What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCR

ripper

Knowsley - You should no as well as everyelse does that its not Swordfishes fault EA are pricks when it comes to liscences

Blunty

Juniors
The matrix kicking system in NRL should stay, I thought it was awsome. WCR is amaing though, It really is Jonah Lomu's 2. Great efort, but hopefully they can get licenses for the next one.

ripper

Goleel said:
, best you can hope is the rugby forum comes back online again and you'll get another weeks discussion there before it goes down for another few months.

Eastrules is finally gone and Dom is in charge of the Server.

Phillips

Referee
WCR shits all over the NRL game

graphics are 10000 times better and its more realistic

knowsleyroader

Juniors
tHe_MaC said:
knowsleyroader all the credit you have gained has just been completely lost.

Did I have any credit ? Ohhh right okay...... NRL does everything I want and the depth wins over for me. Im not swayed by slick fancy graphics.

Dragon

Coach
hmm, i think ill try this, how do you say....World championship rugby...

Hmmmmmm indeed.

ak47

Juniors
i got my copy last week

EB's across australia have it everywhere

its the best game out right now - if ur a sports fan

runs rings around rugby league
shits on EA's rugby efforts

its JLR in a new machine

Serge - no they havent started making a sequel...but they have started projecting the budget for a sequel, which suggests a sequel is coming, and they forcasted this before the original even came out....
Hopefully for the sequel they can schnap up some liscense and put in franchise mode

Sidhe - u have mighty competition now.......its going to be tuff competing with these guys...luckily for u guys at Sidhe, Swordfish prolly wont go near league.....but u have missed your union opportunity window.

ak47

Juniors
knowsleyroader said:
tHe_MaC said:
knowsleyroader all the credit you have gained has just been completely lost.

Did I have any credit ? Ohhh right okay...... NRL does everything I want and the depth wins over for me. Im not swayed by slick fancy graphics.

ur obviously not swayed by slick awesome gameplay either

and if we all used ur logic of "depth" - we would all still own Rugby 2k4, over WCR.

no u didnt have any credit either

hows the fact in real life - Union is more proned to the stop start play.
But in the video games thus far - it is SJRL that is the stop start game with the ref and his calls and forwards passes, whereas WCR is the non-stop fast free flowing action, that league would normally be in real life

Funny how 2 sports can be changed into a video game, and swap roles!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I disagree the RL game is not such a stop start game. When you mod it correctly it really plays like real life. RL does have stops and starts the problem is that WCR is obviously not realistic if it is non-stop as you claim

Goleel

Juniors
WCR is free flowing, for sure, even a little too much, I get an advantage for a penalty I desperately need to win the game, but I can't give the ball away to take the penalty and instead have to keep playing on. Not to mention how many knock ons and forward passes get ignored. Free flowing is good, but WCR is probably a little too lax on the rules. No offside rule? Good effort. Playing WCR, JLR and Rugby 2001, you'd be forgiven for thinking that if you make a break in rugby, and get quick ball out of the ruck, the guys still running back onside are free to tackle the first receiver while offside or even better, just intercept the pass. Sometimes rules are neccessary.

WCR's biggest flaw I think is that its just JLR revisited, sure its fun, I'm loving playing it, but after a few games I'm getting tired of it and I always have the 'I've played this before' feeling. It's a good game, but it needed to be more of a jump over JLR. The camera angles are horrendous too.

ak47

Juniors
Goleel said:
WCR is free flowing, for sure, even a little too much, I get an advantage for a penalty I desperately need to win the game, but I can't give the ball away to take the penalty and instead have to keep playing on. Not to mention how many knock ons and forward passes get ignored. Free flowing is good, but WCR is probably a little too lax on the rules. No offside rule? Good effort. Playing WCR, JLR and Rugby 2001, you'd be forgiven for thinking that if you make a break in rugby, and get quick ball out of the ruck, the guys still running back onside are free to tackle the first receiver while offside or even better, just intercept the pass. Sometimes rules are neccessary.

WCR's biggest flaw I think is that its just JLR revisited, sure its fun, I'm loving playing it, but after a few games I'm getting tired of it and I always have the 'I've played this before' feeling. It's a good game, but it needed to be more of a jump over JLR. The camera angles are horrendous too.

agreed about the offsides - however they are there, just rarely get called....would rather something rarely called than overly called like NRL's offsides and forwards passes, which makes it too stop-start.

i love the camera angles tho in WCR
the side view from JLR is back, and is what NRL was lacking.
NRL's side view didnt get it right and is too close and doesnt get both defensive lines on the screen, and/or the touch line nearest to screen.

Dirt on the jerseys
Defense on the try line

everything in WCR is done better than NRL.
WCR wont need much of a patch, if at all.
NRL may be much better when patched - but if they got it right the first time no patches are neccessary - just shows the lack of experience in developing games, and/or the misuse of funds going into the game
if WCr gets a patch its for the licsensing issues, not gameplay wise

Goleel

Juniors
I dunno about the cameras, ive never been a fan of the side on view, running into the screen, it makes kicking field goals and seeing where the fullback is impossible, while running away from the screen, you can't see your own defensive line when the AI is on the attack, sure I normally can compensate for it, but it could be done better, the dynamic behind the ball camera would be sweet, I can't believe its not included.

I'll agree that the NRL side on view was poor though, you couldn't see the close sideline, that's shocking, and it showed just how many passes warped forward or backwards.

WCR is more pick up and play than RL, when you've had a few games with league you can avoid forward passes, penalties for offside and high tackles, and it becomes a very good game, even better when stats are changed and so on. Both games have their faults in multiplayer though, RL has too many offside penalties and bugs like if you kick the ball straight over the black dot in 2 player the goal isn't counted, WCR has the never ending turning over of possession and not knowing where the ball is because both teams just use the big hit excessively, and whoever can button bash faster wins the mauls and scrums, and since over half the tackles in 2 player are mauls (because the big hit goes wrong) it gets a little unfair.

Still, both are bloody awesome efforts and I have great fun with both, unfortunately neither is an ideal multiplayer game, especially when you have mates like mine who'll blame the game for any loss they have, giving them fuel for that just makes multiplayer even more difficult.

ak47

Juniors
Goleel said:
I dunno about the cameras, ive never been a fan of the side on view, running into the screen, it makes kicking field goals and seeing where the fullback is impossible, while running away from the screen, you can't see your own defensive line when the AI is on the attack, sure I normally can compensate for it, but it could be done better, the dynamic behind the ball camera would be sweet, I can't believe its not included.

I'll agree that the NRL side on view was poor though, you couldn't see the close sideline, that's shocking, and it showed just how many passes warped forward or backwards.

WCR is more pick up and play than RL, when you've had a few games with league you can avoid forward passes, penalties for offside and high tackles, and it becomes a very good game, even better when stats are changed and so on. Both games have their faults in multiplayer though, RL has too many offside penalties and bugs like if you kick the ball straight over the black dot in 2 player the goal isn't counted, WCR has the never ending turning over of possession and not knowing where the ball is because both teams just use the big hit excessively, and whoever can button bash faster wins the mauls and scrums, and since over half the tackles in 2 player are mauls (because the big hit goes wrong) it gets a little unfair.

Still, both are bloody awesome efforts and I have great fun with both, unfortunately neither is an ideal multiplayer game, especially when you have mates like mine who'll blame the game for any loss they have, giving them fuel for that just makes multiplayer even more difficult.

I reckon the mulitplayer in WCR is perfect

The only thing in multiplayer that ur mate can whinge about cause he lost is something he had no control of, random things ...knocks ons etc

In NRL u got
Knock ons
high tackles by CPU players
forward passes
auto scrums
offsides by CPU players
auto bounce out after kickoff
black dot misses

In WCR u got
Knocks ons

here u can see the greater list of random occuring moments is in NRL, meaning NRL is the game with more 2 player issues, due to non-cntrollable acts within the game that could depict the result of the match
In WCR only a knock-on is uncontrollable, negating any other excuses for ur mate to justify his loss

In 2 player WCR kills NRL.
Less arguing and less random moments makes for a fairer match based on skill

IMO WCR is the best 2 player game i have ever played - although PES3 and Tiger Woods are also great 2 player, with no game fualts depicting the result

Serge

Juniors
so obviously u like WCR AK47 but i think ur a over exagerating a fair bit. Plus is anyone else having problems getting on to the dam rugby forum?

Dragon

Coach
I got this game yesterday, and while i think its a great game, Rugby fans i feel will be a little surprised and dissapointed.

Graphics: I think the graphics of the game a pretty nice, easier on the eye than RL. They seem to suit the style of the game, very arcade-like. Stadiums could use some work, and i think the crowd is pretty poor (although when they show the close up of the fans after a try, it looks great!) The menus are very slick and look great. Player animations are good and i espescially like the try animations, full marks there.

8/10

Sound: This is where i think the game loses marks. The commentary is sub-standard, or maybe im just spoilt by Vossys tremendous calling in RL. The crowd nois is way too soft, and they dont get exited sometimes when they should. The commentator will say something like "The crowd are bringing the house down" and you could hear a pin drop in the stadium. One nice touch is when England playes, the crowd sings Swing low, Sweet chariot. In game music is good IMO, simple stuff but doesnt get on your nerves.

6/10

Gameplay: I love the fast free flowing feel. Swordfish have gone for all out arcade action. This game is far from simulation, and i think some will be dissapointed with this. Im no rugby fan, but i like this game, because i dont think its much like rugby at all. Forget kicking duels, you wont be able to find the line as the fullback will always be under the ball. The kicking system is good thouhg, and the grubber is sublime fun. Putting bombs up is once again pretty hard, and i wonder why they didnt make it easier??? tackling is good, but i find myself using the 'driving tackle' all the time. This tackle knocks the ball out every time, and its only a matter of a few defensive tackles before you gain posession. Penaltys are few and far between, which suits the games style, but as stated earlier in this post, rules are there for a reason, and offside is non-existent in this game. Goal kicking seems like they put no effort into it at all. Those that have played JLR will know exactly what its like. Its quite a poor effort i feel, but once again, i dont think the developers wanted the action to slow down at all. The only way i seem to be able to score is to shift the ball wide over and over again, and going up the middle is only necessary against the harder teams, as you must have players near-by to ruck the ball immediately, or be turned over. Rucks and mauls are done so well in this game, as are line-outs. they wont need changing in the sequal.

8/10

Overall the game is fast paced fun, and the challenge mode is the stand out for me. Hours of fun trying to beat the classic matches, and beat the All-stars with every team, not to mention survival mode. I suspect Swordfish will put a little more time into the sequal, making gameplay a little more true to its real-life counterpart. For now, this game is enjoyable, and a blast multiplayer. But i think there isnt much longevity in this title.

How does it compare to RL? Well imo, i think RL just wins out in the end. I still play it to this day, and i cant see myself playing WCR in a few months time. Its a great game, but after learning all the kicks, spreading the ball wide and sprinting, theres not much alse to it. With RL, you can play a more measured game and you are rewarded for smart play. Sidhe will do well though to learn a few things from this game and im sure they are giving it a full work out to see what they can improve on for the next RL title.

WCR is a sweet game, so give it a hire if you are unsure. I layed down $80 for it, and im not dissapointed, cant wait for the sequal. Exciting times ahead for us gamers! :)

ak47

Juniors
Serge said:
so obviously u like WCR AK47 but i think ur a over exagerating a fair bit. Plus is anyone else having problems getting on to the dam rugby forum?

Yes, it is the best game i own right now for gameplay
I cant get enough - especially 2 player - the JLR battles are back with sore thumbs
single player obviously the depth is questioning - but the challenge in difficulty is so far negating the small amount of depth.."Intensive care" mode speeks for itself, and its a whole new ballgame....literally everything u did in the first 2 difficulties needs to be revamped and changed, and ur whole gameplan takes a new learning curve...its not all sped up like NRL is...the AI gets smarter.
I may be overexagerating a bit, but being labelled as "the best rugby game ever" which this game is praised in many mags already, suggests I am not the only one whom agrees.

P.S - I am a league fan, so dont think i am on here to help the rah rah boys....its just they make better "lateral passing" sims of the union kind in video games.

Yeah the Rugby Forum is down today

inertia666

Juniors
i've just ordered it online and expect it in a few days. if there's scope to modify the team data i will maybe attempt to do it.

inertia666

Juniors
i've just ordered it online and expect it in a few days. if there's scope to modify the team data i will maybe attempt to do it.