What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome Back Luciano

Mojo

Bench
Gaol is an obsolescent spelling of the word now usually spelled jail.
Gaol was common outside North American until fairly recently (it was stamped out of American English in the early 19th century, and dropped out of Canadian use about a century later), but it underwent a steady decline through the 20th century and now appears only rarely.
grammarist.com
OK. But what about English English?

Crush

Coach
OK. But what about English English?
Mojo, I think the last sentence is talking about English English.
Let me break it down.
American English realised gaol was a stupid spelling in early 1800s
Canada joined them in early 1900s.
Throughout the 1900s all other English speaking countries adopted the spelling Jail until by 1990 it was all but an obsolete spelling.
Except for ofcourse in the dragons forum where Mojo, Snowdragon, RedVee and some tigers wannabe Laywer, all persist with the spelling gaol, as their ancestors before them did.

Dragon David

First Grade
OK guys, this is a "Welcome Back Luciano" Thread which was started by Slippery Morris a few days ago. How in hell did we get to the stage of determining if the word is gaol or jail? Who gives? The way that lots of people are using words nowadays would not get a pass mark in my schooling days but the idea is if it reads Ok then leave it. We are not Spelling or Grammar lecturers on this Forum.

Let's just stick to the topic and put positives on this thread. LL hasn't even had a game with us this time round so when he does we can post what we think of how he will be this year.
Cheers DD

OK guys, this is a "Welcome Back Luciano" Thread which was started by Slippery Morris a few days ago. How in hell did we get to the stage of determining if the word is gaol or jail? Who gives? The way that lots of people are using words nowadays would not get a pass mark in my schooling days but the idea is if it reads Ok then leave it. We are not Spelling or Grammar lecturers on this Forum.

Let's just stick to the topic and put positives on this thread. LL hasn't even had a game with us this time round so when he does we can post what we think of how he will be this year.
Cheers DD

Some positives DD, when he’s on:

He’s just a powerful human- difficult to tackle one on one. It’s a suicide mission. He will hurt you in attack and defence.

He’s unnaturally agile for his size. Just good DNA. Very rare.

Solid factory hands, can catch and pass. Capable of second phasing with draw and offloading. He’s looking for it too. That’s the genuine attacking threat. I wish more players had this outlook.

He loves the chaos of the game, rolls up his sleeves and digs in. He’s had less than stellar games, but he’s not on a perpetual holiday. He’s just drawn to the physical. I think his pain threshold must be higher than 99% of players.

We should never have released him. He was a breath of fresh air in very dark and challenging times.

If Flanno can wind him up, he will make a massive impact. A really good fit.

He seems happy to be home.

You might have paid a bit overs, but it wasn’t excessive or bordering on a jailable offence.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach

Cheers DD
You’re right DD, I got sucked into a spelling debate on the back of the legal lesson in a thread about Luciano Leilua.
On Luc, great to have him back in the team, he’s a proper impact player on his day, hopefully he stays motivated and is more consistent than he’s been in the past. And fingers crossed his off field dramas are behind him, we don’t need any more players in the newspapers trying to avoid gaol.

Dragon David

First Grade
Some positives DD, when he’s on:

He’s just a powerful human- difficult to tackle one on one. It’s a suicide mission. He will hurt you in attack and defence.

He’s unnaturally agile for his size. Just good DNA. Very rare.

Solid factory hands, can catch and pass. Capable of second phasing with draw and offloading. He’s looking for it too. That’s the genuine attacking threat. I wish more players had this outlook.

He loves the chaos of the game, rolls up his sleeves and digs in. He’s had less than stellar games, but he’s not on a perpetual holiday. He’s just drawn to the physical. I think his pain threshold must be higher than 99% of players.

We should never have released him. He was a breath of fresh air in very dark and challenging times.

If Flanno can wind him up, he will make a massive impact. A really good fit.

He seems happy to be home.

You might have paid a bit overs, but it wasn’t excessive or bordering on a jailable offence.
Now that is what I like to read. Good one Silverdale.

Dragon David

First Grade
You’re right DD, I got sucked into a spelling debate on the back of the legal lesson in a thread about Luciano Leilua.
On Luc, great to have him back in the team, he’s a proper impact player on his day, hopefully he stays motivated and is more consistent than he’s been in the past. And fingers crossed his off field dramas are behind him, we don’t need any more players in the newspapers trying to avoid gaol.
Nice!:D

Mojo

Bench
Let me break it down.
Throughout the 1900s all other English speaking countries adopted the spelling Jail until by 1990 it was all but an obsolete spelling.
Except for ofcourse in the dragons forum where Mojo, Snowdragon, RedVee and some tigers wannabe Laywer, all persist with the spelling gaol, as their ancestors before them did.
Just having a laugh. I don’t care either way.

I love Luciano. Very happy to have him back. He’s a great player. Almost unique. Looks right in the RedV. We missed him badly.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Let me break it down.
I always see it as as fight back against Americanisation …

but, back on topic, I have great hope Luciano. He looked happy with the squad, and together with his size, he has natural ball skills and footwork. Will he buy in? will his fitness be good enough? Will he keep the stupid out of his game?

to be clear, I think he is a good signing, but will he end up as a great signing?

I always see it as as fight back against Americanisation …

but, back on topic, I have great hope Luciano. He looked happy with the squad, and together with his size, he has natural ball skills and footwork. Will he buy in? will his fitness be good enough? Will he keep the stupid out of his game?

to be clear, I think he is a good signing, but will he end up as a great signing?
He’s under a bit of personal pressure to play very well.

If he can’t nail it for you guys, he’s off to ESL to retire I’d say.

He’s not the big kid with stars in his eyes anymore. I think he knows the stakes are sky high.

jak

Bench

Cheers DD
having to stop the kids from arguing again dave

I wasn’t sure what the NRL are doing about his non disclosure of the DUI:

He’s under investigation,

They may suspend him, but the problem is that it hurts so many other innocent SGI stakeholders.

There’s an argument that you bought him with the uncertainty attached.

But Id prefer to see him get a nasty fine myself because it’s his fault and no one else’s.

He should have got a lawyer and tried for a non conviction, but still, the damage was done by his secrecy.