What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Bears

The Preacher

First Grade
***MH*** said:
If Paul and the apostles had not spread the Word around the world, Christianity would only exist in Rome and the Middle East.

You stick to the rules and regulations, whistle boy, and leave the religous stuff to Messiah, Immortal and myself.
Bloody referees !!!

MayMoo

Juniors
Perth Red said:
How long will the Bears wait for a CC move though? No signs that it will ever happen.

Good point, however a team on the Central Coast I reckon is more likely than a team in WA. So why wouldn't the Bears still have their hat in the ring for this. Who will relocate there relistically ???

Melbourne would be the most likely to move there and that is highly unlikely. Even then they would not take the Storm name with them so that still would leave the Bears in the box seat.

I guess the day that the Bears would give up on the Central Coast would be when someone else goes there and as been pointed out that is highly unlikely.

They went broke building the damn thing (stadium); They are not about to consider other options when this one is still viable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If there was support from the NRL and a deal with the WARL could be worked out would you be in favour or still hang out for a possible move to the CC?

Would advantages would the CC hold for the Bears organisation over a Bears team playing their home games in WA?

Danger

Juniors
i reckon central coast storm would't be outta place, after watching footy show last thurs i dont think melbourne deserve a team, no one there new anything about origin!!!

MayMoo

Juniors
Perth Red said:
If there was support from the NRL and a deal with the WARL could be worked out would you be in favour or still hang out for a possible move to the CC?

Would advantages would the CC hold for the Bears organisation over a Bears team playing their home games in WA?

Basically the Central Coast is an adjoining part of where the Norths territory ends so it makes complete sense.

So the main advantages would be that a large part of Sydney gets it's League identity back as well as the Central Coast gets the team.

This would also help League in general which has pretty much handed this large part of Sydney over to AFL / Rugby / Soccer.

Someone called David Gallop once said of the CC Bears:

"It would heal the last wound by bringing back the only foundation club which completely missed out in the rationalisation process,"

"It would also reconnect the code with the affluent north shore."

Knightmare

Coach
Is there some secret blueprint I'm not aware of that says "No more teams in NSW"? because if there is, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of! Can you imagine the NRL board entering a discussion RE expansion?

(Member of expansion team): "There's a really great area I know that's crying out for a League team of their own. They've got the biggest Junior Area not currently represented by an NRL side, they've got a modern stadium perfect for league just waiting to be used and a number of proven financial backers- I say we give them a team!"

(David Gallop): "That sounds great! Where abouts is this area?"

(Expansion team member): "It's the Central Coast."

(David Gallop): "Oh, that's in New South Wales, f**K that off. Do you know if Hobart's interested?"

joondalup_giant

Staff member
MayMoo said:
Good point, however a team on the Central Coast I reckon is more likely than a team in WA. So why wouldn't the Bears still have their hat in the ring for this. Who will relocate there relistically ???

Melbourne would be the most likely to move there and that is highly unlikely. Even then they would not take the Storm name with them so that still would leave the Bears in the box seat.

relocatin the melbourne storm would be a HUGE backwards step for the development of the game, it'd be just as bad a move as takin the Reds out in the 1st place.

relocating a sydney franchise makes more sense whether its the bears or the jets i dont care all i want is NRL IN PERTH!

magpie_man

Juniors
MayMoo said:
Basically the Central Coast is an adjoining part of where the Norths territory ends so it makes complete sense.

So the main advantages would be that a large part of Sydney gets it's League identity back as well as the Central Coast gets the team.

This would also help League in general which has pretty much handed this large part of Sydney over to AFL / Rugby / Soccer.

Someone called David Gallop once said of the CC Bears:

"It would heal the last wound by bringing back the only foundation club which completely missed out in the rationalisation process,"

"It would also reconnect the code with the affluent north shore."
so true.
the problem is, the nrl just won't budge on their obsession with an existing team relocating there.
on the upside of moving the bears and jets interstate, imagine this as a season opener:

Perth Bears v Adelaide Jets - Members Equity Stadium, Perth
Wests Tigers v Penrith Panthers - Telstra Stadium, Sydney
Canterbury Bulldogs v Parramatta Eels - Telstra Stadium, Sydney
Brisbane Broncos v North Qld Cowboys - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Redcliffe Dolphins v Gold Coast Titans - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Newcastle Knights v Central Coast Rabbitohs/Roosters - Energy Australia Stadium, Newcastle
St George Illawarra Dragons v Cronulla Sharks - WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Melbourne Storm v Sydney Rabbitohs/Roosters - Telstra Dome, Melbourne
Canberra Raiders v Manly Sea Eagles - Canberra Stadium, Canberra
New Zealand Warriors v Southern Orcas - Eden Park (?), Auckland

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
We should be looking at darwin.. it would probably take 10 years for them to be competitive but they would become a team similar to the cowboys. Sure there is a population of only 100000 people up there.. but there isn't really anything else to do footy would become the major weekend event up there. Townsville with about 130000 doesn't have that much larger population in comparison and while im sure some people travel down from cairns I think somewhere like darwin would offer a better long term option than perth who already have 3 national sports teams running around.

Woods99

Juniors
Tap Twist Snap said:
We should be looking at darwin.. it would probably take 10 years for them to be competitive but they would become a team similar to the cowboys. Sure there is a population of only 100000 people up there.. but there isn't really anything else to do footy would become the major weekend event up there. Townsville with about 130000 doesn't have that much larger population in comparison and while im sure some people travel down from cairns I think somewhere like darwin would offer a better long term option than perth who already have 3 national sports teams running around.

The Cowboys were bailed out by News Corp. Would they be prepared to own and subsidise a franchise in Darwin, which would probably cost more, and earn less?

I doubt it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No corporate money in NT. None in NQ either hence News Ltd paying the bills.

Would imagine Gallop is coming from the point of view of what will attract better TV deals and major sponsors re another team in NSW. CC doesn't look very exciting compared to the possibility of a truly National competition.

MayMoo

Juniors
Perth Red said:
CC doesn't look very exciting compared to the possibility of a truly National competition.

There will probably be a team in Perth one day when it is viable.

Why though, should it be at the expense of an established traditional area and an adjoining growth and established area that is not represented - Just so we can say - Wow Look Man!!! Now it's an NRL !!!

Forget about financial viability etc cause the Central Coast would win on that hands down as well.

I feel the frustration that you have, Only from the other side of the fence.

Woods99

Juniors
MayMoo said:

Why though, should it be at the expense of an established traditional area and an adjoining growth and established area that is not represented - Just so we can say - Wow Look Man!!! Now it's an NRL !!!

Forget about financial viability etc cause the Central Coast would win on that hands down as well.

Why would a franchise be viable in Perth? The franchises in Melbourne and Townsville are only viable because News Corp owns them, and even Brisbane struggles to make a profit.

According to David Gallup, NRL clubs without poker machine money from leagues clubs are struggling, and the poker machine tax in NSW will affect even those who are affiliated with leagues clubs.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody pays. The question is for new franchises, who will pay?

MayMoo said:

Perth would see an extra amount of millions added to the next TV deal alone. Then over time it'd be a success on it's own anyway.

Frailty

First Grade
Why is this still being discussed next team in 2010, so there is still 4 years of arguing to go!

Brutus

Referee
Woods99 said:
Why would a franchise be viable in Perth? The franchises in Melbourne and Townsville are only viable because News Corp owns them, and even Brisbane struggles to make a profit.

?

Of course there could be a franchise in Perth just like there was back in 1995 before News Corp came in and ruined it all.

The Cowboys were also fine until the SL year. I think you'll find they could operate now without the News assistance. Brisbane has never struggled to make a profit. Nice play on words goose.

Brutus

Referee
The Norths Bears got a crowd of 300 to their game against the Dogs at the weekend with Scott Hill playing Maitua.

Don't Norths fans get out and support the side anymore?

Woods99

Juniors
Brutus said:
Of course there could be a franchise in Perth just like there was back in 1995 before News Corp came in and ruined it all.

The Cowboys were also fine until the SL year. I think you'll find they could operate now without the News assistance. Brisbane has never struggled to make a profit. Nice play on words goose.

So the Broncos make a profit but just don't pay a dividend? Strange.

I think you would find that neither the Cowboys nor the Storm could operate except under the News umbrella.

Why would Perth be any different? It is the year 2006, not 1995. The Super Rugby franchise in Perth has 20,000 members, and an average attendance this season of 28,000. How would a league franchise survive? Who would pay for it? You?

t-ba

Post Whore
Brutus said:
The Norths Bears got a crowd of 300 to their game against the Dogs at the weekend with Scott Hill playing Maitua.

Don't Norths fans get out and support the side anymore?

The Lower North Shore is pretty much lost to Union and AFL these days to be entirely honest. If you looked in the Wardrobe of most Swans and Waratahs fans from places like Willoughby and Mosman, you'd probably find an old Citibank Bears Jersey there. As for the Middle North Shore, the club never drew much support from the area and the Hornsby Shire & Hills District are still relatively new areas were most RL fans kept allegiance to thier old clubs.

It pains me to say it, as someone who has recieved plenty of sh*t from his fellow Manly fans over my support for the CC bears, that it is time for the Bears to look elsewhere. The Football club has been pretty much abandoned by the Leagues club, The Juniors are being run by Asquith and the NRL is insanely hostile to thier bid for a CC franchise. Western Australia could just be it.

Woods: STFU. Check out next years balance sheets, when we've shiny new TV money.

MayMoo

Juniors
t-ba said:
The Lower North Shore is pretty much lost to Union and AFL these days to be entirely honest. If you looked in the Wardrobe of most Swans and Waratahs fans from places like Willoughby and Mosman, you'd probably find an old Citibank Bears Jersey there. As for the Middle North Shore, the club never drew much support from the area and the Hornsby Shire & Hills District are still relatively new areas were most RL fans kept allegiance to thier old clubs.

It pains me to say it, as someone who has recieved plenty of sh*t from his fellow Manly fans over my support for the CC bears, that it is time for the Bears to look elsewhere. The Football club has been pretty much abandoned by the Leagues club, The Juniors are being run by Asquith and the NRL is insanely hostile to thier bid for a CC franchise. Western Australia could just be it.

Woods: STFU. Check out next years balance sheets, when we've shiny new TV money.

Well the Leagues Club has increased the funding significantly this year & they have stated their support for the Football Clubs future intentions re Central Coast as far as I know.

The Football Club still has a 20% stake in the stadium too.

And why abandon when who else is gonna go there - really ???

But yes you are dead right about the insane hostility of the NRL to the bid.

Last time it was the poker machine tax. They're probably thinking about next times (if there is one) excuses now.

I have a lot of Manly fans as mates; it's hard not too when you live there and they have always been mainly supportive - even joining the footy club and coming to games etc.