What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Get No Free Games because our Attack is Shot

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Ever since the Bennett days we have enjoyed very few “free games”. By this I mean games where we blow a side off the park by half-time and then everyone settles down to a good old game of touch football in the second half. These games are played at reduced intensity and the emotional energy expended is small. These games can also act as a pressure release from the grinding season. But with us every single game is a war to the death and a series of these games, especially when you constantly lose them, eventually breaks the mental resolve of the squad.

Our team is playing with a fair bit of pride. We have only been gapped by Easts and most other games we have tried to the end. Our trouble is that the opposition understands that we offer so little in attack that they simply have to get their defensive application right and we will offer no real attacking threat except in the air.

Interestingly it is our attack that is putting us under tremendous pressure and not our defence. Poor sides usually lose because of defensive fragilities first and foremost. Opposition teams understand that our No 7 and No 6 offer no real threat and it is for this reason that Coach Price must try something to provide a new level of unpredictability to the team. Further our two regular centres offer very little threat either. This all adds up to very little backline threat.

It is not good enough just trudging through the year waiting for 2014. Whilst we are searching for a new No 7 what happens if we are unable to find one? Perhaps Coach Price should consider that contingency and immediately consider who within the current squad could become the new No 7. And please do not throw at me that Coach Price is waiting for Kyle Stanley to turn up next year. Harold Holt is more likely to return from his swim then Kyle Stanley is of becoming a regular and consistent 1st grader little lone a player capable of holding a pivot No 7 role!

The kid Quinlan on Sunday showed some real flair; let’s give him a shot at No 7 Coach Price. Would he seriously be worse than our current No 7? We need a few players who go to the line and ask questions of the defence.

Finally Coach Price understand this; Matt Prior is a 110kg bench rotation forward. He could not run out of side on a dark night such is his pace. Why was he playing in the centres on Sunday when Junior Vai Vai was available to play?

These aren’t startling observations are they?

hewi

Bench
Good post. Our next two games are no certainty to win in which case the season is shot. Then, we will see what Price is made of. Will he use the rest of the year to blood the younger players. The reality is he shouldnt have been resigned after three wins because as we are now seeing nothing has changed.

possm

Coach
Very good post and I agree 100%.

Halfback
Fien is a good back up player but no longer a starting first grader. He has been good for the Dragons but his time has come. I would put Drinwater at 7 for the rest of the year.

Five-eigth
Soward has switched off and Price's game plans seem to expect him to run to the line or take on the line. He has resisted this even in the Bennett days and he is not about to change now. Give Quinlan the number 6 jumper for the remainder of the year.

Right Centre
Junior Vai Vai would have to be a chance at right centre. Chase Stanley has been given a fair go and really has not set the world on fire. Surely Junior Vai Vai could not do any worse.

Left Wing
Vidot is a real worry on the left wing. We saw this last year and we saw it again this week. If Cummins is fit or when he is fit, he should be first choice replacement for Morris. In my opinion, Vidot would make a good backrow forward - with a lot of work on defence reads.

Left Centre
For the rest of 2013, whenever Cooper is injured it should be Green who fills the left centre position; not Matt Prior. Prior is not quick enough to play centre and so, although he may be able to defend ok, the opposition just beat him with pace and he has very little to offer in attack as a centre.

Fullback
Dugan coming on board will make a difference however; my feeling is that we need to do more if the Dragons are going to have any chance of making the 8 this year.

In my opinion, the above changes are bold but they surely would create great interest and maybe even great results.

Last edited:

gypsy

Bench
Even in the Bennett days we had to grind out several games which should have been over by halftime.
Our attack was nothing special then, it hasn't been since Browny was coach.

BennyV

Referee
One or the other in the halves there possm...cant throw 2 rookies into the spine with a new player (Dugan) and a young hooker (King/Rein), its a recipe for disaster...either Soward or Fien needs to stay on. Not sure which

Minh

First Grade
Agree with this post. Even Bennett back in his St George days stated that "they" don't have it in them, referring to our attacking inability. I believe this is half true but if you look at Bennett even at the Knights his attacking structures are very simple and similar to our old attack.

Young Adam Quinlan must be wondering where he fits in.
I've read various posts, requesting Price to play him at fullback, wing, centre, 5/8 and halfback - even one suggesting he play hooker I think.
Maybe we could clone him, and he can be our entire backline?

Dragons_Head

Juniors

Halfback
Fien is a good back up player but no longer a starting first grader. He has been good for the Dragons but his time has come. I would put Drinwater at 7 for the rest of the year.

Five-eigth
Soward has switched off and Price's game plans seem to expect him to run to the line or take on the line. He has resisted this even in the Bennett days and he is not about to change now. Give Quinlan the number 6 jumper for the remainder of the year.

Right Centre
Junior Vai Vai would have to be a chance at right centre. Chase Stanley has been given a fair go and really has not set the world on fire. Surely Junior Vai Vai could not do any worse.

Left Wing
Vidot is a real worry on the left wing. We saw this last year and we saw it again this week. If Cummins is fit or when he is fit, he should be first choice replacement for Morris. In my opinion, Vidot would make a good backrow forward - with a lot of work on defence reads.

Left Centre
For the rest of 2013, whenever Cooper is injured it should be Green who rills the left centre position; not Matt Prior. Prior is not quick enough to play centre and so, although he may be able to defend ok, the opposition just beat him with pace and he has very little to offer in attack as a centre.

Fullback
Dugan coming on board will make a difference however; my feeling is that we need to do more if the Dragons are going to have any chance of making the 8 this year.

In my opinion, the above changes are bold but they surely would create great interest and maybe even great results.

correct me if im wrong but this is the backline you would like to see while coops and morris are out

dugan
cummins
green
vaivai
flo
quinlan
drinkwater

i understand giving the young blokes a crack but take out dugan and nightingale, there are less than 10 games experience between the 5 of them... throwing them into the big league with that lack of experience will do them no good

TruSaint

Referee
Valid point.
Whilst i like possms boldness, may do more harm than good for these kids.
They will need some guidance at the back, and time to adapt to the speed of the NRL.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Even in the Bennett days we had to grind out several games which should have been over by halftime.

That's how I remember it. Even when Bennett was coach we'd only run away with games towards the end of the game.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
As much as I would like to see us do some experimenting in the backs/halves, I would also like to see someone take charge on the field to direct and inspire the troops.

Wish I had a dollar for every time our structured play got us to the try line this year only for it all to fall away to nothing on the last. Listening to Fox last night they said that the 39% possession Manly had against us is the lowest a winning team has had since 1998!

giboz71

First Grade
It all comes down to personnel. Even in the Bennett years, it could be argued we had no gamebreakers who could break a game wide open. Gasnier and Boyd came closest, but they still played within a defined structure.

The brilliance of Bennett was that he understood his players limitations, devised a game plan that suited, and he was able to ooze every bit of ability from the players he had. Hence we ended up with a very structured, defensive, mistake free game plan, and this was good enough to win a premiership. Compare to the Broncos sides of the 90's when they had Langer, Walters, Renouf, Sailor and co. Completely different players, completely different styles. Did you ever see Alfie take the 2 points when it was on offer?

This is where Price gets shown up. He has not devised a game plan to suit the talent at his disposal. Of course, one could argue he has very little talent to work with, but that remains to be seen.

2014 will be interesting to watch.....

TheRev

Coach
Yes this issue has been there since 2009, its why we are so dependent on ref's calls and the bounce of the ball, 1-2 things go against us and we cant score enough points to come back...

The only way that can work is if your defence is a brick wall.

Note: On blooding kids, you can only do 1-2 at a time, they need older players around them.

TruSaint

Referee
Note: On blooding kids, you can only do 1-2 at a time, they need older players around them.

Spot on Rev

BennyV

Referee

Spot on Rev

Indeed...so he should pick 1-2 and focus on them. My bets would be Green and Quinlan, but Drinkwater should also be in the mix!

Mattc

Juniors
We need a 5/8 that think 'run' first when he gets the ball. That will straighten our attack up.
Watching Creagh and Frizzel, they are running good lines.
The problem is our halves go across field, slowly. This slows our back rowers down and pushes them sideways. This in turn makes the centres run into the wingers, and stifles any attack.

Louiethefly

Juniors

Halfback

Five-eigth

Right Centre

Left Wing

Left Centre
For the rest of 2013, whenever Cooper is injured it should be Green who rills the left centre position; not Matt Prior. Prior is not quick enough to play centre and so, although he may be able to defend ok, the opposition just beat him with pace and he has very little to offer in attack as a centre.

Fullback

Vai Vai is a left centre and Green is a right centre, so if you dead set want two rookie centres in a team at the same time they should at least be playing on their natural sides. Not sure on how much of a talker Drinkwater is but apparantly Quinlan isn't a talker at all, which is why he was moved from the halves in his juniors to fullback and then the wing, So if you put him next to a rookie halfback I think we would see even less organization than we do now. Cummins is injured until round 16 I think so he is no chance to take over a wing spot anyway.

FlameThrower

Bench
Agree with this post. Even Bennett back in his St George days stated that "they" don't have it in them, referring to our attacking inability. I believe this is half true but if you look at Bennett even at the Knights his attacking structures are very simple and similar to our old attack.
..agreed, but we had a rock solid defensive line. Best in the comp for 2009/2010 and start of 2011, before wheels came off after Bennett signs with Knights, rest is history, painfully history!

that must be mentally draining for the squad. I don't think the only problem is the cattle either. Price needs to coach the sideways out of these clowns and get them playing more through the middle.

As much as I would like to see us do some experimenting in the backs/halves, I would also like to see someone take charge on the field to direct and inspire the troops.

Wish I had a dollar for every time our structured play got us to the try line this year only for it all to fall away to nothing on the last. Listening to Fox last night they said that the 39% possession Manly had against us is the lowest a winning team has had since 1998!

yuk... this stat says it all really

Latest posts