What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I know I miss Johnny King and Eddie Lumsden too and in fact I miss Stan Gorton for that matter but time unfortunately catches up with all of them.
We will all miss Flo but far better to miss him rather than see him decline and have his opposites go past him often & easily.

I thought Nightingale's best games in 2017 were in the fullback role; a highlight being against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

He should be allowed to retire on his own term, and the side in general has more to be worried about that his alleged slowness.

slippery5

Juniors
NIGHTINGALE will and can retire whenever the f**k he wants and i vote YES to that. He is our Lockyer. A little more respect for the man, he is a current International, what more can the guy do?
I'm pretty sure there is NOTHING more he can do, other than give it away. But I congratulate you for standing by your son…..

ouryear

Juniors
I thought Nightingale's best games in 2017 were in the fullback role; a highlight being against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

He should be allowed to retire on his own term, and the side in general has more to be worried about that his alleged slowness.

Nighty is a legend, and an absolutely great guy without doubt.

However, a club that aspires to the top must have it's great players retire.... before they slow down and look very average.

If we overlook one player and let them play on just because they want to, it does create a culture of mediocrity... and if we do it for one, then what happens when there are 3 or 4 players at the same time who need to retire....but want to play on.

Nighty isn't our biggest problem, but the club should have sat down with him 12 months ago and planned 2017 as his last year.

It shows once again our club just goes through the motions, there is no planning or strategy.

A fast winger would help us win a few more games, we should have pulled the plug, god bless nightys socks.

Saintsified

Bench
I'm pretty sure there is NOTHING more he can do, other than give it away. But I congratulate you for standing by your son…..
He is far from being finished, he is far from being the worst winger in the NRL, he is young enough to keep going and he is still scoring.....pretty sure thats reason enough to remain.

Old Timer

Coach
He is far from being finished, he is far from being the worst winger in the NRL, he is young enough to keep going and he is still scoring.....pretty sure thats reason enough to remain.
OK where would you rate him in comparison to the other wingers in the comp?

giboz71

First Grade
1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Atiken
4. Lafai
5. Mann (but Mary won't drop Nighty)
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

14. Field

That's about the best we can come up with speedwise with our current roster.

As others have said, Aitken actually has good speed, just needs to develop a footy brain to set up others (he's much like Duges in this respect). Lafai is slow as f**k, but has footwork and a good offload. Problem is his lack of speed forces him to make risky plays (like the offload that cost us the Dogs game).

If we could somehow get Lomax in there towards the end of the year, that would help us.

True_Believer

Juniors
Nighty is 100x the winger Nene is

Stats would agree with you, but Nighty had an unfair advantage in that Widdop attacked down the left. Nene didn't get the opportunities that Nighty got. Having said that, Nene needs to pick up his game and enthusiasm.

Datramp

Juniors
Stats would agree with you, but Nighty had an unfair advantage in that Widdop attacked down the left. Nene didn't get the opportunities that Nighty got. Having said that, Nene needs to pick up his game and enthusiasm.

Even taking away the attacking stats from Widdop out of the equation.

Errors: Nighty 19, Nene 31
Kick Return Meteres: Nighty 789, Nene 422

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Nighty is a legend, and an absolutely great guy without doubt.

However, a club that aspires to the top must have it's great players retire.... before they slow down and look very average.

If we overlook one player and let them play on just because they want to, it does create a culture of mediocrity... and if we do it for one, then what happens when there are 3 or 4 players at the same time who need to retire....but want to play on.

Nighty isn't our biggest problem, but the club should have sat down with him 12 months ago and planned 2017 as his last year.

It shows once again our club just goes through the motions, there is no planning or strategy.

A fast winger would help us win a few more games, we should have pulled the plug, god bless nightys socks.

Nightingale may have slowed but he's far from "average".

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
NIGHTINGALE will and can retire whenever the f**k he wants and i vote YES to that. He is our Lockyer. A little more respect for the man, he is a current International, what more can the guy do?
So if Nightingale said he wants to play another 3 years you would be fine with that? Nightingale gets all the respect, not one person on this forum who wants him to retire, disrespects him he has been a great servant to the club, but it is/was time to retire and get a coaching gig at the club (you know he will eventually :) )

Saintsified

Bench
So if Nightingale said he wants to play another 3 years you would be fine with that? Nightingale gets all the respect, not one person on this forum who wants him to retire, disrespects him he has been a great servant to the club, but it is/was time to retire and get a coaching gig at the club (you know he will eventually :) )
No i didnt say that, he wont go another 3 years im sure of it, but he will know when he needs to retire, he is unselfish and he obviously still thinks he can play at the highest level, and i agree with him.