What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Need A Hooker Signing

TheRam

Coach
The more I think about it, the more I believe we need to bring a hooker to the club that can set the team in motion from dummy half.

We are lacking in two positions at the moment, them being half and hooker. We can't really do much about half now that we signed Mortimer on a new upgraded 2 year contract and rejected Hodkinson's overtures to return to Parra in the last off season.

But we can, I think afford to sign an up coming hooker that will deliver quality to our team if we are smart enough.

So my question is, does anyone know who the best hookers are in the lower grades or first grade, that we could try and sign for Parra?

How stupid does the decision by Parra management at the time look, when Michael Ennis's preferred club to sign with when he was leaving the Bronco's was Parramatta and we said no and his asking price wasn't over 200 thousand?

Oh and yes Stagger, I know of Anthony Mitchell, I just don't rate him like you do and by the look of it neither does coach Anderson.

murraymob

Coach
The more I think about it, the more I believe we need to bring a hooker to the club that can set the team in motion from dummy half.

We are lacking in two positions at the moment, them being half and hooker. We can't really do much about half now that we signed Mortimer on a new upgraded 2 year contract and rejected Hodkinson's overtures to return to Parra in the last off season.

But we can, I think afford to sign an up coming hooker that will deliver quality to our team if we are smart enough.

So my question is, does anyone know who the best hookers are in the lower grades or first grade, that we could try and sign for Parra?

How stupid does the decision by Parra management at the time look, when Michael Ennis's preferred club to sign with when he was leaving the Bronco's was Parramatta and we said no and his asking price wasn't over 200 thousand?

Oh and yes Stagger, I know of Anthony Mitchell, I just don't rate him like you do and by the look of it neither does coach Anderson.

you could have kept kingston for under 120k

Stagger eel

Staff member

well the simple answer to that question lies in who the hell is available? and unless you know of anyone out there then this thread is futile..as for Mitchell can you actually prove to me that DA doesn't rate him? the kid hasn't turned 21 yet and I know for a fact that he's highly regarded by our coaching staff and will get his opportunity in the future..

bazza

Immortal
Cameron Smith might have to leave Melbourne so that they fit under the salary cap - or we could get Cooper Cronk instead

SDM

First Grade
you could have kept kingston for under 120k

Actually, no. We Couldn't.

We did not have 120K of space free under the salary cap.

All avenues were exhausted before he had to be set free. People can keep bitching and moaning about Kingston, but our hands were tied.

spartan2153

Juniors
Anthony mitchel has the potential to be devastating from dummy half. I have seen that kid turns games with his play. A year playing agaisnt men will do him good.

I think we need a enforcer in our pack. Second row. I hope that can be horo. He runs like he has no restraint for his body. We are missing that muscle like a ian hindmarsh even a pj marsh off the bench. In defence they were brutall He looks like he can hit as well. I think halfback is the spot to chase. If we got a cronk i would glasly sacrifice mortimer. He is gonna end up at the bulldogs anyway. Plus i think his name added a extra 50k to his paypacket and the fact he is a media darling ww will always be paying overs for him like his reprted contract now.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
well the simple answer to that question lies in who the hell is available? and unless you know of anyone out there then this thread is futile..as for Mitchell can you actually prove to me that DA doesn't rate him? the kid hasn't turned 21 yet and I know for a fact that he's highly regarded by our coaching staff and will get his opportunity in the future..

Well you maybe right on Mitchell Stags, but almost every time that I have seen Mitchell play about 10-11 times now, maybe more, he has had a reasonably quiet game. He may yet prove to be a quality rake, but I think due to his size as well, he will find it very difficult and will struggle.

I know that our coaching staff rate him, but they also rate many flops as well, which is normal and as we all know, not all our talented juniors make it in the NRL. This is just my opinion and I hope that I am way, way wrong with it.

I don't think that asking for peoples opinions about quality players at other clubs is futile. Maybe, just maybe your annoyance is.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Anthony mitchel has the potential to be devastating from dummy half. I have seen that kid turns games with his play. A year playing agaisnt men will do him good.

I think we need a enforcer in our pack. Second row. I hope that can be horo. He runs like he has no restraint for his body. We are missing that muscle like a ian hindmarsh even a pj marsh off the bench. In defence they were brutall He looks like he can hit as well. I think halfback is the spot to chase. If we got a cronk i would glasly sacrifice mortimer. He is gonna end up at the bulldogs anyway. Plus i think his name added a extra 50k to his paypacket and the fact he is a media darling ww will always be paying overs for him like his reprted contract now.

I agree, I would settle for someone like Nigal Plum who's apparently off contract.

spartan2153

Juniors
I also forgot to add. My priority right now would be to tie up mannah long term. This kid is gonna be special. He is another glen lazarus. For a second year prop to be making a impact they way he does is phenomenal. The guy has the attitude that its not his right to play this game itss a honor & a privilige

Delboy

First Grade
Mannah/Horo should be signed, and I am with Staggs on Mitchell, people talk about his size but apart from Cam Smith he is about the same as everyone else that plays there.

He was the go to man in NYC, and watching Wenty on tv, most of their spark seems to come from him. Having said that, I think Humble will play this week if KK is out, just from what I hear from those I know at the club

Suitman

Post Whore
Mannah/Horo should be signed, and I am with Staggs on Mitchell, people talk about his size but apart from Cam Smith he is about the same as everyone else that plays there.

He was the go to man in NYC, and watching Wenty on tv, most of their spark seems to come from him. Having said that, I think Humble will play this week if KK is out, just from what I hear from those I know at the club

wow! Excellent.

I'm dying to see if he'll cut it in the top grade.

Suity

I'm happy to wait and see the potential of Mitchell, He's very crafty and has very good kicking game from dummy half. something we desp lack atm.

Sika Manu would be a strategic 2nd row buy followed by another front rower such as yong Johnny Mannah from the Sharks. Ricky Stuart won't be there for too much longer so John should not feel he has to stay with them.

Would love the T Hodkinson to come back but he'll stay with Manly judging by his comments in the paper this morning.

Freak2

Juniors
I think Robbo and Keating are OK at 9. If anything I would be chasing Kingston back to the club.

We are in desperate need for a back rower or 2 IMO.

Totally agree we should be extending Mannah sooner rather than later.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well you maybe right on Mitchell Stags, but almost every time that I have seen Mitchell play about 10-11 times now, maybe more, he has had a reasonably quiet game. He may yet prove to be a quality rake, but I think due to his size as well, he will find it very difficult and will struggle.

I know that our coaching staff rate him, but they also rate many flops as well, which is normal and as we all know, not all our talented juniors make it in the NRL. This is just my opinion and I hope that I am way, way wrong with it.

I don't think that asking for peoples opinions about quality players at other clubs is futile. Maybe, just maybe your annoyance is.

well mate, in your initial post you specifically targeted myself which is why I felt obliged to reply, but lets put what the coaching staff think aside for just one moment and you'll see with the comments above that I'm not Robinson Crusoe..

we can talk about it all we want but the word futile was in relation to where we're actually at with the hooker role, maybe we should toch base in 12 months time when both Robo and Keats come off contract and Mitchell has a run or 2 in fg...I'm sure we'll all be qualified to make a genuine call then.

eel01s

Bench
I'm sure I read somewhere that Kingston has resigned with Penrith for another 2 years.

TheRam

Coach
Fair enough Staggs, but the reason I mentioned you is because you always speak highly of Mitchell, which is fine and your right of course, but I just wanted to point out that I am aware of him, but was interested to know who else is rated highly at other clubs.

Yes we could wait till we see if he can aim up in first grade, sure, but that probably means that we waste another year of not having someone in that position who can guide us. The other two we have here at the moment do not measure up enough in my opinion, and with a half that cannot organize our players, it is a worrying and major concern me thinks.

Add to that we will be losing three of our better offloaders at the end of this season and if we do not plan ahead with any real contingency options, this will become a glaring issue and should be addressed in this seasons signings.

Latest posts