What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 finals - game day thread Eels v Knights

yy_cheng

Coach
Starting wingers next year barring another signing will be Dunster and Sivo. Dunster into Fergo’s spot and Russell into Dunster’s. Sivo might anger people but at his best, he’s very good winger. The task with him is to get him to do it every week.

But one thing that’s been really pleasing me of late is Waqa’s willingness to get back early and take hit ups. If he continues that, carrying lightweight wingers can work
Sivo is ahead of Russell but gee Sivo's urgency, ruck outs, takes under the high bomb are too inconsistent for me.

I would actually prefer Russell get a run in front of sivo

84 Baby

Referee
Sivo is ahead of Russell but gee Sivo's urgency, ruck outs, takes under the high bomb are too inconsistent for me.

I would actually prefer Russell get a run in front of sivo
Well with Sivo’s injury and judicial record, I’m certain Russell will get opportunities

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In terms of the knights next year unless ponga has a tommy turbo type season and drags newcastle to a few extra wins. I cant see too much improvement from them elsewhere to fear them overtaking us next year.

Mitchell pearce is past it and has proven he cant dominate big games. Frizzell is getting older. Gagai isnt a game breaker. Klemmer isnt the same player he was 3 years ago. Connor watson is leaving.

Outside of the saifiti twins there isnt much else there to me that will see newcastle improve on what they currently have
I disagree. Newcastle have a lot of players still in their early 20s. These merkins all played at least a dozen games this year:

Best
Clifford
Jones
Ponga
To'a
Tuala

Crossland and Hoy also both played a third of a season (eight games). They'll all be better for the run.

hindy111

Post Whore
I disagree. Newcastle have a lot of players still in their early 20s. These merkins all played at least a dozen games this year:

Best
Clifford
Jones
Ponga
To'a
Tuala

Crossland and Hoy also both played a third of a season (eight games). They'll all be better for the run.

Issue for them is Klemmer is on 900k. Frizzel 800k. Both are on decline. Klemmer looked like an old man this year.
The side is solid. They had a soft draw but lots of injuries. I think they can maybe make the top 8. But a stinker of a year wouldn't surprise. Pearce is also in decline.
Ponga is brilliant inside opposition red zone. Id say best of all the fullbacks. But outside of being in that area I am not sure he rates highly. His cart backs are weak. Defense ok but not the top 5.
Teddy,Turbo,Papenhuzen,Latrel are far more dangerous in every other part of the field. So unsure where I rate Pongamas far as what he is worth. His ball playing is best by far. But every other part of his game including running I don't think is mind blowing.

eels_fan

First Grade
Sivo will miss a month or two.

Whoever gets the start could get the jump on him with a great start both individually and as a team

Tooooks

Bench
I’m more concerned with rucking it out early in the set. You need size/power for that. Dunster has done ok in that department but it’s not his strongest asset. We’re talking next year and so I don’t think Russell will be able to put on enough beef, especially with another small frame in Gutho at the back.
Dunno if I’d consider Gutho a small frame. He’s 6’3’’ and 96kg.

Sean Russell will be plenty big enough once he fills out.