but you'd think after what hussey has given Australian cricket he would have gone along with his wishes.

It's more than that.

They had organized a celbration at the SCG and all the team had flown in their families from all over Australia to be part of it.

Then Jamie Packer invited them out on his boat and Clarke wanted to do that instead. Hussey - and a few others - just wanted to have a bbq with their wives and kids.

A few toys went out of the pram on that one apparently.

Slackboy72

Coach
Hand over the Ashes now ... oh wait ... we don't have them to start with. Whoops.
But seriously asking athletes to write papers or give presentations? Anyone who said "f**k that" is in the right.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look it is mainly to bee with his wife. I say this as Watson's no1 fan- he shouldn't have toured in the first place. His heart was always going to be with Lee and their first child and fair enough as well. What they should have done is say to Watto "son...have the baby and then come to India". It would provide less stress for everyone. Why would Watson want to write an essay when he has a baby to worry about!

BunniesMan

Immortal
We should be dancing in the streets. This guy doesn't know how to spell the word team. He has no heart. He is selfish. A big talent but if this means he has played his last test we should be f**king celebrating.

For once I agree with Watson, I would've done the same thing in the situation, no player deserves to be dropped for not handing in a 2,000 word essay on what they bring to the team, if anything Mickey should be telling CA why he should stay as coach.

I disagree. Making them write essays isn't what I would do if I was coach but that's not the point. It doesn't matter if it was an essay or a poem or cartwheels. If your coach tells you to do it and a dozen teammates do it you cannot be so selfish to not bother.

I'm all for enforcing lack of discipline in the harshest way possible.

The series is pretty much over. The last thing we need now is a coach who orders his team to do things and when a quarter of the squad doesn't bother he just overlooks it.

I admire any coach who has the guts to be as strict with his stars as he is with the last player on the list.

Essays and the like are for executives and the like forecasting sales not for cricketers
The fact that it was an essay isn't the point. If it was a lap around the oval or video review session or a net session wouldn't make any difference. The points isn't what was ordered, the point is your coach orders you to do something, you do it. End of story.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
While Watson should have been on the point of being dropped for performance reasons anyway, if he has told them to get f**ked over this, I'm 100% behind him. He'll be a dad for a lot longer than he'll be a cricketer anyway.

Edit: lol@BM. Would be singing a very different tune if it was Phil Hughes and not Watson.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Yes, he can bat well but he can't captain well.
The fact that the team is divided and the team culture is crap are signs that he isn't a good captain.

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about his future as captain.

Each passing day you hear about someone else who doesn't like him or who he doesn't get along with. If we lose 4-0 in India then get whaled twice by England there will have to be questions asked.

Quite frankly he sounds like a total dick, just a total dick who can score runs.

BunniesMan

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ies-home-after-test-axing-20130311-2fw9i.html

Don't let the door hit you on the way out you wanker.
"It's extremely tough to sit here and make that decision. I wish it wasn't the vice-captain, I wish it wasn't Shane Watson and Mitchell Johnson, they are leaders within the team. But this was a moment where we had to make a statement irrespective of who the players were.
"A lot of guys came to my room and did a presentation, a few guys have written fantastic emails, some guys put notes under my door, it was their preference.
"As a leadership group ... this has been the toughest decision that myself, manager Gavin Dovey and captain Michael Clarke have ever had to make."

I respect the above. When the majority of the team did go to the trouble of doing this there is no reason for those 4 to have not bothered.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So a severe fine couldn't suffice?
Watson is a millionaire. Do you think a fine affects him much at all. When you don't make that much money I don't see fines as a consequential punishment. But money can't buy test matches. That is a real punishment.

And I bet from now they'll take orders much more seriously.

Again, people seem to be dwelling on the essay thing. That isn't the issue. It is what it represents.

When you're part of a team you can't just "not bother" following the instructions you feel aren't important enough.

And the way Arthur sounded, I don't think this is the first issue. This is the line in the sand but I get a feeling things have been building for a while.

Xfactor1979

Bench
The perception by the Australian public over cricketers who are too vain over their appearance (without naming names)

but Watgirl is right up there

His sponsorship contract with Gillette all that B-S

How many more test matches would Doug Bollinger have played if he looked like Mitch Johnson

^ Oh crap, pardon my name dropping!

Timbo

Staff member
Watson considering retirement over this now.

I think Watson deserved to be dropped on form. But this is beyond ridiculous.

Latest posts