What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Bears

mightybears

Bench
t-ba said:
The Lower North Shore is pretty much lost to Union and AFL these days to be entirely honest. If you looked in the Wardrobe of most Swans and Waratahs fans from places like Willoughby and Mosman, you'd probably find an old Citibank Bears Jersey there. As for the Middle North Shore, the club never drew much support from the area and the Hornsby Shire & Hills District are still relatively new areas were most RL fans kept allegiance to thier old clubs.

It pains me to say it, as someone who has recieved plenty of sh*t from his fellow Manly fans over my support for the CC bears, that it is time for the Bears to look elsewhere. The Football club has been pretty much abandoned by the Leagues club, The Juniors are being run by Asquith and the NRL is insanely hostile to thier bid for a CC franchise. Western Australia could just be it..

the bridges between the footy and leagues club are seemingly being mended
[slow process, but as maymoo says the grant is going in the right direction]
the leagues club and football club have had a cosy little chat with the nrl re the CC Bears [when expansion comes up, we'll be there re CC]

and since the football club leadership change, we are no longer having a spray at the nrl, its now operation "suck up to news re storm, head down brown nose"

we still own 20% of singo castle

realistically, until someone else is permanently in gosford.......
it will continue to be our NRL aim

mightybears

Bench
Woods99 said:
So the Broncos make a profit but just don't pay a dividend? Strange.

I think you would find that neither the Cowboys nor the Storm could operate except under the News umbrella.

Why would Perth be any different? It is the year 2006, not 1995. The Super Rugby franchise in Perth has 20,000 members, and an average attendance this season of 28,000. How would a league franchise survive? Who would pay for it? You?

the cowboys probably could, the storm are no chance
any team outside league areas [WA, SA, VIC NT] etc should have nrl read news support anyway

Brutus

Referee
Woods99 said:
So the Broncos make a profit but just don't pay a dividend? Strange.

I think you would find that neither the Cowboys nor the Storm could operate except under the News umbrella.

Why would Perth be any different? It is the year 2006, not 1995. The Super Rugby franchise in Perth has 20,000 members, and an average attendance this season of 28,000. How would a league franchise survive? Who would pay for it? You?

Guess what? The Force are gone by late May.

There is room in Perth for a rugby league team. Perth people need top line rugby for an entire season.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Brutus said:

There is room in Perth for a rugby league team. Perth people need top line rugby for an entire season.

Top post Brutus. People here need top line rugby full stop as the Farce certainly are not doing it.

Woods99

Juniors
Brutus said:

Early days for top rugby in Perth. In a couple of years there will be a national competition.

After the Super Rugby competition we have a full international season, which I am sure rugby fans in the West will watch with great interest.

In the meantime, 6 or 7 games of top rugby is not a bad start for real rugby fans, of whom there are a lot in Perth. Which is why the Force has got 20,000 members, and an average attendance of 28,000.

Remind me. How many members did the Western Reds have? Did they ever draw 28,000 to a game?

Big-Steve

Juniors
Brutus said:
The Norths Bears got a crowd of 300 to their game against the Dogs at the weekend with Scott Hill playing Maitua.

Don't Norths fans get out and support the side anymore?
Yeah I was personnelly disappointed by the crowd that day.

Especially considering the crowd at NSO v manly was 1500! just 3 weeks prior with only Walker, Feeney and Bartlett from the Storm!

There's a lot to be said about promotion. We promoted the Manly match a far bit (even had some radio grabs) but relied on the stories in the press re Scott Hill to promote the Bulldogs match.

Seems to indicate people are just as interested in seeing the Bears than the Storm players. As long as they are aware Norths are playing.