What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We win our third wooden spoon in four years

Swiftstylez

Bench
2qautte.jpg

Are these pictures more optimistic?

jIEFRll.png

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
There wasn't a great deal to turn around at either club. The Dragons are packed with rep players and the Raiders had plenty of quality youngsters.

Dragons forwards were a rabble , only Merrin was earning his pay packet. Mason laughed at their pack on the field last year. Same sort of pack this year, but most are playing out of their skin

No one wanted to go to the raiders, they lost their best player in Milford, we all laughed at Ricky. Most thought they would struggle this year. But he got rid of some expensive over rated wood (like he did with us) and now benefiting.

Having said all that we were a top 4 side after 10 rounds last year

Things can change in an instant

Swiftstylez

Bench
I wonder if someone will come out to his theme song on the footy show arm wrestling. Cayless would be fitting.

Eelogical

Referee
If we do indeed end up with the spoon I can see incredible pressure on Arthur and those around him. I doubt we can get anywhere near the eight but the spoon is not an option as far as I am concerned.

Chipmunk

Coach
If we do indeed end up with the spoon I can see incredible pressure on Arthur and those around him. I doubt we can get anywhere near the eight but the spoon is not an option as far as I am concerned.

From what I've seen of us and the other 15 teams in the competition over the first 9 rounds I'd have to have us in the bottom 4 at this stage, which was slightly below were I thought we'd end up.

At the end of the day there isn't alot of difference running 9th to 15th...they're all losers.

16th is just the icing on the cake of the losers...

Eelogical

Referee
From what I've seen of us and the other 15 teams in the competition over the first 9 rounds I'd have to have us in the bottom 4 at this stage, which was slightly below were I thought we'd end up.

At the end of the day there isn't alot of difference running 9th to 15th...they're all losers.

Yeah, but we have tasted that cake enough in recent times. Anything short of last years effort would be called a failure in my book, and we are in serious contention of tasting it again this year.

T.S Quint

Coach

I hear this from people a lot.
It's garbage.
Would you rather win 10 games in a season or 6?
Those few extra wins give me a few extra weeks of being happy. I don't want to be miserable for the entire year.
Last year was not too bad. The years before were excruciating!

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah, but we have tasted that cake enough in recent times. Anything short of last years effort would be called a failure in my book, and we are in serious contention of tasting it again this year.

I think we will struggle to come anywhere close to what we achieved wins wise last year. I personally thought we over achieved on the competition ladder last year, purely on the back of Plane brilliance in half a dozen games.

We're in a bit of an 'evolving' phase at the moment. I'm expecting better things in 2016, but I'm not sure I share Steve Sharps optimism of a premiership!

Chipmunk

Coach
I hear this from people a lot.
It's garbage.
Would you rather win 10 games in a season or 6?
Those few extra wins give me a few extra weeks of being happy. I don't want to be miserable for the entire year.
Last year was not too bad. The years before were excruciating!

More wins do make you happier I guess. Last year realistically if it wasn't for pure Plane magic in probably close to half a dozen games, we never would have won those games, and this is where we find ourselves this season with no Plane magic to fall back on.

I'm interested to see what we do next week, because I'm prepared to write off the season completely if the Warriors beat us next week.

T.S Quint

Coach
There is merit to what you are saying but it's just false hope. We may win a game or two this year but they are going to be meaningless in the end, the team can't win two in a row for the life of them and I don't like to bring it up but our record without Hayne is horrid. We can't just ignore that because it's a new season and a new day. We didn't even make the finals with him in arguably his best shape of his career. I've genuinely lost hope and honestly that is rare for me, I can say for as long as I've been a fan I have been angry after loss but after a few days hoped that we could turn it around and make the finals. I don't have that foolish belief this year, the last six years have shown me what to expect with our current players attitudes that are as fragile as ever.

It takes me 4 hours to go to a game and back, I remember the long drives after seeing flogging after flogging contemplating the teams performance on any given occasion the last six years and we are looking as bad if not worse than the years we won the spoon. Don't blame Arthur though, when Hayne left it f**ked this whole year over regardless of what you thought about it

False hope it may be, but at least it's hope.
How is a win meaningless? I enjoy winning. It makes me feel happy.
If I'm reading your comment right, what you are saying is that if we aren't going to make the Finals then there's no point winning any games at all. I'm sure that's not what you really meant, but it comes across that way.

I'm sick of losing. I hate it.
I hate looking forward to the next week's game and dreading that we are coming up against a better team than us every week.
I hate not looking forward to going out to the games. I hate that I never feel positive about how we are going to play.

But when we win a game that all goes away for a few days at least. The more times per year that I can have that, the happier I will be.

False hope it may be, but at least it's hope.
How is a win meaningless? I enjoy winning. It makes me feel happy.
If I'm reading your comment right, what you are saying is that if we aren't going to make the Finals then there's no point winning any games at all. I'm sure that's not what you really meant, but it comes across that way.

I'm sick of losing. I hate it.
I hate looking forward to the next week's game and dreading that we are coming up against a better team than us every week.
I hate not looking forward to going out to the games. I hate that I never feel positive about how we are going to play.

But when we win a game that all goes away for a few days at least. The more times per year that I can have that, the happier I will be.

Well said, mate. I agree completely.

If I had knowledge that someone was on their way to Parra right this minute to burn down the stadium, tear up all the player's contracts, and fire all the staff, and all I had to do was press a button to stop them....well, I'd have some thinking to do.

Eelogical

Referee
If I had knowledge that someone was on their way to Parra right this minute to burn down the stadium, tear up all the player's contracts, and fire all the staff, and all I had to do was press a button to stop them....well, I'd have some thinking to do.

The stadium burning is old hat.....I was there. As far as the rest is concerned I would press the button. As irate as I am, I will always follow the Eels. You can be assured of one thing. The next Eels premiership may see a lot more burned than a stadium.