What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done NSW

isaiah

Bench
That wasn't really his fault. He had to work with an injured Greg Inglis outside him, a half back on one leg beside him and a shit house forward pack that would have gotten exposed much earlier on had it not been for QLD's incredible backl ine, BTW Hayne was invisible on attack tonight as well. It wasn't really a night for the backs. Slater you could maybe make an argument for, and that's a BIG maybe but Thurston is the best player in the world.
cannot agree with the assessment of the qld forwards. we at the very least matched your forwards in both games. especially in this second game, hayne was nullified, because we gave him no space. we marginally were on top in the forwards for long stretches of the game, even with our forward leader, matt scott, off injured.

Dragon2010

First Grade
They did when it mattered. If QLD were playing well they would have put NSW away in the first half. NSW played well to hang in there!

You guys won eight straight series for the very same reason - being the better team when it counted.

cannot agree with the assessment of the qld forwards. we at the very least matched your forwards in both games. especially in this second game, hayne was nullified, because we gave him no space. we marginally were on top in the forwards for long stretches of the game, even with our forward leader, matt scott, off injured.

The QLD forwards have been pretty defensive over the past few seasons. Mal knows that QLD couldn't match NSW upfront so he tended to go for more mobile forwards who can get through a heavy defensive load while making honest metres and can set the backs up with a half decent platform. I will concede the fact that your forwards did do an outstanding job on defence but in attack they were largely irrelevant except that one Thaiday break. It's been like that for the last few seasons with the QLD forward pack, the NSW forwards for Game 2 IMO were quite poor in attack, largely due to the great defence. In game 1 they were better but nothing like last year where the NSW forwards were going through QLD, much of that IMO is due to the absence of Andrew Fifita. In short what I'm saying is that the QLD forward pack don't have much x-factor to it. There is the Thaiday and his set plays and the occasional Parker offload but that's been it. Contrast that to NSW - Gallen, Watmough, Bird, Lewis, Merrin and Fifita if he wasn't injured.

Meth

Staff member
I must admit that I was happy to see the drought broken last night. It meant a lot to the players. It meant a lot to the fans. I would have preferred it happened in game III, but however...

Dragon2010

First Grade
I must admit that I was happy to see the drought broken last night. It meant a lot to the players. It meant a lot to the fans. I would have preferred it happened in game III, but however...

While it would've been good. I'm happy it was game 2, as I myself, like many other blues fans were able to witness it live, at the stadium and enjoy the raw emotion in the air.

Canard

Immortal
Well done and well played. That Hayne into the crowd moment will be iconic.

PS Where are all those LU mongs who claimed that only QLD "care" about Origin now?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well done and well played. That Hayne into the crowd moment will be iconic.

PS Where are all those LU mongs who claimed that only QLD "care" about Origin now?

Back into their holes where they belong

Mr XXXX Im looking at you.....

Evil_Mush

Juniors
As a Queensland supporter, I was OK with them losing that game, purely because they didn't deserve to win due to some pretty sloppy play, regardless of potential dodgy/controversial decisions.

Seeing all the rushing-in-jersey-grabbing throughout the game just became hilarious, knowing that no-one would throw a punch. Enjoyed Thurston's massage of Reynolds face & throat toward the end there (god I hope him & Bird get smashed in game 3), funny that the 'coming together of heads' was what went on report, barely could consider that a headbutt.

Knightmare

Coach
Kudos, Pete.

It's a strange feeling today- I keep thinking back to last nights' tough encounter and what an 80's style grind the whole match was. On those grounds alone, it was a tough but unspectacular contest. Except this time, instead of having constant flashbacks to moments of derpitude from a Blues player or a bad refs call that cost us, I then keep remembering that it's all over now. The wait is over and the series is ours!

The best thing of all this is not having to worry about the next game anymore. As much as I would LOVE to turn this series into a Bluewash, it's just such an unusual feeling to have this weight off the shoulders and know that even if we get pumped, Qld won't be taking the shield back with them or boasting about a clean-sweep. Such a contrast in feeling to the aftermath of Game 3 last year- it was meant to be our series. We'd won Game 1 deservedly, slipped up in Game 2 (for a number of reasons) but there was still that expectation that NSW would bring it home and seal the series in Game 3. Watching Pearce ruin it again and Qld somehow hold on to win had me (and plenty of other Blues fans I'm sure) wondering how long it would be until the shield was ours? I thought ahead to this year with Qld getting two games, and the following year with a game in Melbourne and had that sinking feeling of wondering how much closer we'd have to get before finally winning that Shield back? I certainly didn't think I'd be celebrating less than a year later!

To the Qld fans crying about being "robbed"- take some of the advice you've given out to Blues fans over the years and suck it up! You lost. Plenty of times the bounce of the ball or the 50/50 calls have gone Qld's way and NSW have had to cop it sweet. This time, for once, it went our way. Swings and roundabouts.

To all the people in NSW who stayed solid and never thought about switching- well done to all of you. Qld can never again claim their fans have a mortgage on passion after the way we stuck solid these past 8 years. Origin was never in danger as a concept. Blatchy's Blues got bigger every time Origin came back to Sydney. We stayed in there long enough and now here is our reward- and how sweet it is! Also a shout-out to the kids who'd never seen their State win Origin- enjoy the feeling today kids- may this be a feeling you get used to!

18/6/14: Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Last edited:

Cammo

Bench
22 hours on and I am still buzzing. So great to finally win it after all these years.

We can finally again say - NSW are Origin Champions!!!

Said it before,but as good as this QLD reign was, I don't think they were as good as the boys from 1987-89, not only because of the results but the opposition was superior.We had Kenny,O'Connor , Sterling, Roach ,Pearce, Elias and Jack etc.They won 7 straight games and back to back whitewashes and done us four out of four in Sydney.

ggmu

Juniors
No way to know how the game would have need effected if at all but a player like Lockyer would have been great in a game like this. DCE was not 100% and JT was abit to interested in the niggle. A calming influence like Lockyer might have been the difference. But anyway congrats to the blue again. I'm kind of happy for some if you lol if the shoe was on the other foot I know how f**king happy I would be today.

natheel

Coach
Bitterness aside, NSW winning was probably good timing. Origin is flying at incredible heights and restoring the rivalry on equal terms will maintain that momentum into the future. It's time for the next generation of QLD to make their mark.

Milford, McG, Copley and Hunt should all debut next year. Slater, Tate and Thurston seriously need to consider their rep future.

Well Tate is done due to injury but I think Thurston can go again. DCE will be the 7 with Thurston at 6. But who would be five eighth when Thurston goes. Slater may give it up due to his injuries creeping in more frequently

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Well Tate is done due to injury but I think Thurston can go again. DCE will be the 7 with Thurston at 6. But who would be five eighth when Thurston goes. Slater may give it up due to his injuries creeping in more frequently

I would've thought DCE to 6 and Hunt into the 7 is where they're going.

Latest posts