What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

dimitri

First Grade
http://www.waredsrugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=3737&oid=

WARL Board Annouces New Structure/Expansion

WARL BOARD ANNOUNCES NEW STRUCTURE/EXPANSION
At its meeting earlier this week the WARL Board confirmed a refining of its structure and the intention to expand the Board in light a future NRL bid according to WARL Chairman, Geoff Baldwin.

“Since I become Chairman of the WARL nine years ago the League has grown in numbers and we now have a substantial competition locally with more than three times the participants compared to back in 1999 – 2000, Mr Baldwin said.

“In addition to our local growth we have taken a pivotal role with the Affiliated States and have also entered a team into a home and away competition via Jim Beam (now Bundaberg Red) Cup.

“Naturally, with this significant expansion the work load has increased for everyone to the point where a complete restructure and expansion of the Board is critical to ensuring our local competition is given the focus it requires and to maximise our opportunities to re-enter a team in the NRL.

“In regards to an NRL bid it is imperative that we establish a dedicated and active steering committee for the purposes of strategic planning, fund raising, sponsorship coordination, events management and corporate/government liaison.

“In other words we need a committee of business people who fit the following criteria:

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Passionate about Rugby League <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Experienced with Rugby League at a higher level <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Well connected in the local business community <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Successful businesspeople who are willing to commit funding or to assist in raising funding and sponsorship.
  • Willing to work hard and long to ensure our chances of success are optimised at every step of the way.
“We have already begun assembling this committee and expect it to be up and running within the next couple of weeks.

“For me to continue in the role of Chairman of the WARL as well as focus on the ongoing viability of the Reds and an NRL bid there has needed to be some adjustment to the roles and responsibilities across the Board as well as an expansion of the Board.

“Our current WARL Directors have done a terrific job to this point but it is unreasonable to expect them to now take on even more work as we move towards an NRL franchise in the future.

“Having stated that, I am grateful to Mike Coleman who has committed to overseeing the role of Director – WARL Local Competition which will enable me to continue in the Chairman’s role knowing that our local game is in good hands.

“As we have stated from the start, anything we undertake must never threaten the local competition and must be approached with a focus on the expansion and strengthening of our game in Western Australia.

“With that in mind the Reds / NRL Steering Committee will report to the WARL Board at every step of the way and two members of the new committee will be invited onto the Board to ensure that connection and synergy.

“I consider this to be a turning point for Rugby League in Western Australia and I compel you to understand that it will not just happen without your support along the way.

“This is especially the case with support of the WA Reds right now in the Bundaberg Cup Competition.

“From that point of view we are well and truly under the microscope and any chance we have of succeeding with an NRL bid is dependent on attendances and support of the current Reds team.

“Pretty soon you will see our plan for the WA NRL bid unfold but meanwhile, it is important that you continue to support our local competition and it is critical you come along to our WA Reds games or better still, become a member today.

“We can work at a Board or Committee level as hard as we like but we need the grass roots support of local Rugby League fans right now for the WA Reds if we are to be taken seriously in our bid to establish a WA team back into the NRL”. Mr Baldwin said.
WARL%20Board%20flowchart.jpg

IanG

Coach
Speaking of Rugby League in WA how many plyers in the comps there are born and raised sandgroapers? I know a few have made it into the NRL eg Corey Patterson and also don't teh Goodwin brothers have a link to WA?

The Tank

Bench
Holdsworth came from there but I think he may have moved from the east coast to WA and back again (could be wrong of course)

Brutus

Referee
Force facing extinction: report

April 24, 2009 - 12:03PM

Australia's newest Super 14 franchise, the Western Force, is at risk of folding according to a report in today's West Australian.
The newspaper says that an independent report compiled by LEK Consulting shows the Force are on track to lose $2.8 million dollars this year. The loss is on the back of the failed sponsorship from to the Firepower scandal and crowds staying away from Subiaco Oval as it is unsuitable for watching rugby. Membership with the Force has nearly halved since 2006 while the average home crowd attendance over the same period of time has plummeted by nearly 10,000.
The Force will play at Members Equity Stadium next year and the report obtained by the West Australian says that the move will help ease the final hemorrhaging. However, the problem will not be fixed with franchise's bottom line unless the West Australian government spends $73 million it promised in 2004 to upgrade the facility and increase the capacity from 18,000 to 25,000.
ARU chief John O'Neill has urged the WA Government to honour the deal.
"If you look around Australia, the successful franchises in rugby union, rugby league and soccer have dedicated, purpose-built stadiums," he told the West Australian.
"I'd be greatly comforted if the WA Government would deliver that outcome for the Force. The ARU's commitment to Perth is unambiguous. It was the correct decision to give Perth a team, and they have shown the potential of rugby in WA. Any suggestion we would willingly move the team from Perth to Melbourne is ludicrous. However, we've got to get the Force back in the black as soon as possible. The ARU is not a lender of last resort."
smh.com.au

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/force-facing-extinction-report/2009/04/24/1240079842723.html

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Good stuff. Imo the Reds are the most convincing case for the 17th side in the NRL, and likely to bring the most return in the long run.

Brutus

Referee
The Reds are also great for an extra timeshot.

They play at 4pm Sunday in Perth and we get a twilight 6pm game on the eastern seaboard.

Perfect.

t-ba

Post Whore
Two teams will be worth more than one. An 18 team comp means an extra game a week to sell to TV.

dimitri

First Grade
Speaking of Rugby League in WA how many plyers in the comps there are born and raised sandgroapers? I know a few have made it into the NRL eg Corey Patterson and also don't teh Goodwin brothers have a link to WA?

I think there are more than people realise:

Daniel Holdsworth
Goodwin Brothers
Justin Poore
Corey Patterson
Lee Ta Maari
to name a few

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The Nrl don't want weekly byes so it'll either be a 16 or 18 team comp.

Reds get the thumbs up hopefully. CC I'm not overly keen on unless it's in place of another NSW team. At this stage though, those two look to be the early frontrunners.

RUBIKS

Juniors
In my mind The Reds have got to be first pick for the next team entered. As for the 18th team if entered (as two entries would be preferable) I would be tossing up between a second NZ team or another QLD team, however I'm not sure where a team from either location is situated bid wise?

dimitri

First Grade
In my mind The Reds have got to be first pick for the next team entered. As for the 18th team if entered (as two entries would be preferable) I would be tossing up between a second NZ team or another QLD team, however I'm not sure where a team from either location is situated bid wise?

Im sure the Wellington/Southern Orcas bid will pop up again this time

hutch

First Grade
Im sure the Wellington/Southern Orcas bid will pop up again this time

i hope so! strategically, wa reds and southern nz are the most important 'expansion' areas, but i only expect one of these to get in next time, but they will be both in one day soon!

Lambretta

First Grade
Can you imagine 7.30pm kick offs in WA if they decide not to continue with daylight saving?

10.30pm kick offs for us lot.

Our wives will divorce us. Either that or there'll be a load of pissed New South Welshmen asleep on sofas.

:roll:

Flapper

First Grade
I hope this gets up and running. As an ex-resident of WA I know there's a strong league community there who'll get behind this big time, which will only drag other parochial locals in as well, keen to show "the Eastern States" how it's done.

Latest posts