What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We were lucky - lets not kid ourselves

Fathead

Bench
Without trying to ruin the party and I dont want to sound too negitive but we have to have some balance in the analysis.
That first half was just terrible. The first try to the doggies was one of the most feeble embarassing pieces of football parra has ever produced.

It was great to win but the bulldogs today are not the bulldogs of old.
If we were playing a quality team they would have beaten us by 50.
If Hindmarsh wasnt there we would have lost.
We had some luck with the ref and a couple of forward passes were let go.

Ok, its the first round and Parra are usually slow starters but there was a lot to dislike in our performance yesterday.

We looked unfit (how many times throughout the year do we say that !) and just disorgansied.

Im happy we won and congrats to the boys but lets not get too carried away with the win. We are still a long way off any chance of being good enough to make a real impression on this comp. We have the talent but we really need some discipline because talent alone will not be good enough.

Thats the difference between us and the Storm. Talent wise - we might even have the better side but they are all over us in the terms of discipline.

Hellsy

Immortal
Also agree... and I want them to go FORWARD!!!!!!!
I dont want them to rely on our backs to make line breaks and do the running..... Make the metres up the middle to but your team in good field position

Nikki

Coach
I totally agree too. But I think this Parra team is not like the teams of old. In the past having played like that at half time we woulda just packed up and gone home. Im glad that we came out and dug in got the rewards.

Glenn

First Grade
Fathead said:
Without trying to ruin the party and I dont want to sound too negitive but we have to have some balance in the analysis.
That first half was just terrible. The first try to the doggies was one of the most feeble embarassing pieces of football parra has ever produced.

It was great to win but the bulldogs today are not the bulldogs of old.
If we were playing a quality team they would have beaten us by 50.
If Hindmarsh wasnt there we would have lost.
We had some luck with the ref and a couple of forward passes were let go.

Ok, its the first round and Parra are usually slow starters but there was a lot to dislike in our performance yesterday.

We looked unfit (how many times throughout the year do we say that !) and just disorgansied.

Im happy we won and congrats to the boys but lets not get too carried away with the win. We are still a long way off any chance of being good enough to make a real impression on this comp. We have the talent but we really need some discipline because talent alone will not be good enough.

Thats the difference between us and the Storm. Talent wise - we might even have the better side but they are all over us in the terms of discipline.

The If's are hypothetical, it is like saying If Parramatta played for 80 minutes they would have won by 40.
The first round of the season and a win, can't ask for better than that.
Personally would rather have the room for improvment at this time of the season, rather than come the final month of the season.

mickdo

Coach
And 'if' Paul Carige wasn't our fullback we would have been in the GF back then... but he was. We cop the bad ifs when they come, so enjoy the good ifs when they come too.

strider

Post Whore
maybe the dogs were "lucky" in the first half ... lucky we dropped the f'n ball all the time! :crazy:

we showed alot of composure to believe we could come back from playing so sh*t - thats the thing to take out of it

mickdo

Coach
strider said:
we showed alot of composure to believe we could come back from playing so sh*t - thats the thing to take out of it
Agreed. Haven't seen that from the Eels for a long, long time.

HevyDevy

Coach
mickdo said:
And 'if' Paul Carige wasn't our fullback we would have been in the GF back then... but he was. We cop the bad ifs when they come, so enjoy the good ifs when they come too.

No we wouldn't have - his errors started coming when the Dogs were already level.

If you remember, first try forward pass, second try freak pass, third try numbers out to the left.

From there Carige started to lose the plot but the game was already over at 18-all.

Nikki

Coach
Damn the Daily Telegraph :fist: Havent heard this much Paul Carige talk in years :crazy:

paulb88

Juniors
Yes, we were lucky. Lucky not to be down by more than 20 at the break.

But to score 28 unanswered points has nothing to do with luck. You can maybe fluke one or two tries, but to hold the Dogs scoreless in the second half and get the win after such a bad first half was skill and determination.

Yesterday the Eels showed us just how bad they can play. And then they showed us how amazing they can be. Lets just hope that we see more of the latter for the rest of the season.

Parra

Referee
It was the best start to a season you could hope for.

Now, no matter how dire things look - we know we can turn it around.

fish eel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
we came from 20-0 down at ht to win...fmd you people are hard to please.

tbh, I was willing the dogs to score more in the first half so we could be really tested.

strider

Post Whore
mmm - i think the dogs had the 0.00005km/h wind at their back - was never gonna be enough of a lead

V1er

Juniors
Dont sell the dogs short, they were fantastic in the first half, outplaying us in every aspect, they came to play. The eels stuck to it and were able to get a win, if this happened a few years ago we would have been laped.

Suitman

Post Whore
Belly in Brisvegas said:
we came from 20-0 down at ht to win...fmd you people are hard to please.

TBH Belly, I think Fathead is just trying to put things into perspective, and not jump on the excitement wagon. He makes some very valid points.
The most valid is that we would have lost without Hindmarsh. He wasn't our best player, but god damn it he saved some points.

Suity

Parra

Referee
Hindmarsh saved three tries single handed.

At one stage I was hoping he would turn to the rest of the players and ask "Why the f**k do I bother?"

Maybe he did this at half time.

Whatever happened at half-time, I hope they taped it.

Eelectrica

Referee
A lot of teams didn't play as well as they would have liked in the 1st round.
We showed what can be done when our guys knuckle down and control the ball and don't go nuts trying to score off every play like they did in the 1st half.

To bounce back like we did in the space of a half is a good sign I think. Hopefully it's not something we have to do to often though.