What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We have more than one coach!!!!

Why is everyone so against brian smith...i realise he is the head coach and all but dont we also have a -

Defensive coach
halves coach
Forwards coach
Trainers etc, etc..

What roles do these guys have in the workings of a game plan and week to week training. WHy i brian the scape goat. we have plenty of other staff as above who could also be partly to blame. As i said i realise brian is the head coach but is getting rid of him really going to help. I think what happened yesterday was more about players than the coaching. Drop balls kicks when they were not needed last kick options..

Well my opinion only...

YOURS???

shiftysmith

Juniors
parra-all-the-way said:
Why is everyone so against brian smith...i realise he is the head coach and all but dont we also have a -

Defensive coach
halves coach
Forwards coach
Trainers etc, etc..

What roles do these guys have in the workings of a game plan and week to week training. WHy i brian the scape goat. we have plenty of other staff as above who could also be partly to blame. As i said i realise brian is the head coach but is getting rid of him really going to help. I think what happened yesterday was more about players than the coaching. Drop balls kicks when they were not needed last kick options..

Well my opinion only...

YOURS???
spot on i have said this all year to my mates,just look at the style of footy we have been playing,its not brian smith style footy,we are more attacking compared to his coaching style

Utey

Coach
Peter Sharp is the defensive coach, but I have to really wonder why we tried to maintain a defensive line and not attack the ball. We stood back and waited for Copwboys to come towards us. Thats whta killed us. The Wagon sprint out of the defensive line was not out of character. He has done that multiple times with varied results and isnt the smart way of pressuring a playmaker. What happened to that up and in defence which Gould labelled as the "defence which wins premierships".

WA Eel

Juniors
I think they reverted to the slide against the Cowboys because they were worried about the ability of Bowen and co to step straight through the staggered line created by up and in defense. While up and in is great for cutting down time for the outside players and for forcing the opponent to go over you, it does create a staggered defensive line which a good stepper can exploit. At least with the slide, when a player steps, all he´s doing is stepping into another defender. I guess that was the thinking behind the change anyway.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why is it that some people link a coach's role primarily to tactics?

I agree - yesterday's pathetic sub-schoolboys rubbish was mostly the players' fault.

However, the coach is also responsible for preparing the team - both physically and mentally - for the match.

Evidently, the team was underdone in both aspects yesterday.

And that must be questioned.

Eelectrica

Referee
TheEelsFanatic said:
yeah i rekon we need a 'finals coach'
I doubt Wayne Bennet will be doing anything in the finals next year, maybe we could bring him in if we make the Grand final.

The coach who is yet to win a grand final teamed up with the coach who is yet to lose one, what would happen? Would the world implode as the two opposite ends of the spectrum join?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Eelectrica said:
I doubt Wayne Bennet will be doing anything in the finals next year, maybe we could bring him in if we make the Grand final.

The coach who is yet to win a grand final teamed up with the coach who is yet to lose one, what would happen? Would the world implode as the two opposite ends of the spectrum join?

as long as parra win, i seriously dont care if the world imploxded, as long as i die with a memory of a premiership

Grantwhy

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
We need someone to fill the 'Say simple words of wisdom or something before big games' position.

It's something the Cowboys did.

Mark Gyer, Gordon Tallis were in the Cowboys room before tha game.

If you want 'simple words of wisdom', they are the ones you want :lol: (but they do seem to be effective)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Grantwhy said:

If you want 'simple words of wisdom', they are the ones you want :lol: (but they do seem to be effective)

True, true.

Eelectrica

Referee
Grantwhy said:

Don't get me wrong, it worked. I think our team should do something similar the next time we make it this far.

We've got to try something.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the buck should always stop at the head coach, he's the one signs of on every decision. Brian is big on tradition but he's not the type to bring in club legends for pep talks thus the reason why he may fallen out with certain people.

forward pass

Coach
Eelectrica said:

No way! Bennett is so past he is use by date it isn't funny. Your are joking right??

Eelectrica

Referee
<UPtheEELS> said:
Do we have motivational speakers? I know we had Greg Norman in 01'.

I don't look at so much as being a motivational speaker - the occasion itself is enough. But maybe someone who has been there done that might help calm the nerves a little.
Cowboys seem to have done well off the back of it.

Latest posts