What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

You have to qualify that, top tier RL content maybe, it has significant RL content at all other levels. We differ on that, it has been shown in many other sports markets that one club in a city size of Brisbane is enough to capture the cities hearts and wallets. Two clubs brings rivalry which can have its positive spin offs in generating interest. More than that and you have to question why unless the existing two clubs are operating at full capacity customer reach and adding more brings in new customers who aren't currently supporting the existing two, or cant because very game is a sell out.

Again I disagree, having new brands means you dont create the Sydney NRL situation where you have 12k people interested in actively supporting a club because of confined geography and historic brand ties, which also leads to swathes of areas "unrepresented' because there isnt a club with that suburbs name at the end of the street.

Most of the biggest and most successful clubs in Australia are not what you are advocating. Broncos, Storm, Eagles, Swans etc. The evidence would suggest you are wrong. the Broncos are by far the biggest RL club in the World. You seem to want three clubs drawing 12k rather than one drawing 36k?
Everything about the Queensland NRL clubs has a nauseating corporate feel that doesn't represent the community. It's all American-branded crap.

You'll never see me supporting the Broncos as they're a wannabe American gridiron franchise masquerading as an RL club. The old dickhead who founded them was a Denver Broncos fan.

Dolphins will be the first NRL club that truly represents the state's proud history. I really love history and tradition, so this shit matters to me.

John Williamson says in his song "A Flag of Our Own" "

" 'Cause this is Australia and that's where we're from,
We're not Yankee sidekicks or second class Poms"

We have a wonderful culture and we're just throwing it down the drain. What we're replacing it with is shit and I don't like it. Thinking about makes my blood boil. Half the reason fumbleball is taking off is because it's the last bastion of Australian culture left untouvhed. Sport is the one thing that was supposed to remain tribal and culturally relevant. Murdoch and co have managed to take that away from us, just like they've done with movies and TV.

Yes there are dumb f**ks who've embraced this shit and can be seen chomping away on a Big Mac and "Fries", getting fat and clogging their arteries up along the way and going to watch the "Broncos" at Lang Park while wearing a New York Yankeee cap, but there's plenty of us who won't get on the bandwagon. NRL clubs are now selling apparel in thr form of gridiron jerseys. It's sick.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everything about the Queensland NRL clubs has a nauseating corporate feel that doesn't represent the community. It's all American-branded crap.

You'll never see me supporting the Broncos as they're a wannabe American gridiron franchise masquerading as an RL club. The old dickhead who founded them was a Denver Broncos fan.

Dolphins will be the first NRL club that truly represents the state's proud history. I really love history and tradition, so this shit matters to me.

John Williamson says in his song "A Flag of Our Own" "

" 'Cause this is Australia and that's where we're from,
We're not Yankee sidekicks or second class Poms"

We have a wonderful culture and we're just throwing it down the drain. What we're replacing it with is shit and I don't like it. Thinking about makes my blood boil. Half the reason fumbleball is taking off is because it's the last bastion of Australian culture left untouvhed. Sport is the one thing that was supposed to remain tribal and culturally relevant. Murdoch and co have managed to take that away from us, just like they've done with movies and TV.

Yes there are dumb f**ks who've embraced this shit and can be seen chomping away on a Big Mac and "Fries", getting fat and clogging their arteries up along the way and going to watch the "Broncos" at Lang Park while wearing a New York Yankeee cap, but there's plenty of us who won't get on the bandwagon. NRL clubs are now selling apparel in thr form of gridiron jerseys. It's sick.
Again the evidence is you are in a minority. The biggest clubs are these so called corporate clubs. It appears the majority of fans are more than happy to support them. I get that there will be plenty who dont, the test of how many that is will be how many fans the Dolphins manage to attract.

Clubs will sell what fans want to buy, times change, scarves and a beanie no longer cut it with the youth lol.

If there was such a deep love for the historic grass roots then BRL games would be sold out, Sydney suburban clubs grounds would be packed to the rafters and the biggest clubs in the country would have 100 years histories, but that isnt the case largely.

How can you say that about AFl when one of their biggest clubs is exactly what you despise lol?

Again the evidence is you are in a minority. The biggest clubs are these so called corporate clubs. It appears the majority of fans are more than happy to support them. I get that there will be plenty who dont, the test of how many that is will be how many fans the Dolphins manage to attract.

Clubs will sell what fans want to buy, times change, scarves and a beanie no longer cut it with the youth lol.

If there was such a deep love for the historic grass roots then BRL games would be sold out, Sydney suburban clubs grounds would be packed to the rafters and the biggest clubs in the country would have 100 years histories, but that isnt the case largely.

How can you say that about AFl when one of their biggest clubs is exactly what you despise lol?
West Coast Eagles?

The largest species of eagle in the world is the Australian wedge-tail eagle.

Second-tier competitions don't generate crowds because people want to see the best athletes, not because people don't like the brands of the teams.

The NSWRL and NRL f**ked up by giving Queensland a bunch of brands that had no relevance to the community.

As a kid I asked my father, "What's a bronco?"

Other kids at school had no idea what a bronco was. It was dumb branding.

The worst part is kids grow up seeing their local NRL club pretending to be a gridiron club from the NFL and think Australia is second-rate. How many kids grow up wanting to play in the NBL instead of the NBA, or the A-League instead of the EPL?

By modelling itself on the NFL, kids think we're little brother trying to be big brother. We've even had NRL players fly over to America and try to be gridiron players, then come scurrying back as a shell of their former selves and given fat contracts to play poorly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Coast Eagles?

The largest species of eagle in the world is the Australian wedge-tail eagle.

Second-tier competitions don't generate crowds because people want to see the best athletes, not because people don't like the brands of the teams.

The NSWRL and NRL f**ked up by giving Queensland a bunch of brands that had no relevance to the community.

As a kid I asked my father, "What's a bronco?"

Other kids at school had no idea what a bronco was. It was dumb branding.

The worst part is kids grow up seeing their local NRL club pretending to be a gridiron club from the NFL and think Australia is second-rate. How many kids grow up wanting to play in the NBL instead of the NBA, or the A-League instead of the EPL?

By modelling itself on the NFL, kids think we're little brother trying to be big brother. We've even had NRL players fly over to America and try to be gridiron players, then come scurrying back as a shell of their former selves and given fat contracts to play poorly.
You’re using the biggest club in rugby league globally as An example of why an American brand doesnt work? Do you think the broncos would be any bigger if they were called the koalas? The reality is that new brands that have city wide appeal are usually bigger than historic small suburban brands, regardless of their relevance to the city they represent. I’ve been to NQ, can’t say I saw many cowboys lol.

You’re using the biggest club in rugby league globally as An example of why an American brand doesnt work? Do you think the broncos would be any bigger if they were called the koalas? The reality is that new brands that have city wide appeal are usually bigger than historic small suburban brands, regardless of their relevance to the city they represent. I’ve been to NQ, can’t say I saw many cowboys lol.
There was opposition to the brands of Cowboys and Broncos in their respective markets. Both clubs worked because they were in the biggest competition. I reckon they would have worked better under an historical brand. Marlins was the name of the North Queensland representative team. Brisbane were the Poinsettias.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Point still stands that being called the Broncos has not stopped them becoming the biggest rl club in the world. What would likely have done is if they had been a promoted brl club with the li tied appeal that would likely have brought. hopefully the dolphins will commit to all their games at suncorp and be the big city wide appeal club to rival them rather than a small outer Sydney suburb clone like manly or Cronulla.
Be like promoting north Beach or south perth to the nrl instead of bringing in the pirates or reds in Perth. Redcliffe are only a couple of years older than north beach.

RedVee

First Grade
I think Raiders was imposed onto the Canberra bid from an American model. Not sure about Steelers at the same time but I would not be surprised if that was also imposed.

mongoose

Coach
Never understood this argument. Are you really that fearful of the NRL dominated South Qld region being taken over by AFL with its two clubs against the historic dominance and three clubs of the NRL? Never going to happen and making decisions based on irrational fears rarely ends well.
This is Rugby League we're talking about, many of its fans, administrators, commentators are complacent and stuck in the past. It's very possible AFL will be the dominant footy code in Brisbane by 2040. The rest of QLD is a different story but if they take Brisbane then they can easily move on the rest of the state.

League's greatest strength is it's ability to develop talent and hyping that talent to the heavens every year. This seems to keep people talking about NRL. I find while AFL has grown in popularity the players really struggle to have a profile here. I know some people who bought Lions memberships recently and they seriously can't name more than 2 players in the team after attending 10 or so games.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is Rugby League we're talking about, many of its fans, administrators, commentators are complacent and stuck in the past. It's very possible AFL will be the dominant footy code in Brisbane by 2040. The rest of QLD is a different story but if they take Brisbane then they can easily move on the rest of the state.

League's greatest strength is it's ability to develop talent and hyping that talent to the heavens every year. This seems to keep people talking about NRL. I find while AFL has grown in popularity the players really struggle to have a profile here. I know some people who bought Lions memberships recently and they seriously can't name more than 2 players in the team after attending 10 or so games.
But if that happens it isnt because of top tier presence ie if the QRL are really fearful of AFL take over they need to be generating more revenue to spend at school and grass root level. That is where the battle is, not between Lions&Suns v Broncos, Dolphins and Titans.

I still say its irrational fear and the reality is AFL will carve out a % of the market because they are investing so heavily in it, but it wont ever be dominant and adding more NRl clubs to Brisbane wont make one jot of difference to it. Do you honestly think the NRL Dolphins is going to have any impact on AFL in SE Queensland? Nope.

Just like adding an NRL team in perth wont make a jot of difference to AFL in the State. But it will create a % market share of professional sport for RL in Australia.

Point still stands that being called the Broncos has not stopped them becoming the biggest rl club in the world. What would likely have done is if they had been a promoted brl club with the li tied appeal that would likely have brought. hopefully the dolphins will commit to all their games at suncorp and be the big city wide appeal club to rival them rather than a small outer Sydney suburb clone like manly or Cronulla.
Be like promoting north Beach or south perth to the nrl instead of bringing in the pirates or reds in Perth. Redcliffe are only a couple of years older than north beach.
They are a massive club. It's arguable that they should be bigger, but for RL they're the biggest.
I think Raiders was imposed onto the Canberra bid from an American model. Not sure about Steelers at the same time but I would not be surprised if that was also imposed.
Their logo featured a man wearing a gridiron helmet.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Illawarra steelers was a fantastic name imo as I’m led to believe that the Illawarra region was a huge steel producer although the original badge/logo was utterly farcical.

Illawarra steelers was a fantastic name imo as I’m led to believe that the Illawarra region was a huge steel producer although the original badge/logo was utterly farcical.
I found this on Wikipedia.

"The actual 'Steelers' name came after a competition was run to choose a name. The name was chosen by Dapto High School student Roger White, who was also a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL team in the United States. Roger responded to a competition published in the Illawarra Mercury Newspaper. "

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I found this on Wikipedia.

"The actual 'Steelers' name came after a competition was run to choose a name. The name was chosen by Dapto High School student Roger White, who was also a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL team in the United States. Roger responded to a competition published in the Illawarra Mercury Newspaper. "

It’s actually one of those rare occasions where a rugby league moniker really works.

T-Boon

Coach
Titans for sure should be renamed.
NQ should have been the Crocs.(Was that basketball team already around?)

Colk

First Grade
We need to stop naming our rugby league clubs after American gridiron "brands". PVL needs to make the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Raiders to rebrand to something that represents the culture of their geographic location.

As a Raiders fan, I think that our current moniker is better than the Politicians or the Public Servants. That is just my take, although other Raiders fans might disagree

Perth Red

Post Whore
A club name doesn’t make one jot of difference to its performance, on or off the field.

biggest clubs in australia:

west coast eagles, eagles are all over australia and the world and have no specific link to WA and are also the name of an nfl club

carlton, have no brand moniker

Broncos, nothing to do with brisbane and are an nfl club

Swans, found all over the world

Seems if you want to be big then call yourself after an nfl club or something generic lol.

Here endeth the branding lesson.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We need to stop naming our rugby league clubs after American gridiron "brands". PVL needs to make the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Raiders to rebrand to something that represents the culture of their geographic location.
It’s ironic you dont like these brands yet you’ve jumped straight on to following a new club with an nfl brand and a very generic animal lol

Latest posts