What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webb, Lima Ruled Out

Dragons1990

Juniors
Webb, Lima ruled out of World Cup

Thursday, 09 October 2008

The Kiwis have been forced into two changes to their rugby league World Cup squad after fullback Brent Webb and prop Jeff Lima were ruled out by injury.

The have been replaced by St George Illawarra winger-fullback Jason Nightingale and Warriors front rower Evarn Tuimavave respectively.
Leeds fullback Webb, who has played 17 caps, had been hopeful of recovering from a back injury that kept him out of the English Super League grand final win over St Helens last weekend.
However, Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington advised New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) that Webb had surgery overnight.
Hetherington said Webb had a spinal injury that was likely to rule him out for six months.
Lima, who played three tests last year, has a knee injury which is worse than first thought.
"We've been in touch with both Brent and Jeff and they're obviously devastated," Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney said today.
"Webb's situation wasn't looking too good but we all remained hopeful awaiting a final decision.
"Jeff has been troubled by a knee problem but got through the NRL finals and we thought he would be right. However, he had exploratory surgery which has shown the injury is worse than expected."
However, Kearney said Nightingale and Tuimavave were "quality replacements".
"Jason and Evarn were very unlucky to miss out in the first place.
"They've had very good seasons in the NRL, both of them playing in the finals and Evarn being part of a Warriors team that finished the year outstandingly."
Kearney felt he still had plenty of options at fullback.
"Lance (Hohaia) was great there for the Warriors this year, Sam (Perrett) and Krisnan (Inu) both played at fullback for the Kiwis last year and Jason can also cover the position."
Nightingale, 22, made his Kiwis debut in the Centenary Test against Australia in May.
Tuimavave, 24, who has 99 National Rugby League (NRL) appearances to his name, is yet to play for the Kiwis but was in the 19-man squad for last year's Anzac test against the Kangaroos.
Tuimavave was also yesterday called into the All Golds for their match against New Zealand Maori in New Plymouth on Sunday, replacing Sam Rapira who is being rested after playing in all of the Warriors' 27 NRL matches this season.
Revised Kiwis squad: Nathan Cayless (Parramatta, captain), Adam Blair (Melbourne), Greg Eastwood (Brisbane), David Fa'alogo (South Sydney), Nathan Fien (New Zealand Warriors), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Lance Hohaia (NZ Warriors), Krisnan Inu (Parramatta), David Kidwell (South Sydney), Thomas Leuluai (Wigan), Evarn Tuimavave (Warriors), Issac Luke (South Sydney), Simon Mannering (NZ Warriors), Sika Manu (Melbourne), Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers), Steve Matai (Manly), Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters), Sam Rapira (NZ Warriors), Jerome Ropati (NZ Warriors), Setaimata Sa (Sydney Roosters), Jeremy Storm (Melbourne), Iosia Soliola (Sydney Roosters), Manu Vatuvei (NZ Warriors), Jason Nightingale (St George Illawarra).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty handy replacements though, I don't think they'll suffer too much from this.

Especially when you consider that either Inu or Hohaia can slot into fullback quite easily and be more than capable in the role.

Webb and Lima are a big loss to the team. Both would of been in the starting 13, while their replacements, Nightingale and Tuimavave, will struggle to make the 17. Hopefully there won't be any more withdrawals.

blain

Juniors
god dammit, id love to know how many first choice players we've lost for this tournament.

Calixte

First Grade
Well I guess we still won't know how the Kiwis would have gone with a full strength side.

Again...

ByRd

First Grade
1. Perrett/Hohaia
2. Nightingale
3. Inu
4. Matai
5. Vatuvei

That is what they should go with in there backline with Sa coming off the bench

God-King Dean

Immortal
I thought they wouldn't have a chance before. But now... they are f*cked.

At least Nightingale is now taking his rightful place. :cool:

shiznit

Coach
Pure fullback...

Class act there.
i disagree mate.... i think hes a natural halfback...

he was an outstanding halfback all the way through the grades. really highly rated.

then when he got to first grade he mostly played 5/8 because stacey was the man at halfback. once he got dropped from the halves the first time he was never really given a genuine opportunity again.

since then hes looked his best at hooker and fullback.... its no conicidence that those 2 positions are the only positions hes been given an extended role in...

i always thought he was silly to re-sign with the warriors... he would do well under a coach like Tim Sheens or Wayne Bennett...

Last edited:
what has j cayless done not to be picked?

Tuimavave over j cayless? you have got to be f**king kidding me.
Thomas L? give me a f**king break