What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wentworthville Magpies NSW State cup champions 08 official thread.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MEDIA RELEASE as at 27/11/07:

HISTORY MADE AS WENTY MAGPIES ENTER THE PREMIER LEAGUE
parra_eels_wenty_jersey.jpg

Eels Coach Michael Hagan, Eels Chairman Alan Overton, Premier League Coach Rip Taylor, Eels Captain & Wenty Junior Nathan Cayless & Wenty Magpies Secretary Adam Cromack holding the Wenty Magpies jersey at the joint venture announcement.
Wenty Leagues Club has announced that the Wentworthville District Rugby League Football Club (WDRLFC) has entered into a joint venture with the Parramatta Eels to be part of the NSW Rugby League Premier League competition in 2008.​
The WDRLFC will continue playing under the Wenty Magpies banner, with all home games being played at Ringrose Park.
WDRLFC_eelstraining01.jpg
WDRLFC_eelstraining02.jpg

The Eels in pre-season training at Ringrose Park led by Captain & Wenty Junior Nathan Cayless.
WDRLFC_eelstraining03.jpg
Wenty Leagues President Trevor Oldfield AM said,” We are excited about the opportunity to field a rugby league side at this level. This is not only great for the good name of Wenty Leagues, but an opportunity to open doors for up and coming stars who strive to play at the highest level possible.
“Sport plays a valuable part in the local community, and at Wenty Leagues we are dedicated to providing long term support to our sporting teams to help them in all that they do.”
Wenty Magpies secretary, Adam Cromack said this exciting step into the Premier League has secured the future of rugby league at Wentworthville, with all our players now having the chance to be part of an international club playing teams such as Auckland.
“This move into the Premier League has been a long time coming and is well deserved, considering the exceptional talent that has come from Wentworthville. It provides a direct path for all our junior players and staff looking to further their careers with an NRL Club.”
WDRLFC_eelstraining04.jpg
“Wenty Magpies will also play in Jim Beam Cup with both teams making their 2008 home game debut against Windsor on Sunday, 24 February at Ringrose Park. These games will be followed by a match in the new NRL Toyota Cup, under 20 competition featuring Parramatta v Penrith”.
“Everyone at the Wenty Magpies would like to thank these supporters from previous years and hope they join us on our existing journey into the Premier League in 2008” Mr Cromack continued.
The Wenty Magpies Premier League team will be coached by the 2007 Premiership winning coach from Parramatta, Rip Taylor.

http://www.wentyleagues.com.au/Pages/WDRLFC.asp

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I thought it might be a good idea to use this thread for discussion and news about a newly formed Premier League team.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
sort of, but its not a very good view unless its been renovated

I used to be a member of Wenty about a million years ago, that was my local watering hole

strider

Post Whore
I took a sh*t-hot slips catch fielding at 2nd slip at Ringrose Park back in the day :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I fielded at fist slip and made heaps of runs there as well

god I'm a legend

hybrideel

Bench
I thought Cayless was a Marist Junior. I've played at ringrose heaps of times and i'm not a big fan. The spongy stuff that they covered the cricket pitch with was a bitch to run on.

Parra Guru

Coach
For those interested, Ringrose is now exclusively used by Wentworthville Rugby League club. The cricket pitch has been taken out for good. There was a debate that one season would win over the other, and I'm gathering that the Eels decision to link with Wenty was too much for the Cricket club to compete with.

They are still allowing the grounds to be used for athletics carnivals etc, but cricket is definately no longer played there, so we should see the gorgeous ground of a few years ago return. I heard a rumour that the groundsman got the arse too.

Parra Guru

Coach
And this also means that our National Vigoro Titles can't be held there anymore, cause we need both grounds to have a pitch. Had some of my best digs up on Monty Bennett too.

Parra Guru

Coach
24 Feb, mark it in your diaries!! Looking forward to watching the boys go round there.

Wenty Magpies will also play in Jim Beam Cup with both teams making their 2008 home game debut against Windsor on Sunday, 24 February at Ringrose Park. These games will be followed by a match in the new NRL Toyota Cup, under 20 competition featuring Parramatta v Penrith

bartman

Immortal
So just for the slow learners here (me):

Parramatta Eels - NRL First Grade
Parramatta Eels - National U20s Toyota Cup
Parramatta Eels - Flegg, Ball and Matthews teams?
Wenty Magpies - NSWRL VB Premier League (but still includes Auckland/NZ?)
Wenty Magpies - NSWRL Jim Beam Cup

Is that right?

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
So just for the slow learners here (me):

Parramatta Eels - NRL First Grade
Parramatta Eels - National U20s Toyota Cup
Parramatta Eels - Flegg, Ball and Matthews teams?
Wenty Magpies - NSWRL VB Premier League (but still includes Auckland/NZ?)
Wenty Magpies - NSWRL Jim Beam Cup

Is that right?

the NYC is a funked up version of the Jersey Flegg competition, other than that you've got it right brother, but no more Flegg.

bartman

Immortal
Cool. I knew something had to give with all these comps, just wasn't sure what...

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
Cool. I knew something had to give with all these comps, just wasn't sure what...

it would be interesting to see how the new PL comp and NYC comp work, will the more elite players under 20 play in the NYC or the Premier League which in effect is still a second tier comp to the NRL clubs.

I can't see the likes of Taulima, Kris Keating and Tony Williams getting much game time in the NYC when they're effectively too good for that grade. :?

eelavation said:
it would be interesting to see how the new PL comp and NYC comp work, will the more elite players under 20 play in the NYC or the Premier League which in effect is still a second tier comp to the NRL clubs.

I can't see the likes of Taulima, Kris Keating and Tony Williams getting much game time in the NYC when they're effectively too good for that grade. :?

Yep, it is going to be interesting to see and is the biggest problem facing the NRL in building the Toyota Cup into a competition people will want to watch IMO (clearly the NRL and Foxtel see the TC this way).

I'll be very surprised if coaches don't play their best under 20s in their State Cup / PL sides. After all, they'll need to be played regularly at the open age level to make it as regular first graders...