What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne again?

speedster

Juniors
I like JD and hope he finds a way to get this team stacked with stars but also with major issues going. So far, not so good. We have a tough draw looking ahead and some are talking about us being 1-7 after the first 8 games on top of the fade out last year.

I know they've recently upgraded his contract (why the rush I don't know - was he about to be poached?) but that doesn't guarantee a head coach's job. Only winning and making finals does at a big club like Souths.

Yes, we're only two games into the new season and it's way too early for a thread like this BUT, IF we crash and burn again, do we look at Wayne for another stint to resurrect things and get belief back in the joint? Or do we go for a next-gen up and coming coach of which none come to mind at the minute?

They've been saying Wayne only has a year or two left in him for over 10 years now and he just keeps on going. I wish he stayed and we didn't put a limit on his term at Souths the first time but if he came back, just make it two years and then see how things are going after that rather than already deciding well before that time arrives.

I'm sure I'll cop flak in this thread but I don't mind. What do other people think we should or could do if we need to?

Pauly1

Juniors
Wayne should come back to finish "unfinished business"
Would Wayne have waited till the last week before kick off to send C.Graham into season ending surgery?? NO
Dermatitis and his selected coaching staff did.
That says it all for me.
He knew C Graham had a sternum injury throughout most of last year.
Why the F&&& would you decide to go to surgery before season kick off??
He should have made the decision with HIS doctors at season end.
BTW, I won't be relying on Wighton to be the saviour of this club for this year, we have huge issues with the roster the JD chose.
JD please resign and go be an assistant coach somewhere else.

Womada

Juniors
Yep i agree
JD has taken us down a slippery slope
The last 2 games are just a continuation of the back end of 2023.
Nothing seems to have changed.
The Broncos game was very sad.
8 minutes of brilliance and 72 minutes of lost balls, drop balls, mistakes etc
Even loosing their own scrum feed.
Bring back Wayne. We have the talent just not the talent management

Travitoh

First Grade
Someone who will push the players to their limits and get them fit as f**k. The one non-negotiable when it comes to being successful is fitness and ours is non-existent. Our ability to perform fatigued is terrible and we are trailing the rest of the comp.

Womada

Juniors
Yes, definitely fitness, Sam Burgess would be great for that. No favouritism and kick 'em up the arse.
But also mental attitude . Rabbitohs don't seem to have that . Look at Penrith. Dislike them, but they never loose focus right up to the last second . Always active and thinking. Rabbitohs need motivation and mental discipline

True Womada we need sam back for discipline to run them up the maroubra sand hills with a 40kilo back pack strapped to their backs to get them in fine physical shape something that they are lacking in 2024..im looking forward to hawkins kicking some points too after each try im hoping hawkins kicks 4 or 5 goals on fri night something that reyno did with ease, your never forgotten adam reynolds great memories.

Steenson123

Juniors
Bottom
Wayne should come back to finish "unfinished business"
Would Wayne have waited till the last week before kick off to send C.Graham into season ending surgery?? NO
Dermatitis and his selected coaching staff did.
That says it all for me.
He knew C Graham had a sternum injury throughout most of last year.
Why the F&&& would you decide to go to surgery before season kick off??
He should have made the decision with HIS doctors at season end.
BTW, I won't be relying on Wighton to be the saviour of this club for this year, we have huge issues with the roster the JD chose.
JD please resign and go be an assistant coach somewhere else.
Bottom line as I stated least season in winter: Demetriou is a complete dud, no charisma no intelligence and no leadership. Graham 's injury should have been dealt with last September, they resign him then allow him to drift for months sans surgical repair. Slater is the Coach I would go after in a big way. He is intense and loves winning. He will be the next Bellamy or Bennet.

Steenson123

Juniors
We lose to
Yep i agree
JD has taken us down a slippery slope
The last 2 games are just a continuation of the back end of 2023.
Nothing seems to have changed.
The Broncos game was very sad.
8 minutes of brilliance and 72 minutes of lost balls, drop balls, mistakes etc
Even loosing their own scrum feed.
Bring back Wayne. We have the talent just not the talent management
We lose to Easts and these are the stark facts.
In his last 16 starts Demetriou has gone 4-12 that is he has a 25% win rate. In that span the squad has conceeded 30+ in 7-8 games. The squad is allergic to defending. Keep this trajectory going and the club will soon be with Balmain and St George. IRRELEVANT. Is Crowe concerned at all?

Bottom

Bottom line as I stated least season in winter: Demetriou is a complete dud, no charisma no intelligence and no leadership. Graham 's injury should have been dealt with last September, they resign him then allow him to drift for months sans surgical repair. Slater is the Coach I would go after in a big way. He is intense and loves winning. He will be the next Bellamy or Bennet.
Spot on you nailed it

I like JD and hope he finds a way to get this team stacked with stars but also with major issues going. So far, not so good. We have a tough draw looking ahead and some are talking about us being 1-7 after the first 8 games on top of the fade out last year.

I know they've recently upgraded his contract (why the rush I don't know - was he about to be poached?) but that doesn't guarantee a head coach's job. Only winning and making finals does at a big club like Souths.

Yes, we're only two games into the new season and it's way too early for a thread like this BUT, IF we crash and burn again, do we look at Wayne for another stint to resurrect things and get belief back in the joint? Or do we go for a next-gen up and coming coach of which none come to mind at the minute?

They've been saying Wayne only has a year or two left in him for over 10 years now and he just keeps on going. I wish he stayed and we didn't put a limit on his term at Souths the first time but if he came back, just make it two years and then see how things are going after that rather than already deciding well before that time arrives.

I'm sure I'll cop flak in this thread but I don't mind. What do other people think we should or could do if we need to?

No flak from me it was a good read id add sam burgess under bennetts wing as assistant coach for two years id like to see that!

Travitoh

First Grade
Has anyone ever been successful after replacing Bennett? Good coach but not so sure he's a good mentor.

We need a new coach undoubtedly who that will be will be in souths hands as I've quoted many times before a bennett/sam burgess combination could only spell success.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Wayne Bennett isnt the answer. I dont think we should be considering sacking JD until the seasons over otherwise we're writing off 2024 and its way too early for that.

Latest posts