What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The argument is that they wouldn’t have to provide any extra money. Fair enough that is a strong argument notwithstanding what happened with the Dolphins.

The problem is their reporting hasn’t really supported that view. They are piling on the Warriors (probably fair enough although like the Tigers I wished they tempered it a little) and some of their reporters have openly questioned the validity of a second team.

Now you can discount some of that, particularly if you fall on the side of editorial independence.
They didn’t provide any extra money for the dolphins, ninth game will be paid for regardless of which team it is. the extra slot is where the real value is, hence why fox and nine paid nothing extra for a 17th club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Taking the above comments re Norths and Manly and the North Shore how would a similar situation go with one Hull team in the UK, according to GROTD after 20 Odd years people will not have grown up with two clubs and league will be the winner, no Aussie Rules to drift off to follow.
20 years time kids in hull would be supporting whichever club still represented the city. Besides you can’t compare the tribalism of manly and norths with east and west hull, Hull divide is more akin to Catholics and protestants in Northern Ireland lol

LeagueXIII

First Grade
20 years time kids in hull would be supporting whichever club still represented the city. Besides you can’t compare the tribalism of manly and norths with east and west hull, Hull divide is more akin to Catholics and protestants in Northern Ireland lol

True and may it stay that way....though they did try it with the academy teams.

In 2018 Sydney games averaged 13,509 to 90 games compared to 16,804 for out of Sydney games to 102 games, this is an average of 14,865 if the Broncos are taken out.

Hardly a massive difference.

This is not the issue because if it is based on crowds league would get half the money it gets, it is the TV audience that matters, particularly that of western Sydney. This is the gold mine for the game.
You got those TV figures for 1987?
Seven of those non-Sydney games were in the country.

Barlow Park CAIRNS
Carrington Park BATHURST
Glen Willow MUDGEE
Marley Brown CLINTON
Marrara DARWIN
Scully TAMWORTH
Clive Berghoffer Stadium TOOWOOMBA
Ave. 8,193

QUEENSLAND CLUBS @ HOME GROUNDS

Willows TOWNSVILLE
15,417 x 12
Lang Park BRISBANE
28,994 x 14
Robina Stadium GOLD COAST
14,124 x 10
Ave. 19,512 x 36 Games

Two games were taken to Lang Park by interstate clubs.

MELBOURNE STORM

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium MELBOURNE
16,036 x 11

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

Newcastle ISC NEWCASTLE
18,974 x 12

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS

Mt Smart Stadium AUCKLAND
16,040 x 13

1 game taken to Auckland by a Sydney club.

CANBERRA RAIDERS

Bruce Stadium CANBERRA
11,862 x 12

Canterbury Bulldogs
@ Belmore 8,644 x 2

Manly Sea Eagles
@ Brookvale 8,630 x 10

Wests Tigers
@ Campbelltown 9,945 x 3
@ Leichhardt 16,166 x 3

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
They didn’t provide any extra money for the dolphins, ninth game will be paid for regardless of which team it is. the extra slot is where the real value is, hence why fox and nine paid nothing extra for a 17th club.
notwithstanding what happened with the
Dolphins.

I am not going to go into the discussion about whether they paid more or not but that is what that meant.

In any case, you seem convinced that News Ltd/Nine are going to considerably pay more for an extra side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In any case, you seem convinced that News Ltd/Nine are going to considerably pay more for an extra side.
There is no discussion, they didnt.

no, hopefully someone will pay more for an extra game. Which club is largely irrelevant to value of the ninth game. AFl claim they got $50mill a year for their ninth game, despite it including two new clubs hardly anyone watches.

At the moment the tv rights are worth $50mill a game. Thats the target. Then it will genuinely pay for the Dolphins and the new team with some left over.

This reminds me so much of the super league days when the terror graph journos would just attack clubs that affected their interest negatively
Bennett is full of double standards. When he coached Brisbane he used their clout to lure players away from other clubs. He's now with a new entrant that doesn't have that clout. Now he knows what it's like to be on the receiving end.

Perth Red

Post Whore

This reminds me so much of the super league days when the terror graph journos would just attack clubs that affected their interest negatively
It’s actually more of a kent v Bennett spat than news ltd against dolphins. He never misses an opportunity to have a go at him, this time it’s thinly veiled in dolphins recruitment problems.

Colk

First Grade

What are you talking about? They still do and have done for a long time. Can you remember the last negative story about the Roosters or the last positive one about the Tigers?

Iamback

Coach
What are you talking about? They still do and have done for a long time. Can you remember the last negative story about the Roosters or the last positive one about the Tigers?

RL Journos is all full of agendas. Best thing to do is not read it.

As for the Dolphins squad. It would beat a lot of teams. I'd put it in where the Manly/Roosters fight for the 8 spot is.

Depends on the young guys of course

Perth Red

Post Whore

As for the Dolphins squad. It would beat a lot of teams. I'd put it in where the Manly/Roosters fight for the 8 spot is.

The spine is currently incredibly weak, no way they are finishing above 9th/10th unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat signing or Bennett somehow refinds his mojo. At the moment the spine is

1. Isaako
6. K Nikorima
7. O'Sullivan
9. Marshall-King

Sorry but that's not a good spine by any stretch. Pack is pretty good though.

Wb1234

Referee
The spine is currently incredibly weak, no way they are finishing above 9th/10th unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat signing or Bennett somehow refinds his mojo. At the moment the spine is

1. Isaako
6. K Nikorima
7. O'Sullivan
9. Stone

Sorry but that's not a good spine by any stretch. Pack is pretty good though.
Bennett.
He’s won nrl titles with plod teams eg dragons

Perth Red

Post Whore
They seem to love sheensy on NRL360, if he (and Benji) gets the job they will be all pro Tigers you watch.

Colk

First Grade

I don’t generally. I just scroll to see if there are any signings or expansion talk.

It’s a shame though when uninformed readers make conclusions on these things though and these perceptions do in turn play a big role on the succes, or otherwise, of certain clubs

Wb1234

Referee
They seem to love sheensy on NRL360, if he (and Benji) gets the job they will be all pro Tigers you watch.
For a month

then when they keep losing they will turn on him

if Benji does get involved in the coaching yeh that might buy them a year lol

Colk

First Grade

Particularly Benji. Their reporting is a disgrace though. They’ll whinge about the Tigers having to pay overs or failing to sign players without any sort of reflection as to what role they play in that. If you keep pounding that agenda of course they are going to find it difficult to recruit anybody (and yes I agree that the Tigers management have been ordinary but do you have to have every story about that) Totally inverse with regards to the Roosters. Politis is a god to them

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bennett.
He’s won nrl titles with plod teams eg dragons
plod? They had rep experienced backline!

Boyd (Origin)
Morris (Origin)
Gasnier (Origin)
Cooper (Origin)
Nightingale (Kiwis)

Ok halves werent the greatest ever in Soward and Hornby but they had some decent talent in the forwards as well with the likes of Jeremy Smith (Kiwis) Fien (Kiwis) Creagh (origin) etc. He inherited a good squad that went to minor premiers and premiers in his first two years.

Was terrible at Newcastle though which is much more akin to Dolphins scenario, only had a 45% record and left the club in a mess. If Dolphins get the Broncos Wayne happy days, if they get the Knights Wayne, oh dear.

Latest posts