What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett to join Souths in 2020

Travitoh

First Grade
I look forward to seeing what Bennett can do with AR. He has coached some fantastic halves over the years and i hope that the name Adam Reynolds is on that list after 2022.

Pommy

Coach
But he could have said nothing or could have said it is a good challenge, that would have sufficed. But he said more, that's the point.

He couldn’t have said nothing, all sports people say these things and unless they have signed for their boy hood club I’m not stupid enough to believe any of it.

Cheap Charlie

Juniors
Caution ladies.

I recall a former 'greatest coach of all time', one Jack Gibson, at Souths in 1979/78. Didn't make the semis.

Bennet's record speaks for itself, of course, but he isn't better than Gibson.

Lean years ahead.

ThingFish

Juniors
Caution ladies.

I recall a former 'greatest coach of all time', one Jack Gibson, at Souths in 1979/78. Didn't make the semis.

Lean years ahead.
Gibson didn’t have the cattle back then and the club was near broke at the time. Bennett has a good foundation to build on. I’d rate Bennett better than Gibson. Bennett has 7 premierships to Gibson’s 5, they both have a 62% win rate, but Bennett has maintained his over 809 games, Gibson 394 games. Gibson only coached 6 rep games and never the national side, Bennett has coached 56 rep games and won 34 of those, he Coached 2 nations, 3 if you include his stint as assistant coach to WC champs NZ. Gibson was a SuperCoach but Bennett is the SuperCoach.

ouryears

Bench
Caution ladies.

Lean years ahead.
Oh bull, dead set bull.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Gibson didn’t have the cattle back then and the club was near broke at the time. Bennett has a good foundation to build on. I’d rate Bennett better than Gibson. Bennett has 7 premierships to Gibson’s 5, they both have a 62% win rate, but Bennett has maintained his over 809 games, Gibson 394 games. Gibson only coached 6 rep games and never the national side, Bennett has coached 56 rep games and won 34 of those, he Coached 2 nations, 3 if you include his stint as assistant coach to WC champs NZ. Gibson was a SuperCoach but Bennett is the SuperCoach.

Complete nonsense.

Gibson was an innovator.....

Bennett just followed the cattle....and really hasn't transformed the game much at all.

Obviously never saw many games from the 70s and 80s.

ThingFish

Juniors
Complete nonsense.

Gibson was an innovator.....

Bennett just followed the cattle....and really hasn't transformed the game much at all.

Obviously never saw many games from the 70s and 80s.
Back then anything other than a run around was innovative. I never denied his genius. There’s a reason we don’t see “mousetraps” , “flying wedges”, balls up the jumper and “backwards bombs” now. They were great novelties but hardly ever worked. His great gift to the game was looking outside the game for ideas, the professional approach and man management, those were true innovations for the time. He did change the landscape, but the game has evolved and the Bellamy’s and the Bennett’s rule the new landscape and winning is the measure now not innovation.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Back then anything other than a run around was innovative. I never denied his genius. There’s a reason we don’t see “mousetraps” , “flying wedges”, balls up the jumper and “backwards bombs” now. They were great novelties but hardly ever worked. His great gift to the game was looking outside the game for ideas, the professional approach and man management, those were true innovations for the time. He did change the landscape, but the game has evolved and the Bellamy’s and the Bennett’s rule the new landscape and winning is the measure now not innovation.
Gibson was innovative AND won.

Gibson pioneered the use of video, computers AND scientific fitness methods in a semi-professional age.

There's nothing genius about winning a series of premierships with the qld state of origin team.

Pommy

Coach
Apparently Broncos will have to pay out $500k to do the swap for 2019.
I assume this is to pay out Bennett. I can understand Bennett is trying to get what he feels he is owed but a deal needs to be struck for the good of Souths and sees him here next season.

Pommy

Coach
Brisbane aren’t budging yet.

At this stage looks like we are stuck with Seibs next season. I’m not happy about that at all tbh.

I wouldn’t worry yet, I expect that parties will come to a compromise. Bennett isnt going to walk out without a good chunk of his money and Brisbane won’t just agree to pay it all out.

Gibson was innovative AND won.

Gibson pioneered the use of video, computers AND scientific fitness methods in a semi-professional age.

There's nothing genius about winning a series of premierships with the qld state of origin team.

Also Jack Gibson had a rather firm rule that he never stayed anywhere and coached for longer than 3 years as he felt by the end of the third year the players would switch off. By moving on he would enable the club to renew itself with a new coach.

Additionally Jack Gibson had other interests, he was one of the principal people involved in getting what is now the RLPA established. He was a part time player manager too between coaching stints.

As to rep coach opportunities, he often thought he didn't get offered them due to politics. Jack Gibson was not afraid to ruffle feathers if it benefitted his team (e.g. his campaign against Referee Greg Hartley), but he knew it did make him a marked man with some people who'd pay him back in other ways.

You can add in that before Jack came along things like tackle counts, hit ups etc were all but unheard of in coaching circles.

Latest posts