What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes making the news again

drake

First Grade
from http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/naiqama-on-final-warning/2006/12/18/1166290475261.html#
[quote="smh.com.au]
Naiqama on final warning

Glenn Jackson
December 19, 2006

Other related coverage
League: Dragons put bad-boy Naiqama on 'management plan'
Advertisement
AdvertisementPLAYER power saved Wes Naiqama from the sack yesterday after St George Illawarra's senior players urged the club to spare him despite the latest in a string of off-field incidents.

But it may only be a stay of execution, with Dragons chief executive Peter Doust maintaining that the winger's future with the club will be reassessed following his court appearance in February on a driving while disqualified charge.

Doust yesterday gave the strongest possible indication the club was willing to axe Naiqama after he was involved in a street fight in Kings Cross in the early hours of Sunday morning. But the club's leadership group - which includes Mark Gasnier, Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Matt Cooper, Justin Poore, new signing Simon Woolford and youngster Chris Houston - pleaded with Doust to give Naiqama another chance during a meeting in Wollongong yesterday.

The controversial player will now undertake what the club has termed a "management plan", which will involve educational programs as well as a significant rethink to his social calendar.

The club has placed Naiqama on his last warning, a point which the player is well aware of, according to his management.

The Dragons conducted an internal investigation into the altercation outside the Sapphire Suite nightspot at 5am on Sunday morning, even though police did not lay any charges. Naiqama had been at the nightclub with his girlfriend, pop singer Paulini Curuenavuli.

After speaking with the police, as well as the other male involved in the incident, the club came to the conclusion Naiqama was not at fault. However, the Dragons remain "greatly dissatisfied" with his actions given only last Tuesday he was in Waverley Court pleading guilty to a charge of driving while disqualified. Doust said the 24-year-old's "future circumstances with the club" were "definitely under review" pending his February court appearance over his driving charge.

"He gave an explanation and that was verified by the people that were present, the police and the other person involved in the incident," Doust said. "He didn't make the incident. Obviously, Wes has some personal issues in his life at the moment, which are distressing for him and us … we know it's a difficult time for him, and we want to work with him, as well as his teammates, to look after him and his welfare."

Asked whether Naiqama would have survived without the intervention of the playing group, Doust said: "Without going so far as to say that we put him under that sort of stress, we were certainly very adamant about where we stood. I think it's fair to say that the players' involvement and their interest in Wes's welfare has given us the position going forward."

After speaking with Naiqama at length, Gasnier said: "We're really concerned about his welfare. I've known Wes since he was 12, and what he's done over the past four months is completely out of character. We've come up with a bit of a strategy that we all think will work, and get Wes back on track.

"We pleaded with the club to try and get Wes up until the judicial hearing, depending on the result … and we'll do everything in our power to try and help him out as a mate."

Gasnier said his own experiences - he was was dumped from the NSW squad and fined $50,000 by the Dragons after leaving a lewd message on a woman's mobile phone during a State of Origin bonding session in 2004 - made him aware of the need to give Naiqama another shot at redemption.

"You can learn from it, and the more you stick by Wes, the more he'll repay you, and the more he's going to be a better person," Gasnier said. "We're more concerned about him as a person rather than an asset to the club."

Naiqama's manager, George Mimis, said his client was apologetic about the incident and was aware he was on his last chance.

"He's aware his actions weren't appropriate," he said. "There's only so many chances for everyone. He's not silly."

Mimis said Naiqama would be taking part in educational programs, and would be attempting to find new social outlets. "When players train all week and go out once a week it's a recipe for disaster," he said. "But he'll be finding some other avenues."

■ Castlemaine Perkins already pours money into both Brisbane and North Queensland, so it was no surprise when the third Queensland club, the Gold Coast Titans, announced yesterday it had signed the brewing giants as a sponsor. The brewers of XXXX signed a five-year deal with the new NRL franchise.
[/quote]

Personally, I'm really impressed at Gasnier and the other players. The line about being more concerned for him as a person than as an asset was a fine one.

HevyDevy

Coach
Willow said:
Sure... the media are full of angels too.

The media have a responsibilty to report the news accurately.
btw... reading that last sentence back is worth a chuckle or two.

Look, I like Wes. He's a good bloke and it's pleasing to see the club support him.

I'm merely saying that there are some people - mostly Dragons fans - whose reaction to every Wes story is "media beatup".

The fact is that he is a serial offender - albeit most relatively mild - and if he doesn't learn soon then his career WILL be ruined.

Wicks

Juniors
Willow said:
Barrett said that... a joke.

Everyone remembers what one stupid commentator says despite what his fellow commentators were indicating Now its folklore that Barrett said it

It was Brett Finch

nqboy said:
LOL at Gasnier being the responsible one.

Better than Willie Mason not owning up and helping out a friend and team mate And the coverup by the ARL when everyone can hear Masons voice on the tape

Or the woman involved only reporting the incident in order to get a promotional boost to her music career

Danish

Referee
Wicks said:
Everyone remembers what one stupid commentator says despite what his fellow commentators were indicating Now its folklore that Barrett said it

It was Brett Finch

You're saying that Brett finch defended an opposition player's actions to try and stop the ref from sending him off?

Wicks said:
Better than Willie Mason not owning up and helping out a friend and team mate And the coverup by the ARL when everyone can hear Masons voice on the tape

Or the woman involved only reporting the incident in order to get a promotional boost to her music career

No idea what you are talking about here. Mason being in the backround while Gas made the phone calls it seeems.

Regardless of either point, Wes clearly has some problems with getting himself into trouble. Some smart ass it seems was abusing him, but just about every footy player would get abused. Most of them don't retaliate by swinging.

El Diablo

Post Whore
channel 7 havent given up on this despite no charges being laid

they now have exclusive footage of the alleged assault :roll:

i wonder if its as good as their exclusive witness in the Tigers alleged rape scandal???

Mr Saab

Referee
Saw the footage. It is not bad.
Wes swings at him as the guy is backing back...looked like he connected.
They then have a little wrestle and it is broken up

El Diablo

Post Whore
yes but did 7 play the entire footage?

i wouldnt bet on it if it made the other bloke look like he started it

Mr Saab

Referee
It was taken from a mobile phone from the looks of things, and no they didnt play the entire lead up of the incident that led to the clash.
Not saying he should never go out, but nothing ever good occurs for a footballer at the cross at 5am.

El Diablo

Post Whore
looks like 7 are just trying their best to get him charged. they even had Fitzdickhead on their going on about protected sports stars lol

7 now all about protecting sports stars. they do it for AFL.

Wicks

Juniors
Danish said:
You're saying that Brett finch defended an opposition player's actions to try and stop the ref from sending him off?

No he was ridiculing him Barrett asked what happened and after he got the answer Barrett turned around and directed the other players back into defensive position

Then Finch said He doesnt know the rules He doesnt speak english

Finch then got himself sin binned less than five minutes later:p

drake

First Grade
People say a lot about sports stars going out late at night, inviting trouble by doing so.

In 2005 I was walking through Shellharbour village with my kids, and we saw Barrett walking along, probably on his way home. A bloke walks up to him and yells "You're a %^$#ing dickhead Barrett!" right in his face. The guy stands there, knowing Barrett can't do anything. I asked Barrett why he put up with it, he just said 'You get used to it" smiled at my kids and walked home.

Now whether or not you think the player is a dickhead or whatever, it's pretty sad that a guy has to "get used to" copping abuse from random clowns. I daresay that if it was an old school player, say Les Boyd, that got abuse, the person would be very sorry.

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20961093-5003409,00.html

ST GEORGE-ILLAWARRA stars Mark Gasnier and Jason Ryles have revealed they put their reputations on the line to save Wes Naiqama from being sacked.

As detectives last night reviewed footage of Naiqama's latest off-field disgrace, Gasnier and Ryles told of how they confronted Dragons boss Peter Doust in a last ditch attempt to stop their teammate from having his contract torn up. A 40-minute meeting with Naiqama, a day after he punched a man in the face outside a Kings Cross night-spot, convinced the players the 23-year-old deserved another chance.

But before agreeing to front Doust, who was set to rip up Naiqama's $200,000 contract, the players made the flyer promise not to drink or go out in the city until February 28, when he is sentenced for driving while disqualified.

"Mainly we spoke to him about staying out of the city and off the drink." said Ryles. "As far as the club was concerned, they were going to let him go. Doust told us his contract was going to be terminated. After meeting him, we thought we would try and help him one more time because we know what sort of a bloke he is."

In an emotional 40-minute meeting, Naiqama poured his heart out to team-mates and told them of his off-field problems.

"We got him in there and told him he had to make a decision on what he wants to do." Ryles said. "We told him we could help but first he had to help himself.

"One of the things we mentioned was not to be in the city with his court case coming up and he agreed. We spoke about a few other things and he agreed. It was a good 40-minute meeting and he was pretty upset. He has to sacrifice a fair bit to play footy and has to get off the drink, at least until his court case is over. He has a few personal problems off the field that he doesn't want revealed. His problems aren't a big deal and can easily be sorted out."

Mark Gasnier went with Ryles to see coach Nathan Brown before they confronted Doust to plead Naiqama's case.

"It was out of character for him and that's why we helped." he said. "We think it's better to help him then throw him to the wolves. I have known Wes since I played in the under 12s, I used to play against him. He has never once done anything like this."

Gasnier admitted his reputation, along with the other senior players, was on the line after saving Naiqama's career.

"We are willing to put it on the line because it was so out of character for him." he said. "We are pretty confident he will pull through with everything we have put in place. Their are guidelines he has to follow otherwise there will be consequences."

NRL boss David Gallop said Naiqama was skating on thin ice.

"I understand it looks very poor." he said. "Wes must know his contract is in jeopardy and we expect the Dragons to take decisive steps with him pending the conclusion of the matter. Every case have to be looked at on it's merits but i would say serial offenders are in real danger of losing their contract."

nqboy

First Grade
LOL @ Gaz being the responsible one :lol: :lol: :lol: The ultimate in Irony, Drake.

drake

First Grade
nqboy said:
LOL @ Gaz being the responsible one :lol: :lol: :lol: The ultimate in Irony, Drake.
Why?
The man has matured and learnt from his mistakes; and is trying to help a friend through a time of hardship. That's not ironic, that's comendable.

Shall we all be judged by things we did in the past?

Just because a fella got on the piss and carried on like a dickhead, he can't be responsible 2 years later?

That means about half the male adult population are unfit to be parents. I'd better call DOCS and let them know I got drunk once and acted stupid!

nqboy

First Grade
Settle Drake, I'm only half serious, half taking the piss. But yeah, I think Gasnier's got a long way to go before I'll be convinced he's not a selfish arsehole who considers himself bigger than the game.

Latest posts