What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCR

-JJ-

Juniors
From what I've been hearing, maybe next time the game is made there should be an arcade or simulation style of game, where arcade can be better to pick up and play, but simulation will be more 'rugby' like. Anyway, it sounds pretty good, and I can't wait for my copy to arrive from Australia.

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah the good old rugby forum is down again, how long'd it last this time, one week?

My point about multiplayer is that while RL has more annoying features (offsides, high tackles, forward passes, etc...) WCR has had some shocking moments with me and some mates where the ball would just be spilt constantly because of the heavy tackle, and it'd end up a clusterf**k around the ball until a penalty was given for off the ball, someone would randomly pass or kick the ball out of the ruckus or one player would magically swoop through and make a break. Sure we managed to control it after a while, but nobody so far has used the standard tackle at all, its all just big hits, which makes it a mess.

I've been loving the challenge modes though, the classic matches were a bit too easy, compared to JLR, but the beat all stars is impossible, I just managed to beat em with Uruguay today, after about 7 or 8 attempts, although in one game I was up 7-0 at halftime, the AI got a penalty but play went on, I kicked the ball out and it landed behind the ad boards and all the players just run into them trying to get to the ball. I wasn't happy.

lionmaul

Juniors
Can any one tell me if the game is cd or dvd for the ps2? I can only play cd imports on my ps2 and I am trying to decide if I should get the ps2 version or the pc, although my pc is slow p3 500mhz 250mb, geforce 4 64, so if I can get the ps2 version I would. Is this game even worth importing??? I have Stacey Jones for the pc and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I have to admit I do not like the sound of the hard tackle knocking the ball loose every time, is this really every time or just frequently, what is the point in doing any other tackle? Can the offensive team set up a maul or can it only be set up by the defense doing a normal tackle?

Cheers and Salu

the AI got a penalty but play went on, I kicked the ball out and it landed behind the ad boards and all the players just run into them trying to get to the ball. I wasn't happy

Which stadium did this happen in???

ak47

Juniors
I've been loving the challenge modes though, the classic matches were a bit too easy, compared to JLR, but the beat all stars is impossible, I just managed to beat em with Uruguay today, after about 7 or 8 attempts, although in one game I was up 7-0 at halftime, the AI got a penalty but play went on, I kicked the ball out and it landed behind the ad boards and all the players just run into them trying to get to the ball. I wasn't happy.[/quote]

How far is uraguay after italy

i am up to italy and didnt play it last night - was too busy beating my mate to a crisp in 2 player.

i have tried italy 3 times and yet to score a try against the all stars

Goleel

Juniors
They're only one or two from Italy, Argentina or Samoa might be in between. Then its Japan, who aren't so bad because of their speed, but they don't win any rucks. Tonga have nothing, which is making it tough.

Best tactic I've found is attempt field goals whenever in range, restart if the AI score, and if you can score a try, the best way is to spread to one wing, get outside the opposite and draw the fullback, then try a sweeping move to the other wing, since the fullback has been taken out all you need to do is beat the other winger one on one to the corner for a try. Works well if attacking from about 40 out. Other than that, the kicking game is your best friend, and then winning lineouts against the head.

Georgia and Namibia are going to be torture.

ak47

Juniors
PS. I have to admit I do not like the sound of the hard tackle knocking the ball loose every time, is this really every time or just frequently, what is the point in doing any other tackle? Can the offensive team set up a maul or can it only be set up by the defense doing a normal tackle?

Cheers and Salu[/quote]

the big tackle isnt that bad of a thing...
yes it forces the ball loose every time
but on the flip side - if u miss, ur in no mans land playing catch-up footy
you have a great chance of getting the ball, but then again, u have a great chance of missing the tackle and the other team making atleast 20m break and furthur putting on points
once u get the hang of the big tackles u can get the CPU 80% of the time, but only in "normal" mode, not "intensive care"

and again in 2 player you and a mate might big tackle alot for turnovers.....but in the end if u learn how to counter the big tackle, u can use it to ur advantage and make some easy yards and turn them into points.

my mate (whom doesnt own WCR yet) uses the big tackle 100% of the time, cause he loves decking me and getting the ball back.
i use the big tackle ONLY when i am in a desperate situation where i need the ball badly, when hes on the attack in my redzone, the rest of the time i tackle normally and ruck.
he has never beaten me after say 30 matches
even when i am ireland and he is england he cant beat me.
due to his influx of attempted big hits, many dont come off cause of my brilliant attacking runs, and half the time u see his players big hitting no-body (mr air) and i am 10m passed him on a break, lining up my support for more metres

so dont say the big tackle ruins the game
u need to know when to use and when not to....its a good added variety and different outcomes, depending on the human, and how good the human is.
just another factor that is 100% completely human controlled that can change the result of the match....hey atleast its not random...u know it will force a drop ball, u know u can only do it (AI dosnt jump in for u and assist), and u know if u fail, u'll pay the price.
u know how to counter it to ur advantage.
also if u use it too much u hit someone without the ball and get penalised
in the end when both experienced players verse up, it wont be the big hit count that will determine the final result.
when u learn how to counter it, u see alot less big hits, cause the other player should learn its not working anymore...but my mate hasnt, hence he still loses.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I am patching this game even more so that when you play for 30minutes the score will stay respectable. Defence is high and attack attributes are lower so the game is more realistic and definately more fun.

Phillips

Referee
im playing beat the allstars, im up to Tonga and they sure suck, closest i came to winning was losing 3-0 :x

umosay

Juniors
Goleel said:
Yeah the good old rugby forum is down again, how long'd it last this time, one week?

mmm stupid host, 2 host in a row that has completly shut down... think were gonna get some help with hosting though

there is a WCR board starting on Gamefaqs too,think they are posting player names. in the ps2 section.

I like using the island teams, you can get some great 2 player matches with Fiji Vs Samoa.

-JJ-

Juniors
Dvdhunter, are you actually updating already or is that what you will do when you get the PC version?

lionmaul

Juniors
Can any one please tell me if the game is cd or dvd for the ps2? I can only play cd imports on my ps2 and I am trying to decide if I should get the ps2 version or the pc, although my pc is slow p3 500mhz 250mb, geforce 4 64, so if I can get the ps2 version I would. Is this game even worth importing??? I know I have asked this question before, but I have yet to get an answer. Thanks in advance

Cheers and Salu

inertia666

Juniors
lionmaul said:
Can any one please tell me if the game is cd or dvd for the ps2? I can only play cd imports on my ps2 and I am trying to decide if I should get the ps2 version or the pc, although my pc is slow p3 500mhz 250mb, geforce 4 64, so if I can get the ps2 version I would. Is this game even worth importing??? I know I have asked this question before, but I have yet to get an answer. Thanks in advance

Cheers and Salu

mate i've got the PC game on order and if it's worth updating then i shall endeavour to do it.

Won't be here for a few days because i live outside the UK and i ordered it online last thursday.

Goleel

Juniors
WCR failed the old multiplayer test this weekend, (RL did too with my mates until I patched the PC version, to be fair), but when tackling is just that damn hard to get down, not to mention the absolutely pathetic goalline defense and wingers who have a great tendency to come inside to take the centre, it just makes it too damn easy to score. Sure, we did have some fun games, but they were all high scorers, one personal favourite was when I didn't touch the ball for the entire first half and was down 21-0, then got the 2nd half kickoff, never lost the ball that half and won 29-21.

Its a fun game, but like NRL, it needs some serious work to be a viable multiplayer game. Theres no balance there. The big hit unbalances things, perhaps make it a 50% chance of losing the ball based on the size and skill of both players in the tackle, make standard tackling easier and fix the defensive AI so the wingers don't act like spastics, and the AI players don't just hold off tackling a player until they run over the tryline.