What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Done to Alan, Denis and Michael

newmanj

Juniors
I for one am ecstatic with the outcome of todays events re Tim Smith. I think it shows the quality of the management and coaching staff of our great club, and also the mateship of our players, who have came out strongly in support of Tim. I am proud to be an eels supporter today. For that matter, i have always been, actually. However, today i am especially proud.

Well done to Alan, Denis and Michael in dealing with an extremely difficult situation with class and leadership.

Tim Smith WILL be back bigger and better in the future, and i dont care how long it takes, as at the moment, his health is priority one.

Also like to say, that i am pleased to see that most of you fellow forum members who were yesterday screaming a chorus of demands for his head, have accepted that helping him is far more important than cutting him loose to fight for himself.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think they handled it very well. Sacking him was not going to do any good, if only because someone else would snap him up within the week. The club has invested a lot in his development and it would be stupid to sack him when it would simply mean another club benefits from that. Better for us to get him on track and take advantage of it ourselves.

I'm also pleased with the result as a 22 year old guy myself. I would think it ludicrous to sack a bloke my age for drinking, especially as there was no hint of him playing up or harassing anybody. Sure, he was silly, breaking a club imposed ban...but if that's a sackable fence then I'm the Druid King of Ireland...

Smartman

Juniors
Not knocking the eels but it would most certainly have been a different outcome if it was someone like Wagon or Robinson.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think so...Timmy has a real problem and booked himself into rehab from all reports that I have heard...if either of those blokes were in the same situation then I feel the club would have acted the same way

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Also, it was not a club imposed ban, Tim Smith put it on himself, therefore he broke his own ban, not the clubs and he justly took care of the problem himself by putting himself into a rehab clinic. He made the mistake, he took care of it, he knows his responsibilities. Signs of a grown man.

I am with newmanj, not only am I proud of the club, but am also proud of Tim Smith for being a man.!

Suitman

Post Whore
Bazal said:
I don't think so...Timmy has a real problem and booked himself into rehab from all reports that I have heard...if either of those blokes were in the same situation then I feel the club would have acted the same way

I would be amazed IF Tim booked HIMSELF into rehab.
Alchoholics just don't do that, as Forward Pass and others have pointed out.
It is a disease and those suffering this disease need help. Believe me, I have been very close to someone who has been through the process.

I'm more inclined to think that he has some close people around him who have helped him through to make this decision. Me thinks his mum and sisters. Those that are closest to him.

In saying that, I'm not even convinced Tim's an alchoholic. But, he does need some serious guidance.

I agree with Jason N's comments. I just hope that the club and those close to him seriously persue and moniter his time away from the club. He can't do it on his own.

I wish him my sincerest wishes in his road back to the top of his game.

Suity

Hutchy86

Juniors
I know he's a first grade footballer but ffs did they SERIOUSLY think they could keep a 22yr. old off the grog during the off season?
You're only young once... punish your liver while it can still handle it.
Am pleased with the decision however... some people just can't seem to hold their grog (me included) and it's those people who need the piece of mind and self-awareness to sit back & learn how to have a quiet one (definitely me included). It'll do Timmy more good then harm and I sincerely hope he becomes a better footballer because of it.

MrT

Juniors
Smartman said:
Not knocking the eels but it would most certainly have been a different outcome if it was someone like Wagon or Robinson.

who are you kidding Smartman. Your club's the biggest disgrace when it comes to these things.

Tim Smith was drinking alcohol, not breaking the law.

Mason - busted taking cocaine by your club and they swept it under the carpet, well look how it cam back to bite them on the arse. - CRIMINAL OFFENCE

Mutuia - Drink Driving - CRIMINAL OFFENCE
SBW - Drink Driving - CRIMINAL OFFENCE, 7 speeding fines.

DID THE DOGS SACK ANY OF THEM FOR THESE MATTERS?????????

NO, THEY GOT CONTRACT UPGRADES

Oh and we heard what happened at Coffs.

I think he will become a better person cause of this with and it will flow onto his football.
But lets just worry about Tim Smith the person for the moment the football part of his life should be on hold for now.

Eelectrica

Referee
Just want to wish Tim all the best in overcoming his issues.
Just hope he takes his time, football ain't going anywhere. I look forward to the day the club and he feel that he has overcome his demons and he can repay the faith shown in him by the club.

Good luck Timmy, get well.

Flame_Trees

Juniors
I really dont know why people are going off and wanted the kid sacked for,for gods sake its the off season and a guys entitled to live a life and have a few beers,or 20 if he wants.
So long as he doesnt play up...I could tell you a story about the eels greatest half when in his prime what he got upto here in Bowral 1 nite at the local hotel and tim smiths antics are nothing compared to it.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Flame_Trees said:
I really dont know why people are going off and wanted the kid sacked for,for gods sake its the off season and a guys entitled to live a life and have a few beers,or 20 if he wants.
So long as he doesnt play up...I could tell you a story about the eels greatest half when in his prime what he got upto here in Bowral 1 nite at the local hotel and tim smiths antics are nothing compared to it.

but the players are under public pressure being the celebraties that they are and they cannot get away with things that a normal 22 year old can, while that may not seem fair the flip side is a normal 22 year old isn't earning 300k a year.

Tim needs to learn that just like everyone else in his position and maybe now he has but this is what the 5th time his been in the press about an alcohol related problem.

Jarryd Hayne had that incident in the Roxy (i think) when he 1st came into grade sure it was all blown out of proportion but you haven't seen Hayne in the press for something like that since have you.

However the likes of Mason and Gower keep on offending time and time again and Tim was quickly heading down the same road as those two.

At the end of the day helping Tim was the right idea although I still think there should be some form of punishment outside of the help but thats a discussion for after Tim gets the help he needs.

Smartman

Juniors
MrT said:
who are you kidding Smartman. Your club's the biggest disgrace when it comes to these things.

Tim Smith was drinking alcohol, not breaking the law.

Mason - busted taking cocaine by your club and they swept it under the carpet, well look how it cam back to bite them on the arse. - CRIMINAL OFFENCE

Mutuia - Drink Driving - CRIMINAL OFFENCE
SBW - Drink Driving - CRIMINAL OFFENCE, 7 speeding fines.

DID THE DOGS SACK ANY OF THEM FOR THESE MATTERS?????????

NO, THEY GOT CONTRACT UPGRADES

Oh and we heard what happened at Coffs.

Yes he was drinking alcohol and its not breaking the law, but its how he acts towards innocent civillians when intoxicated is the problem. Didnt the eels state they would sack him if he broke his 12 month hiatus?

The dogs didnt promise to sack any of the aformentioned players if the stepped over the line again although Reni is on his last chance.

What exactly happened at Coffs? Oh a woman with questionable past crying rape. So are you questioning the police in the verdict? The only thing the police did wrong was dragging it on for weeks on end when a verdict should have been handed out the first couple of days.

So again exactly what do you mean by what happened at coffs? :cool:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the smartest move was by Timmy himself

he may have saved his career by being proactive rather than reactive

badav

Bench
Mateship of players?? Wasn't he out pissing it up with his team mates who would've have known full well he was on a booze ban.

They must be great mates.

Latest posts