What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett

Wayne Bennett is...

• Past his used-by date

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is nearing his used-by date

• No longer has the Broncos best interests at heart

• No longer has the Queensland Origin sides best interests at heart

• Is still a champion coach

• Who gives two F's about Wayne Bennett and the Broncos, anyway?

• Total voters

TheROCK

Juniors
Pffft, this is just a way to Bennet Bash. Hence the poll. :roll:

Bennet is still the champion coach. 16 year with the Broncos, what a champion.

Blade

Juniors
TheROCK said:
Pffft, this is just a way to Bennet Bash. Hence the poll. :roll:

Bennet is still the champion coach. 16 year with the Broncos, what a champion.

Actually..no mate.

I'm a huge Broncos fan. A couple of other members here can vouch for that if you question it.

The poll was a lighthearted/serious thread to see what members think of W.Bennett in light of recent SOO-QLD selections, and hence strong views and comments forwarded soon thereafter on this board.

For the record, I voted "Is still a champion coach' if you're wondering.

nrl-brisbane-logo.gif
:)

Nashy

Juniors
You may be one hell of a fan... but don't under estimate our Rocky.... he if one hell of a Broncos fan too.

*Waves to Rock... hey man*

As for Bennett, why have polls like this if you only have 1 good option. He's a deadset legend, you won't find a better coach!

Blade

Juniors
Nashy said:
You may be one hell of a fan... but don't under estimate our Rocky.... he if one hell of a Broncos fan too.

*Waves to Rock... hey man*

As for Bennett, why have polls like this if you only have 1 good option. He's a deadset legend, you won't find a better coach!

Welcome Nashy! :) I'm certain Rocky is as bigger Broncos fan as any of us here. That's great!

However, the poll wasn't posted to downgrade our great coach. Read my earlier qoute below:

Blade said:
The poll was a lighthearted/serious thread to see what members think of W.Bennett in light of recent SOO-QLD selections, and hence strong views and comments forwarded soon thereafter on this board.

For the record, I voted "Is still a champion coach' if you're wondering.

:idea:

salivor

First Grade
Unlike other Broncos fans I can see the downsides to Wayne Bennett.

My problem is his relationship with the media. Take a bloke like Matt Elliot, hes bent over backwards to make himself accessible to the media and its great for the game. Bennett on the other hand chooses to stand at press conferences and not give great answers. We all know about his past games with the media. For origin he was only available for 15 minutes. He doesn't turn up to pre-season coaches meeting, he doesn't turn up to anything. He couldn't even be at the origin launch. Whether he likes it or not a coach has to be able to handle the media.

I also think Brisbane should've wound up his time at the club last year. Craig Bellamy was waiting in the wings and had served his time under Bennett. The problem is we've now lost the ideal replacement coach and have to watch him turn the Storm's fortunes around. Langer and Walters are legends of the club but I certainly don't see them coaching the first grade side.

All the while I think Bennett is going stale. You can't expect to have 16 years in the job and keep things fresh. The Broncos are in a rut and they look like staying in it for a while. Bennett is playing the mates game too much for me. He basically rolled out the red carpet for Sailor and Tuqiri to leave the club. He needs to get back some fire in the belly and chop down some egos. We're not going to win a competition with this current squad yet the Broncos seem content to just re-sign and think that one of 3 five-eighths and a utility is going to be the halfback that'll lead us to glory in the place of Langer.

His record and what hes done as the foundation coach is amazing. I'm sure 100 years down the track he'll still be remembered as the Broncos best coach. You've just gotta ask when is it time to hang up the boots? If hes waiting on a premiership he could be waiting a long time if he follows the current path.

Trojan Horse

Juniors
Good post bronco.

bronco said:
My problem is his relationship with the media. Take a bloke like Matt Elliot, hes bent over backwards to make himself accessible to the media and its great for the game. Bennett on the other hand chooses to stand at press conferences and not give great answers. We all know about his past games with the media. For origin he was only available for 15 minutes. He doesn't turn up to pre-season coaches meeting, he doesn't turn up to anything. He couldn't even be at the origin launch. Whether he likes it or not a coach has to be able to handle the media.

Bennett's relationship with the media has always been a love-hate one. But here's what I've never understood: Why does the media continue to pursue matters with Wayne Bennett, if they are well aware that he's as flamboyant and responsive as an olive? Sure, they're doing their job (though at times I'm lost as to what it is), but you'd think after 15 years or so of persuing Mr Personality, with nothing short of (predominantly) unproductive interviews, you'd think they'd say "screw this." This, I've never been able to grasp.

bronco said:
All the while I think Bennett is going stale. You can't expect to have 16 years in the job and keep things fresh. The Broncos are in a rut and they look like staying in it for a while. Bennett is playing the mates game too much for me. He basically rolled out the red carpet for Sailor and Tuqiri to leave the club. He needs to get back some fire in the belly and chop down some egos. We're not going to win a competition with this current squad yet the Broncos seem content to just re-sign and think that one of 3 five-eighths and a utility is going to be the halfback that'll lead us to glory in the place of Langer.

I don't know about Bennett going "stale." I think he's been stale for a few seasons now. I think he no longer possess the passion and drive he displayed throughout the mid-late 1990's era; the Broncos most successful period since their birth IMO. I truly believe both Tuqiri and (in particular) Sailor would have departed...regardless of Bennett's or the Bronco's pleads. Union expressed in no secretive terms that they would get both of them, regardless of the money and attention involved. Sailor was a huge loss to the Broncos, but I think it's a relatively well known fact that he was always going to Union is pursuit of the larger purse, as well as the fame and fortune. The nature of the beast that Sailor is.

bronco said:
His record and what hes done as the foundation coach is amazing. I'm sure 100 years down the track he'll still be remembered as the Broncos best coach. You've just gotta ask when is it time to hang up the boots? If hes waiting on a premiership he could be waiting a long time if he follows the current path.

His record at the club is truly outstanding and most possibly will never be surpassed in our lifetime. I must disagree though with the second part of your quoted statement. The Broncos are still a formidable outfit, and, even though they have been hot-cold lately, I can't see them waiting too many NRL seasons more for another premiership title. Any team with Darren Lockyer (Mr Consistency) can never be dismissed as a potential and genuine premiership winning outfit....regardless, to some degree, of how they are performing as a team. He is that damn good.

Note: I'm not a Brisbane Broncos supporter.

alex

Juniors
The majority at the moment doesn't give two F's about Wayne Bennet and the Broncos :lol:.

salivor

First Grade
Trojan it beats me why the media still persist with him. It is dissapointing though that hes always been like this because if you've even had the chance to read some of his columns for the Courier Mail you'd see he has alot that he can offer league.

I probably agree that Sailor was going regardless, I don't think Tuqiri was as certain about leaving. Its not really the losing of those players but the way Bennett handled it. If I had the time I'd dig up some of his comments from the time, they were more the comments of a coach looking out for the best interests of a mate than of the club.

You won't get any arguement at all on Lockyer. We're always a chance with him in the game. If our forward pack really got their act together I'd give us a bit more of a chance. Tallis hasn't been the same since his injury and Carlaw and Meyers have failed to play to their potential in the last couple of years. To me though it all comes down to the halves and you need a quality half to win the comp. We had Langer for 4 of the premierships and then Walters in 2000. Berrigan, Ikin, Maguire, and Prince don't cut the mustard for me. Brett Seymour seems to be our long term hope.

You can't go past our record against the top sides in the last 3 years. Its been pittiful to say the least. When the Broncos can start beating the top sides on a consistant basis I'll feel alot more confident of them winning the competition.

TheROCK

Juniors
Bronco, you're absolutely crazy. How on earth is Bennet stale? Why on earth should he of stepped down last season? Just because Craig Bellamy wanted a go? :?

Have you seen the NRL ladder lately? We're leading the damn thing. Credit to the players, yes, credit to Bennet, DEFINATELY.

Saying Bennet is stale is just ridiculous. We're still dominating the comp, and that's because of Bennet. I BET you didn’t think we would be leading the comp after 14 rounds. I bet you didn't. I don't reckon many people would either. We lost so many players this year, but we continue to dominate the competition. Bennet is the answer.

salivor

First Grade
We're dominating the comp? Well thats news to me, if thats how your seeing it out of your one eye. We struggled through the early rounds. Got thrashed by the Warriors, lost to the Roosters then recovered. We thought we were on top after the Bulldogs match but its become quite obvious the Doggies are just bloody useless. Then we go and stuff up against Newcastle. The Broncos haven't been convincing for 3 years now. They've gone stale and so has Bennett. If you think the Broncos have been anything special and Bennett has shown any creativity since 2000 then your the one who is absolutely crazy.

Right now we're on target to bow out in another major semi final. When it comes to the crunch end of the season I don't believe we can compete with the likes of the Roosters and Knights.

As for Bennett retiring, yes he should've. Have you really convinced yourself that Bennett will be around forever? They'll just roll in his coffin for years to come to coach the team. Hes going to bow out sooner or later and now Langer and Walters are being moulded as the replacements. Bellamy has the goods to be a top NRL coach but thats going to have to be at another club.

TheROCK

Juniors
Want to know why we've been stale over the past 3 seasons? We've lost so many quality players, and we've been blooding young news ones. Simple.

Have you forgotten that in 2001 and 2002 we nearly made it to the GF. Nearly there, just that last match for the past 2 years have been unlucky.

We've been stale for 2 years, not 3. We won the comp in 2000, what more do you want?

We continued to lose players again this year, no one gave us a hope of leading the comp anytime at all this year, and it was suppose to be a rebuilding year for us yet we've just beaten the competition leaders after origin, and we're leading the comp. Stale my ass. If we're stale, then EVERY OTHER team is stale. Raiders had their BIGGEST test this week, and they failed it.

And I don't expect Bennet to go on until he is 80, give it at least 2 years until he retires. If he was stale, you would see us at the bottom of the ladder somewhere.

You've got this to thought in your head that the Broncos have the best team on paper, therefore they should be winning the comp for the past few years. Well guess what, we don't, so stop expecting so much from us.

We ain't stale, Bennet ain't stale.

salivor

First Grade
TheROCK said:
Want to know why we've been stale over the past 3 seasons? We've lost so many quality players, and we've been blooding young news ones. Simple.

Not so. That young blood is still enough to make a very successful nucleus but its not working. We still struggle against the top teams and manage to put ourselves in awkward situations against the little teams.

Have you forgotten that in 2001 and 2002 we nearly made it to the GF. Nearly there, just that last match for the past 2 years have been unlucky.
We've been stale for 2 years, not 3. We won the comp in 2000, what more do you want?

So 2003 is not a year?

We continued to lose players again this year, no one gave us a hope of leading the comp anytime at all this year, and it was suppose to be a rebuilding year for us yet we've just beaten the competition leaders after origin, and we're leading the comp. Stale my ass. If we're stale, then EVERY OTHER team is stale. Raiders had their BIGGEST test this week, and they failed it.

If you actually believe Canberra are the best team in the comp and you think they we have what it takes to match it with a full strength in form Roosters outfit then you have bigger problems that I thought.

And I don't expect Bennet to go on until he is 80, give it at least 2 years until he retires. If he was stale, you would see us at the bottom of the ladder somewhere.

You've got this to thought in your head that the Broncos have the best team on paper, therefore they should be winning the comp for the past few years. Well guess what, we don't, so stop expecting so much from us.

I've got this thought in my head that the Broncos have the best team on paper? It would be nice if you'd actually read any of my comments in this thread but it appears your just having an arguement over something you've just skim read from my posts. I've said a couple of times now we don't have the side to win this comp because we don't have the halves. I think the rest of the squad has the ability to win a comp but we are lacking in the most crucial area.

Bennett is stale. All hes done is bring in Scott Prince who has been a diaster story from day one. When that fails he moves Berrigan to halfback. Berrigan is a utility and a great nippy little player but not a conventional halfback. To make up for this Bennett thinks Ikin is going to do the job of being the organiser. He may be recovering for a knee injury but he hasn't shown anything all year. No step, bloody poor kicking game and hes not much of an organiser which makes you think why is he there at all.[/quote]

Green Eye

Juniors
bronco said:
If you actually believe Canberra are the best team in the comp and you think they we have what it takes to match it with a full strength in form Roosters outfit then you have bigger problems that I thought.

OI!!! Watch ya self buddy!!! :lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
bronco said:
TheROCK said:

Not so. That young blood is still enough to make a very successful nucleus but its not working. We still struggle against the top teams and manage to put ourselves in awkward situations against the little teams.

So 2003 is not a year?

I've got this thought in my head that the Broncos have the best team on paper? It would be nice if you'd actually read any of my comments in this thread but it appears your just having an arguement over something you've just skim read from my posts. I've said a couple of times now we don't have the side to win this comp because we don't have the halves. I think the rest of the squad has the ability to win a comp but we are lacking in the most crucial area.

Bennett is stale. All hes done is bring in Scott Prince who has been a diaster story from day one. When that fails he moves Berrigan to halfback. Berrigan is a utility and a great nippy little player but not a conventional halfback. To make up for this Bennett thinks Ikin is going to do the job of being the organiser. He may be recovering for a knee injury but he hasn't shown anything all year. No step, bloody poor kicking game and hes not much of an organiser which makes you think why is he there at all.
[/quote]

Why bag Prince? The guy came to the club, started slowly, was actually in some good form and building on it when he broke his leg, then rebroke it first game back, 2 years gone, and is now on the come back trail. Give the guy a break, two years on the sideline will take it's toll. Prince is the halfback of the future, he will be in the top side soon enough.

Ikin killed it in 2000, and in fact was targeted by the roosters in grand final with a cheep shot to take him out of the game. Again though, 2 years on the sideline, what do you want these two guys to come back all guns blazing? I think not.

The only problem I have is Ikin not being dropped for a more in form Prince or Seymour.

On the Roosters comment, yes an inform full strength Broncos side can beat an inform full strength Roosters side.

The Broncos have the halves to win the comp, hell the Broncos have better halves than most of the other teams when in form. Only the Roosters, Knights, Warriors and Bulldogs have btter halves, but they don't have Lockyer, we do.

TheROCK

Juniors
Bronco, you're not making any sense whatsoever. You say we don't have the halves to win the comp, and that's why Bennet is stale? Um, we don't have any other halves to work with that are ready for first grade, so you can't do much more than that. And don't you ever knock Prince. He's had a horrid run with injuries, and the games he is played, he's showed some really good form. He's killing it in Toowoomba.

And you're wrong, YOU DO EXPECT US TO WIN THE COMP. If you're not, then what are you expecting? Where do you think the Broncos should be on the ladder right now? Where abouts? And how does this make Bennet stale?

So 2003 is not a year?

Um, if we're stale this year, then so is every other team. If you think the Roosters should be favourites for this comp, then you're kidding yourself. They've had trouble beating top teams, and they've had trouble beating the crap teams.

We did match it with them earlier in the year, and that was when we weren't in our best form and the Roosters were.

Latest posts