What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I was initially annoyed at them just going with ‘Dolphins’ but I can kind of understand it at least for a couple of years. Redcliffe fans know they’re the Dolphins in red and they train at Redcliffe without pissing off their base fans by being called ‘Brisbane’ or ‘Nth Bris’ etc. Hopefully people throughout Brisbane will go to Dolphins games at Suncorp and not be put off by the team being called ‘Redcliffe’… I hope that all made sense.

Then in a few years you can call them Brisbane or Morton Bay or South Queensland or whatever and you’ve already got your old Redcliffe fans onboard and have gathered up fans from throughout SE Qld

xe_kilroy

Juniors
It's probably entirely unique in world sport, to have a sports team not have a location name. But I really dislike the decision. Detrimental, even.

I understand the various options for a geographic name were problematic -- too insular, too generic, not a good ring to it, etc. But a very weird decision.

Nuke

Staff member
Presumably, given what promos they've already released, the Dolphins' colours will be red, white, & gold.

That puts a dampener on not one but TWO future hopeful expansion bids down the track, with both the West Coast Pirates (red, gold, black, & white) and PNG (red, gold, black) both having similar colours lined up.

It's probably entirely unique in world sport, to have a sports team not have a location name. But I really dislike the decision. Detrimental, even.

I understand the various options for a geographic name were problematic -- too insular, too generic, not a good ring to it, etc. But a very weird decision.
Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns played in the BRL without representing a geographical area. Super Rugby does it too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Presumably, given what promos they've already released, the Dolphins' colours will be red, white, & gold.

That puts a dampener on not one but TWO future hopeful expansion bids down the track, with both the West Coast Pirates (red, gold, black, & white) and PNG (red, gold, black) both having similar colours lined up.
Maybe the quokkas will get in and use poo brown lol

Perth Red

Post Whore

most of the stupid 15 clubs and it made no sense for them either!
had to laugh at Abdo going on about tribalism, then saying the name was to capture fans right across queensland!

Pippen94

First Grade
I was initially annoyed at them just going with ‘Dolphins’ but I can kind of understand it at least for a couple of years. Redcliffe fans know they’re the Dolphins in red and they train at Redcliffe without pissing off their base fans by being called ‘Brisbane’ or ‘Nth Bris’ etc. Hopefully people throughout Brisbane will go to Dolphins games at Suncorp and not be put off by the team being called ‘Redcliffe’… I hope that all made sense.

Then in a few years you can call them Brisbane or Morton Bay or South Queensland or whatever and you’ve already got your old Redcliffe fans onboard and have gathered up fans from throughout SE Qld

Yep, what ever they went with would've been either too broad or specific.
Wasps rugby club is one example I can think of off the top of my head. There are probably more obvious ones

mongoose

Coach

The Pirates should just go Gold+Black like Richmond.