What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 finals - game day thread Eels v Knights

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Issue for them is Klemmer is on 900k. Frizzel 800k. Both are on decline. Klemmer looked like an old man this year.
I disagree about Frizell. He's as good as ever, but he is 30 soon. He won't be at his peak for long. As for Klemmer, he still has awesome leg drive, and he's not even 28. I think it's more a case of the game leaving him behind than being in decline. If the NRL let the ruck slow down again he would go back to being an elite forward.

hindy111

Post Whore
I disagree about Frizell. He's as good as ever, but he is 30 soon. He won't be at his peak for long. As for Klemmer, he still has awesome leg drive, and he's not even 28. I think it's more a case of the game leaving him behind than being in decline. If the NRL let the ruck slow down again he would go back to being an elite forward.

Frizzel was constantly a top 3 2nd rowers in the game at his best. Now I put him as just a little better then Marata. I'd rather Papali. Next year he may slip to the same level as Marata.Still a good but not worth 800k.
Klemmer started NRL at 18. I don't care how old he is. His body has be punished for 9mseasons now.. He is paid as what he was. The best prop in the game. Now he isn't in top 10. I've seen plenty of props come into Nrl at young ages and by the time they are 26/27 they look shot. He is still NRL level. But not worth anywhere near his price tag.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Frizzel was constantly a top 3 2nd rowers in the game at his best. Now I put him as just a little better then Marata. I'd rather Papali. Next year he may slip to the same level as Marata.Still a good but not worth 800k.
Klemmer started NRL at 18. I don't care how old he is. His body has be punished for 9mseasons now.. He is paid as what he was. The best prop in the game. Now he isn't in top 10. I've seen plenty of props come into Nrl at young ages and by the time they are 26/27 they look shot. He is still NRL level. But not worth anywhere near his price tag.
*JFH?

hindy111

Post Whore

Down on form. New rules suit him. He is fast and mobile. RCG and JNR have more grunt and skills. JFH has more line speed and fitness.
But on age he was 20 and wheened into NRL. Klemmer was throw in and used as a battering ram.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Down on form. New rules suit him. He is fast and mobile. RCG and JNR have more grunt and skills. JFH has more line speed and fitness.
Hes been enormous but hes been owned these past 2 weeks and this is after a few games off. Huge clash Sat night. Hes soft again and Eels may surprise.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Dunno if I’d consider Gutho a small frame. He’s 6’3’’ and 96kg.

Sean Russell will be plenty big enough once he fills out.
Gutho’s certainly not a big frame and Russell probably will be big enough once he fills out. My concern is whether he will fill out sufficiently by the start of next season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon Sivo finishes all the tries that Russell would, but doubt Russell finishes all the ones Sivo does.
And after a few games, reckon Russell wouId finish a few of the long distance opportunities Sivo gets but stops mid run for a rest.

Russell wouId also give us the option to shift the ball a bit more in our half because of his speed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
On Russell (188 cm / 90kg) he is already as big as Dunster (187cm / 90kg).

And Russell has only had one NRL offseason. So wouIdnt surprise if he put on 3-4 kg after another offseason. He has age on his side. Plus his training program may be adjusted too, if the club see him as a winger / centre next year rather then a fullback.

And obviously a very small sample size but Russell is already potentially as good as Dunster in metres per run:

Dunster (13 games), 2021 averages 9.08 m per run (12 runs / 109m per game)

Russell (2 games) average 9.5 per run ( 9 runs / 86 m per game but did make 121 m in his first game against the dogs).

additionally Dunster has shown a big improvement after a few games, so Russell wouId obviously improve too.

yy_cheng

Coach
I remember russel scoring a try and he dived way before the tryline to let momentum bring him over and to prevent the defenders pushing him into touch.

So he has some smarts

Sivo just tries with brute force and I reckon the more injuries he gets, the more of a cat he'll be

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I reckon it will be a good part of next season until we see him back anyway (Sivo). He seems to need a long lead up time to get back to fitness. By then Russell might have proved his worth and the Tigers can take Sivo off our hands.

Latest posts