What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wentworthville Magpies NSW State cup champions 08 official thread.

Hellsy

Immortal
I think this NYC is gunna suck.......
Whats the bet they clash with NRL, or have them at places that are just not feasible to get to on a whole other day to NRL.
Crowd attendance is going to take a nose-dive

strider

Post Whore
but surely if every nrl team has a NYC team then just about all the games should be before the main nrl game?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
I think this NYC is gunna suck.......
Whats the bet they clash with NRL, or have them at places that are just not feasible to get to on a whole other day to NRL.
Crowd attendance is going to take a nose-dive

I'm almost certion that the NYC is a curtain raiser to the NRL..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eels look to Wenty
Brad Earl

04Dec07

WHEN he's looking for players to step up next year, Parramatta Eels coach Michael Hagan is prepared to take them from either the new Toyota Cup under-20 competition or the Wentworthville Magpies' Premier League team.

The introduction of the national youth competition has seen some clubs farm out their Premier League side, with the Eels opting for Jim Beam Cup outfit Wenty.

The joint venture, widely known for some time, was officially announced by Wenty Leagues Club last week.

As to where players would be drawn from to fill NRL vacancies, Hagan said it would depend on their stage of development, age and position.

In changing from the traditional reserve-grade set-up, one of the criticisms has been that forwards tend to take longer to break through.

Hagan himself has called for the age limit to be raised to 21 or 22, something he hopes will be considered when the new competition is reviewed.

``If you've got some very good young players - Jarryd Hayne, Krisnan Inu come to mind - who are exceptional, they're going to play first grade straight out of NYC,'' Hagan said.

``There's an opportunity for players in both teams to progress.

``I think it will be a good standard of competition and I think our players will be well looked after when they come back and play at Wentworthville.''

Parramatta captain Nathan Cayless, a former Magpies junior, has been back at Ringrose Park as part of the Eels' pre-season training and has been impressed by both the facilities and the field itself.

``Everything's in place for it to be a smoothly run operation,'' Cayless said.

``It's a good opportunity not only for guys who are signed for Parramatta to make their way up into first grade but guys who played for Wentworthville . . . you never know, there's opportunity for maybe one of those guys to step up and play some first grade.''

The transition couldn't be more seamless with Rip Taylor continuing as coach.

He was cherry-picked by Hagan for the part-time Premier League role a year ago and guided the team to its third successive premiership.

Wenty have sought to have their Premier League and Jim Beam Cup draws aligned where possible.

Both sides will play together at Ringrose for the first time on Sunday, February 24, in trial games against Windsor, who have the same arrangement with Penrith.

They will be followed by an Eels v Panthers Toyota Cup trial.

Wenty's Jim Beam Cup team will be coached by Brett Cook, who shared the role with the long-serving Ian McCann last season.

http://www.parramattaadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/12/04/1299_sports.html

eelavation said:
I'm almost certion that the NYC is a curtain raiser to the NRL..

That is correct eela,

There will be only Two games at NRL games, they will be both grades sanctioned by the NRL the NYC Toyota Cup and the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Wenty's Scheduling on the other hand is still unknown.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Magpies in deal with Eels

Joint venture: Parramatta Eels captain Nathan Cayless displays the Wentworthville Premier League strip for 2008. Picture: Natasha Paes

The Wentworthville Magpies will soar to new heights in 2008 with entry to the NSWRL's Premier League.

The Magpies formally announced a joint venture with the Parramatta Eels last week.

Eels players who are not selected for first grade and are too old to play in the national under-20s (Toyota Cup) will turn out for Wentworthville.

The team will be coached by Rip Taylor, who guided Parramatta's Premier League team to the 2007 premiership.

All home games will be played at Ringrose Park.

Wenty Leagues president Trevor Oldfield believes the partnership will provide a more direct path to the top level for local juniors.

"We are excited about the opportunity to field a rugby league side at this level," Oldfield said.

"This is not only great for the good name of Wenty Leagues, but an opportunity to open doors for up-and-coming stars, who strive to play at the highest level possible.

"Sport plays a valuable part in the local community, and at Wenty Leagues we are dedicated to providing long-term support to our sporting teams to help them in all that they do."

Parramatta captain Nathan Cayless is one of Wentworthville's finest products.

More are expected to follow in his footsteps to the NRL.

Wenty Magpies secretary Adam Cromack said the Magpies were thrilled by the prospect of confronting clubs such as Auckland.

"This move into the Premier League has been a long time coming and is well deserved, considering the exceptional talent that has come from Wentworthville," Cromack said.

"It provides a direct path for all our junior players and staff looking to further their careers with an NRL club."

Wentworthville will also field a team in the Jim Beam Cup, which suffered a blow last week with the withdrawal of reigning premiers The Entrance Tigers for 2008.

The Tigers cited the State Government's tightened poker machine tax and smoking machine laws as the reason for their demise.

However, there is still significant interest in the Jim Beam Cup with the addition of Western Australia, Campbelltown and Cronulla-Caringbah next year. Wentworthville's Jim Beam Cup and Premier League teams will make their first appearance at Ringrose Park on February 24 in trials against Windsor.

Those games will be followed by a trial between Parramatta and Penrith's Toyota Cup sides.

http://parramatta.yourguide.com.au/articles/1098875.html?src=topstories

The Engineers Room

First Grade
hybrideel said:
I thought Cayless was a Marist Junior. I've played at ringrose heaps of times and i'm not a big fan. The spongy stuff that they covered the cricket pitch with was a bitch to run on.

Nathan and Jason definately played for Wenty. I think Nathan also played for Marist and went to school there.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the following players are part of our second tier squad will more than likely represent Wentworthille.

Etu Uesele
Iwi Hauraki
James Maloney
Matt Raftery
Justin Horo
James Grehan
Jonathon Wright
Jeremy Latimore
Brod Wright
Duane Poeneki
Justin Wood.

Stagger eel

Staff member
1st Trial

24th of February @ Ringrose Park.

combined Wentworthvile PL/JBC side V Windsor
Parramatta V Penrith - Toyota cup under 20's trial.

Stagger eel

Staff member
you can also add Paul Ivan to the part time squad at Parra while Wenty will provide James Boustani and Luke Fay as part of squad...

no other names mentioned at this stage.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I got a 5 year membership with Wenty last year when they were in JBC mode. I got a phonecall from Adam Cromack (??? I think that's his name) from the club and apparently it is carrying over to their Premier League team. The person handling the memberships passed away apparently and some applications were lost in the process so if anyone applied and never heard back you should contact them. It was $12 for 5 years. This includes free entry to all home games at Ringrose Park. Great value if you ask me, considering it was $5 entry per game for JBC games. How much is it usually to enter a stand-alone Premier League match?

Stagger eel

Staff member
parrawentyfan said:
I got a 5 year membership with Wenty last year when they were in JBC mode. I got a phonecall from Adam Cromack (??? I think that's his name) from the club and apparently it is carrying over to their Premier League team. The person handling the memberships passed away apparently and some applications were lost in the process so if anyone applied and never heard back you should contact them. It was $12 for 5 years. This includes free entry to all home games at Ringrose Park. Great value if you ask me, considering it was $5 entry per game for JBC games. How much is it usually to enter a stand-alone Premier League match?

welcome to the family mate...

Parra PL virtually had no stand alone home games last year but in the past they've played at Cabramatta where the admission is free, but away games are ususally 5 to 7 bucks which is still very good value.

Mate, is there any way we can find out where we can get list of Wenty contracted players that will be playing in the NSW cup, I don't mean the Parra players, I mean the 7 or so Wenty players that will join the squad?

Nfed has provided a name of a person that I can contact but I'm now not certain whether he's the same bloke you're a talking about who paassed away.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I'm not sure how exactly you could contact them. I originally sent an email to Wenty Leagues asking about how I never received my football club membership which I had paid for. I asked if it could be forwarded on to whomever was appropriate. A week or so later I got a phonecall from the guy I mentioned, but I don't have any contact details for him. Maybe if you contact the Leagues Club they might be able to pass you on to him somehow. He was pretty helpful so maybe he could provide the player list.

Lovethegame

eelavation said:
thanks Raider..

I actually e-mailed this gentleman a week ago and have not recieved a reply as yet.

I may do it again and I'll see what sort of luck I get.

I been told that Brett Mckenna is the team manager he may be able to help

parra pete

Referee
Twizzle said:
sort of, but its not a very good view unless its been renovated

I used to be a member of Wenty about a million years ago, that was my local watering hole

I was a member also, when Arnold Vasey was Secretary/Manager - in 1969....That's about a million years ago :lol: