What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 final v Storm

Gronk

Staff member
Broncos were not interested in the wrestle, rarely had their hands on the ball and had poor line speed. Next week will be different.

Ricky has worked them out and it seems that offloads and dogged tenacity breaks Storm. I heard Blocker say the other night that the way you beat the wrestle is by playing an expansive game. Well we can do that. The thing is that yesterday was perfect dry conditions. Can we play an expansive game with a dewy ball ?

I know that we’ll give it a red hot crack.

Gronk

Staff member
So I guess we can assume that Dylan will get a Grade 1 Dangerous Contact (crusher) charge ? 75 points with early guilty plea - free to play ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that was pretty soft tbh

it was technically a crusher but pretty low impact, the Fox commentators talked about it and said a penalty should be enough, I agree

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree with both of you here.

Key will be for mine not getting sucked into the grind, and playing some football. Melbourne will smother us with their wrestle and then rape us through the middle with their big men if we allow them to dictate how the game is played.

I reckon BA has turned the game on it's head a bit in both yesterdays game and the game against Manly, We haven't seemed to earn the right to go wide by creating the space through the middle, if anything it's been the other way around. We've spread early to the edges as soon as we created a a little space, and it's run the opposition packs around enough to tire them through the middle. Although it has still come from some outstanding work from our pigs to create offloads and just that little bit off space.

I reckon that is the game plan that can beat the Storm, they win games with their defence through the ruck, then ice it with their back line, if we deny them the opportunity to lay all over us in the middle, by making them tackle more on the edges, that'll go a long way to nullifying the wrestle.

Yep!! The storm can struggle against the offload, as they so good around the ruck, once the ball “unexpectedly” gets moved “suddenly” away from the ruck they can be a “bit thin” out wide.

Obviously it’s easier said then done but!!

However one benefit is while the storm are pretty strong defensively they can struggle a bit in attack, so aren’t as clinical as previous sides.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think we're the same team that should have beaten them in 2017. I think we're better. It looks to me like Arthur has adopted a higher risk strategy, particularly of late. And that's the right approach for our team. Stick to your guns BA.

Actually don’t think it’s higher risk, just a game plan, that plays to our strengths/players skill set. And it’s just a bit different to the normal structure we expect.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not that it means much, but Laurie Daley on the BSB this morning was fairly bullish about our chances against the storm.

Gronk

Staff member
Not that it means much, but Laurie Daley on the BSB this morning was fairly bullish about our chances against the storm.
I will need to watch the Raiders Storm match again, but I'm pretty sure that Ricky went out to bash them and hurt them with offloads. We can do that provided that the refs handle the storm wrestle fair.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I will need to watch the Raiders Storm match again, but I'm pretty sure that Ricky went out to bash them and hurt them with offloads. We can do that provided that the refs handle the storm wrestle fair.

Raiders only made 4 offloads yesterday, we made 18. Storm made 1. We haven’t made less then 10 offloads since the dragons game (we made 8).

Our last few games including yesterday we have 18, 18, 16, 21, 16 and 12 offloads

Bazal

Post Whore

Key will be for mine not getting sucked into the grind, and playing some football. Melbourne will smother us with their wrestle and then rape us through the middle with their big men if we allow them to dictate how the game is played.

I reckon BA has turned the game on it's head a bit in both yesterdays game and the game against Manly, We haven't seemed to earn the right to go wide by creating the space through the middle, if anything it's been the other way around. We've spread early to the edges as soon as we created a a little space, and it's run the opposition packs around enough to tire them through the middle. Although it has still come from some outstanding work from our pigs to create offloads and just that little bit off space.

I reckon that is the game plan that can beat the Storm, they win games with their defence through the ruck, then ice it with their back line, if we deny them the opportunity to lay all over us in the middle, by making them tackle more on the edges, that'll go a long way to nullifying the wrestle.

I ain't a coach or NRL quality player obvs but as a half if I came up against a side like Melbourne at my level I'd be running my middles at the space on their middles outside shoulder. Pop offloads back the halves/centres and work off second phase on the edges.

Then shift when we start to get some space.

If we get sucked into a battle at the ruck they'll beat us with experience and #penaltycam458785288.

Its very exciting!

Noise

Coach
Raiders only made 4 offloads yesterday, we made 18. Storm made 1. We haven’t made less then 10 offloads since the dragons game (we made 8).

Our last few games including yesterday we have 18, 18, 16, 21, 16 and 12 offloads
Yep, I don;t know why people have been saying Canberra killed them with offloads. They barely threw any.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

To be fair, going wide early was how we played in 2017 as well. It stopped working last year and I believe it was because of the crackdown on ruck infringements. Refs were blowing so many penalties there that they let teams stand offside out wide.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
To be fair, going wide early was how we played in 2017 as well. It stopped working last year and I believe it was because of the crackdown on ruck infringements. Refs were blowing so many penalties there that they let teams stand offside out wide.

Yes, we used our edge forwards a lot in 2017. However we didn’t have much of a threat in the middle with our forwards, they were fairly “skill-less”.

Paulo / Evans / Brown are all threats with ball, either with an offload / pass.

Even Alvaro has got a few offloads away too.

hindy111

Post Whore
that was pretty soft tbh

it was technically a crusher but pretty low impact, the Fox commentators talked about it and said a penalty should be enough, I agree

A penalty was harsh. Sivo had 2 done on him identical

hindy111

Post Whore
Did hindy111 algorithm not predict eels win by note then 20?
It works and I will be using it for this wekeend game also.
Does anyone know what the humidity levels will be in Melbourne the next 3 days?

emjaycee

Coach
Did hindy111 algorithm not predict eels win by note then 20?
It works and I will be using it for this wekeend game also.
Does anyone know what the humidity levels will be in Melbourne the next 3 days?
It's gunna be hot. Damn Hot. And wet.
Damn hot and wet.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'll start punching some figures.
And load it into the formula. It's quite detailed so may take a day to get results