What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington in shock plan to join Super League

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Was the posted on April 1st by any chance?

Out of left field isn't the word. I can see my clan trying to organise away travel to there. We managed to get to the Les Catalan game despite no one wanting to drive, but Wellington could be a tad trickier for the VW camper.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Stuff that traveling 24 hours in a plane every second week...

Sounds like a good idea but they should try to get in the NRL again first...

Quidgybo

Bench
Firstly, I'm still not convined it's not an April Fools gag, but beyond that there is some merit to the idea but not as a long term endeavour.

Y2Eel said:
Stuff that traveling 24 hours in a plane every second week...
I'd guess it wouldn't be back and forth every second week. More likely, three consecutive weekends away (staying on in an English base), and three consecutive home games with only the visiting teams having to fly in and fly out in the space of a few days. Of course cost would be the single biggest risk. Not so much the air travel, which by staying three weeks per away trip will minimise flights, but more the accommodation. It's one thing flying a team to away games and putting them up in a hotel for one or two nights, but twenty or twenty one nights is going to add up real fast.

Sounds like a good idea but they should try to get in the NRL again first...
I think this is almost certainly being looked at as a short term stepping stone. A way to prove to the NRL that they can build and fund a stable club and put a decent team on the field at that level - similar in concept to the Reds playing in the Jim Beam Cup or the Lions in the Premier League but more emphatic (and ambitious). If successful they could enter the SL in 2009, play three seasons and then move to the NRL in 2013 with the commencement of the next TV deal. This would also give the SL some breathing room in their expansion to 14 teams. Accept Toulouse and Wellington for 2009, giving another expansion team like Celtic three more seasons to develop before moving up in 2013.

Exciting stuff but still sounds a bit pie in the sky.

Leigh.

Razor

Coach
The NRL should have 18 teams, playing each team once for 17 rounds.

As soon as possible the NRL must accept Perth and Wellington into the competition.

bartman

Immortal
Is this serious?

Some good points Leigh, but surely this is more of a stunt idea by the Wellington consortium to try and make sure they are next on the NRL list ahead of others, and push the issue a bit?

Not many players who'd sign up to more than one year of three weeks on, three weeks off away from family or having to foot the rental bill or expenses for a house they never use.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Could be good, could be bad.

Lets hope it is used as a stepping stone to the NRL eventually.

Might actually be good for English RL in a way, they could put all the Kiwi's in one team and let the English teams fill their sides with English players. ;-)

Quidgybo

Bench
Razor said:
The NRL should have 18 teams, playing each team once for 17 rounds.
The game can't afford to lose the income of a cut to 22 rounds, let alone 17. Well not if we're to maintain a $4m salary cap. Television will get fewer matches, clubs will get fewer gates each season, and sponsors will get fewer opportunities for exposure. All that adds up to less money in the bank but you can bet the players aren't about to take a 1/3 pay cut.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
bartman said:
Some good points Leigh, but surely this is more of a stunt idea by the Wellington consortium to try and make sure they are next on the NRL list ahead of others, and push the issue a bit?
The battle for hearts and minds at Fox Studios? Yeah, I could see that. Certainly a lot of the Gold Coast bid's success was based on profile. Wellington were never really in the running on that count.

Not many players who'd sign up to more than one year of three weeks on, three weeks off away from family or having to foot the rental bill or expenses for a house they never use.
Yes and no. There's still a sizable number of expat Kiwis playing in England that might find the idea of being closer to friends and family attractive while still being able to play in the Super League economy.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
novacastrian_panther said:
what the hell? Teams would not travel from London > Wellington every second week.
Perhaps not. But would they travel from London to Wellington once per *year*? That's the real question. Other than that one away trip for each European based team, the rest of the travel equation is really only the concern of the Wellington franchise. If they're cool with it and can provide the necessary guarantees that they can fund it without going broke mid season, what's the problem?

Leigh.

what the hell? Teams would not travel from London > Wellington every second week.

would be only once a year and i would assume if they made the playoffs that the wellington team would play away games!

Quidgybo

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
i would assume if they made the playoffs that the wellington team would play away games!
Almost certainly. Flying back and forth week to week would be untenable for all concerned. A finals campaign would just be another away block for the Orcas.

Leigh.

brendothejet

First Grade
IF the ORcas won the right to a home final play them at Loftus Rd.

The kiwis and aussies showed their willingness to go out there at tRI nations

Copa

Bench
They'd probably play 3 or 4 away games in a row... which means they don't have to keep flying back and forth bewtenn the UK and NZ.

screeny

Bench
Fascinating stuff, and from the reports I've read I agree with Watson and Endacott: it's refreshing having some people thinking outside the box, no matter how unfathomable the idea appears to be.

I say appears as perhaps this idea is just way ahead of its time and the way club sports are destined to go? It's certainly beyond my visionary powers.

I would say that SL expansion depends on the member clubs' votes, doesn't it, and not the lower division clubs (not sure, can anyone clarify?). If that is the case then I don't see why they'd all discount Wellington in favour of one of the more traditional clubs.

But, France is more of a concern, and if this Belgian billionaire has such a strong relationship with NZ wouldn't it be more viable to go deep into the labyrinthine NZRL command bunker and not come out until some revolutionary plan had been concocted to greatly professionalise NZ RL to the benefit of the entire game?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Is this being treated as a serious suggestion? I thought it was a joke.

Les Catalans are only just sustainable playing from France, there's no way a New Zealand team in Super League will ever see the light of day.

Latest posts