What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We should call ourselves "The Mighty St George Illawarra Nomads"

Da Doctor

Juniors
This "Right Game, Right Venue" is an absolute joke!

We are playing the Bulldogs at their home ground!!

It is a completely farcical situation we are in to be at the mercy of the NRL and our board branding their unrivalled incompetence as "RG, RV"!

We MUST become privatised!
We MUST remove many of the current board!
We MUST become a business where it is jobs for the best, not the boys!

OR

Our BEST players will leave.
Our BRAND will lose its prestige.
Our CLUB will be no more.

I know we can not win all the time, and I know our players are trying their best. But our off field management is slowly killing us. Another prime example is the Keary signing...

Whether you are for it or not, we are only in the race because we seem to be his last NRL option, and the process takes to long with the board seeming having to have the final say.

It is the same with Benji, he would be gone if another club wanted him, but we still fumble around.

Yes, we have signed some good players, but none of them are high profile players. Many of those use us as a bargaining chip to up their price, never intending to join us.

Anyway, I am getting off topic with my rant. I am just angry with it all.

GO THE MIGHTY ST GEORGE AND WIN AGAINST ALL ODDS AT OUR MANY NEW HOME GROUNDS!!!

Saintsified

Bench
Well I disagree, I think we should move to a larger stadium, more fans live outside of Kogarah than in it these days, all this crap about fans having to travel etc, please, how many actually live in Kogarah? We have to travel wherever we go we are not Cronulla fans inbred into one district we are Australiawide and I grew up in Cabramatta for eg and we had more Dragons and Manly fans out there than Dogs , Panthers, Wests, eels . It doesn't matter anymore, go with what is easier to get to for all fans..

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Well I disagree, I think we should move to a larger stadium, more fans live outside of Kogarah than in it these days, all this crap about fans having to travel etc, please, how many actually live in Kogarah? We have to travel wherever we go we are not Cronulla fans inbred into one district we are Australiawide and I grew up in Cabramatta for eg and we had more Dragons and Manly fans out there than Dogs , Panthers, Wests, eels . It doesn't matter anymore, go with what is easier to get to for all fans..

I write that here or JA...and I actually make sure my windows and doors are locked.
I also request extra guards on the perimeter fence.

_snafu_

Immortal
Where are the St George fans that supposedly attend ANZ? It will be at least 2 to 1 Bulldogs supporters.

BennyV

Referee
I'd prefer we play all our games out of Wollongong than these ridiculous 'home games' at other teams' home grounds.

Old Timer

Coach

Nothing like playing in a 60,000 plus stadium with<15,000 people there to cheer you on such atmosphere.

It might not matter to you where we play because you want to make a token effort to get to the ground which is easiest for you.

If we stop playing at Kogarah then you need get a new jersey, ditch the Big Red V and change our name.

Saintsified

Bench
Nothing like playing in a 60,000 plus stadium with<15,000 people there to cheer you on such atmosphere.

It might not matter to you where we play because you want to make a token effort to get to the ground which is easiest for you.

If we stop playing at Kogarah then you need get a new jersey, ditch the Big Red V and change our name.

15000 would turn to 30000 eventually , you're living in a cave mate.

Put a gold fish in a small pond it stays small put it In a bigger pond and it grows bigger, besides I now live on the Gold Coast and spent most of my time in China, I'm still a Saints fan and sorry mate but Kogarah is shit. You sound like one of those people that will never move out of a family home for centuries. If we are to pick one home as much as I hate it id say Wollongong, but ANZ is more central for all Saimts fans, sounds like you're the one who couldn't be bothered to travel, trust me I always did and still do to attend matches.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
You have no idea of how tribal the game of football is.

If you want to have strong juniors feeing into your club you have to have a local presence and that is evidenced by the clubs that don't have local suburban grounds being totally reliant on everyone else's juniors.

St George managed to lure a huge following outside of Sydney due to its unbridled success of the 11 year run.

It didn't attract a huge following outside of its own boundaries within in the Sydney basin and in fact was and still is despised.

The days of 30,000 crowds were when the "match of the Day" was Saturday 3pm at the SCG long before the big TV coverages available today.

St George have played plenty of games in recent years at the so called big venues in Sydney and the crowds are quite small and would on most occasions fit comfortably into Kogarah or Wollongong.

You might think Kogarah is shit, go and ask the players what they think and I am sure you would find they would want to play there at every possible opportunity.

Emu01

Juniors
Yes let's get back to Kogarah and Wollongong only..Its an absolute disgrace that we play home games against the Dogs,Roosters,Souths and Tigers at their home grounds!!

Talk about crazy! No other team in the NRL would sell off home games against the biggest rivals, that would pull a very decent crowd at our spiritual homes for money.. We get the same crowds or less at these bigger venues, so we would be better off playing these games at Kogarah or Wollongong.. Doust sold the fans out again.. The fans deserve better.. Oust Doust!

St Georgio

Juniors
Agree 100%. Beautiful ground holds 23 thousand lots of bars and eaterys at that end of town...
Its a no brainer....

I am KO boy through and through, but I would rather see them play most of there games from the gong @ least they can build a fortress down there unlike the white elephant @ homebush!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Saintsified said:
15000 would turn to 30000 eventually
This has been the sell job for some years now. How many more years do we have to wait to see these much promised returns... and how much damage is being done in the meantime?

The diminishing returns are highlighted by the number of free tickets that are still available for these games at neutral venues.

The only reason for the febbies I can see is that an empty stadium looks bad on TV and actually undermines the product and the future selling capacity. So the 'solution', it seems, is to keep propping up the neutral venues.

The sales pitch to have more games at Homebush, the SFS and SCG was gaining momentum well before the Right Game, Right Venue 'strategy' was announced in late 2013.

But crowd figures have actually been dropping. That's despite the generous promotion that these neutral venues have received ahead of suburban venues.

AAP Report (Feb 2016): Figures in the NRL's 2015 annual report released this week revealed average attendance last season slid to 15,078 - down five per cent from 15,906 the previous year.
Link

15,000 people would look great on TV if played at Kogarah or Wollongong, but it looks terrible at Homebush.

From the same link above: Since 2012, average attendances have steadily dropped from 16,415 and the NRL says that's expected to dive yet again in 2016...

Since 2012... that's about the time the whole taking games away from suburban venues started kicking into gear. Before that, in 2009-2011, there was a media push to ditch Kogarah. Only difference was that the media said our home ground was too small because some imaginery fans (never forget the Masons) were being locked out.

I still find it extraordinary that we were getting shafted for having too many full houses.

Now look where we are...

Kogarah is shit.
If only all arguments were so eloquently put.
Saintsified said:
You sound like one of those people that will never move out of a family home for centuries.
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, or what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Old Timer should just shut up and not disagree with you?

The selling off of our home games has less to do with expansion of the game and lot more to do with making a quid for the interested parties. The fans come last.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
You have no idea of how tribal the game of football is.

If you want to have strong juniors feeing into your club you have to have a local presence and that is evidenced by the clubs that don't have local suburban grounds being totally reliant on everyone else's juniors.

St George managed to lure a huge following outside of Sydney due to its unbridled success of the 11 year run.

It didn't attract a huge following outside of its own boundaries within in the Sydney basin and in fact was and still is despised.

The days of 30,000 crowds were when the "match of the Day" was Saturday 3pm at the SCG long before the big TV coverages available today.

St George have played plenty of games in recent years at the so called big venues in Sydney and the crowds are quite small and would on most occasions fit comfortably into Kogarah or Wollongong.

You might think Kogarah is shit, go and ask the players what they think and I am sure you would find they would want to play there at every possible opportunity.

Tribal? Please we sold out when we merged there is nothing more Tribal within the distance from Kogarah to Gong anymore than there is Kogarah to ANZ.

Sorry but you're a examples are not very good mate, people 200 years ago also built terrace homes like in England before they realised Australia has more space and built larger homes on larger blocks of land too. If we stayed within the cocoon of keeping things all English we wouldn't be Aussies and be living the Aussie way today....where do examples draw the line? Times change mate, we also drink different beers today than we did 20 years ago. League has changed on and off the field and ha going onto ancient stadiums because you think it's cool is not expanding the sport. Afl proved that Long ago.

Note: the St George District was also Anglo Saxon way more than it is today....it's changed and Dragons have changed and they will continue to change , I just hope they change for the better......split the matches Gong /ANZ .

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
This has been the sell job for some years now. How many more years do we have to wait to see these much promised returns... and how much damage is being done in the meantime?

The diminishing returns are highlighted by the number of free tickets that are still available for these games at neutral venues.

The only reason for the febbies I can see is that an empty stadium looks bad on TV and actually undermines the product and the future selling capacity. So the 'solution', it seems, is to keep propping up the neutral venues.

The sales pitch to have more games at Homebush, the SFS and SCG was gaining momentum well before the Right Game, Right Venue 'strategy' was announced in late 2013.

But crowd figures have actually been dropping. That's despite the generous promotion that these neutral venues have received ahead of suburban venues.

AAP Report (Feb 2016): Figures in the NRL's 2015 annual report released this week revealed average attendance last season slid to 15,078 - down five per cent from 15,906 the previous year.
Link

15,000 people would look great on TV if played at Kogarah or Wollongong, but it looks terrible at Homebush.

From the same link above: Since 2012, average attendances have steadily dropped from 16,415 and the NRL says that's expected to dive yet again in 2016...

Since 2012... that's about the time the whole taking games away from suburban venues started kicking into gear. Before that, in 2009-2011, there was a media push to ditch Kogarah. Only difference was that the media said our home ground was too small because some imaginery fans (never forget the Masons) were being locked out.

I still find it extraordinary that we were getting shafted for having too many full houses.

Now look where we are...

If only all arguments were so eloquently put. I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, or what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Old Timer should just shut up and not disagree with you?

The selling off of our home games has less to do with expansion of the game and lot more to do with making a quid for the interested parties. The fans come last.

Originally Posted by Saintsified
You sound like one of those people that will never move out of a family home for centuries.

Your ancestral home passed down throughout the generations and no one ever sells that family home....till one day someone wakes up and sells it for profit and buys bigger and better properties, you'd make a good horder me thinks.

Mate the Dragons never gave a move to ANZ a good go yet, Dogs, Souths for example proved after sticking to it that their membership and crowds go up.

We move two steps forward only to go three steps back.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Tribal? Please we sold out when we merged there is nothing more Tribal within the distance from Kogarah to Gong anymore than there is Kogarah to ANZ.

Sorry but you're a examples are not very good mate, people 200 years ago also built terrace homes like in England before they realised Australia has more space and built larger homes on larger blocks of land too. If we stayed within the cocoon of keeping things all English we wouldn't be Aussies and be living the Aussie way today....where do examples draw the line? Times change mate, we also drink different beers today than we did 20 years ago. League has changed on and off the field and ha going onto ancient stadiums because you think it's cool is not expanding the sport. Afl proved that Long ago.

Note: the St George District was also Anglo Saxon way more than it is today....it's changed and Dragons have changed and they will continue to change , I just hope they change for the better......split the matches Gong /ANZ .

As I said you have no idea.

If it's not tribal then why have the suburban region as part of the club name.

Many Sea Eagles, Canberra Raiders, Newcastle Knights Brisbane Bronco's or don't you understand that.

If you want to play at the football stadium then fine but don't call the club St George called it something else.

You keep thinking the game is going to expand so you need bigger stadiums for club games which is just farcical.

Every expansion attempt by the NRL has not seen any substantive increase in numbers at club games and the fact that we play Test matches against England in non capital cities just shows how far the game has slipped in audience attendance.

Only rep games and finals football should be played outside of local grounds.

If were able to get AFL crowd numbers then there would be some argument against local grounds but that is clearly not the case and will never be the case for any Sydney teams.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Watching the Homebush match against Canterbury right now. Half time.

Is this supposed to be a home game? I just saw commentators standing in front of an entrance gate, it's covered in Bulldogs design and colours. This is not a home game.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
As I said you have no idea.

If it's not tribal then why have the suburban region as part of the club name.

Many Sea Eagles, Canberra Raiders, Newcastle Knights Brisbane Bronco's or don't you understand that.

If you want to play at the football stadium then fine but don't call the club St George called it something else.

You keep thinking the game is going to expand so you need bigger stadiums for club games which is just farcical.

Every expansion attempt by the NRL has not seen any substantive increase in numbers at club games and the fact that we play Test matches against England in non capital cities just shows how far the game has slipped in audience attendance.

Only rep games and finals football should be played outside of local grounds.

If were able to get AFL crowd numbers then there would be some argument against local grounds but that is clearly not the case and will never be the case for any Sydney teams.

actually you have no idea, NFL clubs lead the way and many have moved to other ends of town even other cities and states.

People like you actually hold our club back and the game, i feel like a republican talking to monarchist.

Each to their own there is no right or wrong opinion here, its all subjective.