What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"We have great juniors coming through" - I'm sick of the propoganda.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Is there a club in the whole NRL that isn't claming to have wonderful junior talent. Fans seem to swallow this sh*t hook line and sinker. I'm tired of hearing fans cry out "we need young blood, or give the young blokes ago", champing at the bit for their current players to move aside so their junior superstars can make a certain impact in first grade. Well heres the bad news. Chances are your juniors won't form a team of superstars. There are a couple of teams each year that are the best and will contend for the title (Gallop doesnt understand this). Therefore most teams current juniors will blossom into ok first graders, not rep players. This is especially true of young halves. How many times a year do we have to stomach fans talking up young halfbacks and five eights only to find they never quite make it. Theres only a few great halves in the comp, so if you have one thats half decent then you should be very skeptical about whether someone in the younger grades will be better.

Building for the future in rep football is one of the great myths. You pick qld/nsw teams to win now. Picking Mullen this year was a sh*tty move, typical of the dumb mindset in rugby league of the wonderful qualities of youth. Orford and Gower are better players than Mullen now I dont care what anyone says. But no you gotta give the young blokes a go and look to the future.

people who expect instant imortality from a youngster called into a 1st grade side are ignorant and putting to much pressure on the young blokes.

Munky

Coach
Depends on the junior really, Mick Jennings has shown more this year than any centre at Penrith since Ryan Girdler. He had some massive raps on him, hype well beyond most good players coming through.

Has a chance at playing origin next year.

petetheileet

First Grade
Mullen should never have been picked

some young blokes do have it...

unfortunately he isn't one of them

perverse

Referee
petetheileet said:
Mullen should never have been picked

some young blokes do have it...

unfortunately he isn't one of them
bookmarked. he will prove you very wrong. (although i do agree that he should not have been picked this year)

Dragonwest

Juniors
perverse said:
bookmarked. he will prove you very wrong. (although i do agree that he should not have been picked this year)

whats the point in bookmarking the thread? uve missed the point. he hasnt discreditted mullen's skills or future potential, only his short-term selection.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Kid Dynamite said:
Is there a club in the whole NRL that isn't claming to have wonderful junior talent. Fans seem to swallow this sh*t hook line and sinker. I'm tired of hearing fans cry out "we need young blood, or give the young blokes ago", champing at the bit for their current players to move aside so their junior superstars can make a certain impact in first grade. Well heres the bad news. Chances are your juniors won't form a team of superstars. There are a couple of teams each year that are the best and will contend for the title (Gallop doesnt understand this). Therefore most teams current juniors will blossom into ok first graders, not rep players. This is especially true of young halves. How many times a year do we have to stomach fans talking up young halfbacks and five eights only to find they never quite make it. Theres only a few great halves in the comp, so if you have one thats half decent then you should be very skeptical about whether someone in the younger grades will be better.

Building for the future in rep football is one of the great myths. You pick qld/nsw teams to win now. Picking Mullen this year was a sh*tty move, typical of the dumb mindset in rugby league of the wonderful qualities of youth. Orford and Gower are better players than Mullen now I dont care what anyone says. But no you gotta give the young blokes a go and look to the future.

Yes i agree, Melbourne have as many juniors as Penrith. Idiot.

perverse

Referee
Dragonwest said:
whats the point in bookmarking the thread? uve missed the point. he hasnt discreditted mullen's skills or future potential, only his short-term selection.
ok.. so if mullen at 21 next year were to play very well and get another call up for origin.. then he wouldn't be a young bloke with "it"?

"some young blokes have it... unfortunately he isn't one of them." - i disagree and strongly believe that he will prove his worth next year.

to say that mullen doesn't have it because he had an ordinary game in a team that played ordinary football in positions 1 -> 17 is stupid and totally ignorant of the rest of what happened in that game. he was a long way from the worst on the park that night and went missing when his forwards were well and truly beaten.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Kid Dynamite said:
Is there a club in the whole NRL that isn't claming to have wonderful junior talent.

No.

Fans seem to swallow this sh*t hook line and sinker.

They do indeed.

I'm tired of hearing fans cry out "we need young blood, or give the young blokes ago", champing at the bit for their current players to move aside so their junior superstars can make a certain impact in first grade.

Me too.

Parra fans are constantly banging on about drop so-and-so and bring up whatshisface who scored 3 tries in Premier Legaue last week. they do it after every loss, year after year after year...

So I was surprised when Mateo and Inu had the impact they had this year, given they're only 2 of about 50 Parramatta lower graders that have been tossed into the ring to replace injured first graders this year.

A couple of years ago we signed a Junior Kiwi superstar named Josh Davis and every idiot had him at centre in their pre-season 13 back in 2005.

He's currently on the wing for Jersey Flegg. lol

Well heres the bad news. Chances are your juniors won't form a team of superstars.

Sad but true.

Every year there's a winning Flegg team (somebody has to win) and that club's lucky if only one of them goes on to play Origin. They're even luckier if the ones who do become first graders all stay at the club.

But you get endless numpties going on about "we're not going to win this year but next year our 21 year old backline will win the comp and all play for Australia".

It's ridiculous.

There are a couple of teams each year that are the best and will contend for the title (Gallop doesnt understand this).

I think he does.

What he doesn't want is a situation where for 10 years only 3 or 4 teams are the only ones with any chance of winning a Premierhsip, while another 3 or 4 fight it out for the wooden spoon every single year.

Therefore most teams current juniors will blossom into ok first graders, not rep players.

I'd say most will never play more than a handful of first grade games in their entire careers.

A player can have glaring weaknesses and still be a star in the lower grades because of his strengths. It's much easier to hide his weaknesses in the lower grades but at the top level it's impossible to compensate for a bloke who can't catch or tackle but can run the ball like Matty Bowen.

I mean, have a look at any Premier League match - there are some brilliant ball-running backs there who will never make it as first graders.

This is especially true of young halves.

True.

Parra had a lower grade halfback a few years ago named Kieron Herring (I think that was his name). He played for the Junior Kangaroos and Australian Schoolboys for about 3 or 4 years - he was a dynamite runner and a great defender, at least at that level.

But he couldn't pop a short ball to save his life. Despite his impressive junior rep credentials he never made it as a first grader.

He's probably playing Jim Beam Cup now.

Look at Blake Green - Parra tragics rave about him but there's hardly a bidding war to secure his services when he comes off contract. He might become a good first grader and maybe even play Origin one day but I seriously doubt it - Tim Smith, Brett Finch, Riddell and Marsh have all proven they can consistently make an impact at NRL level and they've all got a few years left in them. Blake Green won't get the opportunity unless there's injuries or the salary cap forces one or more of the others out.

Which is likely these days but there's no point crying about it.

How many times a year do we have to stomach fans talking up young halfbacks and five eights only to find they never quite make it.

Several.

Theres only a few great halves in the comp, so if you have one thats half decent then you should be very skeptical about whether someone in the younger grades will be better.

Agreed.

Building for the future in rep football is one of the great myths.

Agree totally.

They should get their experience from losing games for their clubs, not losing Origin matches.

You pick qld/nsw teams to win now.

True.

Picking Mullen this year was a sh*tty move, typical of the dumb mindset in rugby league of the wonderful qualities of youth. Orford and Gower are better players than Mullen now I dont care what anyone says.

Even Finch and Kimmorley were better options.

But no you gotta give the young blokes a go and look to the future.

Stop whinging.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
No.

They do indeed.

Me too.

Parra fans are constantly banging on about drop so-and-so and bring up whatshisface who scored 3 tries in Premier Legaue last week. they do it after every loss, year after year after year...

So I was surprised when Mateo and Inu had the impact they had this year, given they're only 2 of about 50 Parramatta lower graders that have been tossed into the ring to replace injured first graders this year.

A couple of years ago we signed a Junior Kiwi superstar named Josh Davis and every idiot had him at centre in their pre-season 13 back in 2005.

He's currently on the wing for Jersey Flegg. lol

Sad but true.

Every year there's a winning Flegg team (somebody has to win) and that club's lucky if only one of them goes on to play Origin. They're even luckier if the ones who do become first graders all stay at the club.

But you get endless numpties going on about "we're not going to win this year but next year our 21 year old backline will win the comp and all play for Australia".

It's ridiculous.

I think he does.

What he doesn't want is a situation where for 10 years only 3 or 4 teams are the only ones with any chance of winning a Premierhsip, while another 3 or 4 fight it out for the wooden spoon every single year.

I'd say most will never play more than a handful of first grade games in their entire careers.

A player can have glaring weaknesses and still be a star in the lower grades because of his strengths. It's much easier to hide his weaknesses in the lower grades but at the top level it's impossible to compensate for a bloke who can't catch or tackle but can run the ball like Matty Bowen.

I mean, have a look at any Premier League match - there are some brilliant ball-running backs there who will never make it as first graders.

True.

Parra had a lower grade halfback a few years ago named Kieron Herring (I think that was his name). He played for the Junior Kangaroos and Australian Schoolboys for about 3 or 4 years - he was a dynamite runner and a great defender, at least at that level.

But he couldn't pop a short ball to save his life. Despite his impressive junior rep credentials he never made it as a first grader.

He's probably playing Jim Beam Cup now.

Look at Blake Green - Parra tragics rave about him but there's hardly a bidding war to secure his services when he comes off contract. He might become a good first grader and maybe even play Origin one day but I seriously doubt it - Tim Smith, Brett Finch, Riddell and Marsh have all proven they can consistently make an impact at NRL level and they've all got a few years left in them. Blake Green won't get the opportunity unless there's injuries or the salary cap forces one or more of the others out.

Which is likely these days but there's no point crying about it.

Several.

Agreed.

Agree totally.

They should get their experience from losing games for their clubs, not losing Origin matches.

True.

Even Finch and Kimmorley were better options.

Stop whinging.

Couldnt you have said what you wanted to say in a paragraph.

You'd expect Eels fans to push for young players to get in there considering they are reigining premiers to years in a row in premier league?

Your whining yourself.

bowen_1

Juniors
Hey KD. Why do you whinge about everything in the game? Honestly, if you hate NRL so much, why follow it?

Munky said:
Depends on the junior really, Mick Jennings has shown more this year than any centre at Penrith since Ryan Girdler. He had some massive raps on him, hype well beyond most good players coming through.

Has a chance at playing origin next year.

Isn't Jennings a kiwi?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Carney, Zillman and Picker have been the 3 raiders fans have hyped up, and all have made reasonable impact in their short careers thus far

Carney and Picker will play rep footy
Zillman might miss out on the strength of the QLD youngsters, but i expect him too will also play a fair amount of rep footy.

Some times great juniors, are what they are made out to be ;-)

Angry_eel

First Grade
teams do have great juniors coming through thats why fans go on about it. I know with parra we won prems gf 3 years in a row, to me that indicates we have good juniors.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I thought some Parra posters in the site were the worst observers i've ever seen, you have taken the cake, and i'm a Parra supporter lol

Angry_eel

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
I thought some Parra posters in the site were the worst observers i've ever seen, you have taken the cake, and i'm a Parra supporter lol
dude, i can pull out your threads about Tim Smith, Jarryd Hayne etc from 3-4 years ago. You said it yourself, these kids are destined to be first graders. are you saying they weren't great juniors?

Tim Smith - Half at Parra
Jarryd Hayne - Wing/Fullback at parra
Krisnan Inu - wing/Centre at Parra
Winger from roosters
Blake Green - Will be at Sharks
Zeb Taia - Knights
Paulo
Hauraki

all parra juniors/came through parra junior system.

Kids are starting earlier now, they slot in perfectly sometimes to replace seasoned vets.

But ye if you are ready to say they are bad juniors then im definately ready to take the cake. cake mmmm.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Angry_eel said:
dude, i can pull out your threads about Tim Smith, Jarryd Hayne etc from 3-4 years ago. You said it yourself, these kids are destined to be first graders. are you saying they weren't great juniors?

Tim Smith - Half at Parra
Jarryd Hayne - Wing/Fullback at parra
Krisnan Inu - wing/Centre at Parra
Winger from roosters
Blake Green - Will be at Sharks
Zeb Taia - Knights
Paulo
Hauraki

all parra juniors/came through parra junior system.

Kids are starting earlier now, they slot in perfectly sometimes to replace seasoned vets.

:lol: Dude i know i'm the best judge as well as good looking, my point is that and you'll know it some of the posters on our bored eg JayJay are tools;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
And my predictions include

Tim Smith
Feleit
Kristian

And my next predictions are Tony Williams, Tim Mannah and broardick Wright and me getting further pissed tonight and finding a tart to take home lol