What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Suburbs Magpies news and discussion

girvie

Staff member
What does everyone think would be the full strength line-up for Premier League this year?

Where do you think they will finish?

How do you think the other grades will go?

Who will be the key players in each side?

Here is a possible Premier League line up.

Tell me your thoughts.

Western Suburbs Magpies:
1. Samuel Aiga
2. Makisini Richter
3. Ben Yelavich
4. Franco Kmet
5. Adam Luchetti
6. Steven Hales
7. Brett Oliver
8. Chris Paterson
9. Samuel Hoare
10. Pat Galea
11. Ryan Powell
12. David Gower
13. Isaac De Gois

14. Mark Deonck
15. Tim Tobin
16. Grant Boyd
17. Nathan Waters

18. Brad Soper
19. Jason Dorahy
20. Netani Suka
21. Kurt Fittler
22. Scott Russell

Angel Bear

Juniors
This is a great idea Girvie, for those of us that follow PL. But where do you get all of this info? I myself follow the Maggies and the Bears.

brook

First Grade
I'd like to see Franco get a run in the back row (he's a lot stronger at lock or second row than he is in the centres) but I don't really know most of the players he's up against so its hard to judge if its likely to happen or not.

De Gois to hooker and Kmet to lock may work very well if the other hooker turns out to be not so good.

yappy

Bench
Le Breton returned to the Jets I think - not with us. Generally I'd be surprised if the final side looked much like that at all. But I couldn't really give you a closer idea yet either. Boyd seems to be heading in the right direction.

It'll take a few trials to get a good handle on how Dorahy is thinking.

oh BTW Brook you're biggest nightmare has come true.

brook

First Grade
yappy said:
Le Breton returned to the Jets I think - not with us. Generally I'd be surprised if the final side looked much like that at all. But I couldn't really give you a closer idea yet either. Boyd seems to be heading in the right direction.

It'll take a few trials to get a good handle on how Dorahy is thinking.

oh BTW Brook you're biggest nightmare has come true.

you're not kidding - theres likely to be more players I care about in the magpies squad than there is in the balmain PL team!!

I think I'll be throwing everything into Flegg and the junior reps this year

Meanwhile you just make sure you guys look after Franco! I think you'll like Tobin too, he's not as skilled as a lot of players but he puts everything in and runs hard (plus everyone loves a red head :p )

girvie

Staff member
yappy said:
Thanks i have updated my side and omitted Le Breton. I'm not really sure who can play fullback.

Have a stab at selecting a side yappy.

yappy

Bench
Gallant or Aiga are probably in the front line for fullback, maybe one other. Crockett should be with us too from what I've seen, other than that I couldn't even hazard a guess. When I know a bit more maybe.

girvie

Staff member
Angel Bear said:
Don't be surprised if you see Brad Soper at 6.
He might but Steven Hales is a pretty good player. When he was playing for the Bears he came second to Mark Gasnier for Player of the Competition one year in Junior Reps.

yappy said:
Gallant or Aiga are probably in the front line for fullback, maybe one other. Crockett should be with us too from what I've seen, other than that I couldn't even hazard a guess. When I know a bit more maybe.
I hadn't heard Crockett was back at the Magpies. It is the smart thing for him because Balmain had a lot of outside backs.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Lets hope that Balmain/Magpies keep to their word and assist in trying to get Franco to find consistancy by leaving him in the 1 position and not play him 1 week at center, the next at 5/8th, then at lock, then in the backrow, then at 5/8th, then at lock, then at center and well you get the gist

He does have the potential i think to play NRL but to avoid being one of those many players never to live up to his potential him joining the Magpies was in his and the Wests Tigers best interest

Gentel told me that "Franco could be back at Balmain by mid season if he is able to gain the consitancy they (coaching staff = Sheens, Royce and Gentel) are looking for"

Mighty Tiger

Bench
girvie said:
I hadn't heard Crockett was back at the Magpies. It is the smart thing for him because Balmain had a lot of outside backs.

he is listed on the BRET payroll apperantly, who knows there always appears to be a player or 2 that switch amongst teams during the season he might be one of those

Angel Bear

Juniors
Maggies PL are playing Charlestown this weekend. Is this an A Grade Team. After what I saw against Parra and Cabra last week, if they can't have a big win, I fear it going to be a long season.

Angel Bear

Juniors
From the Maggies website. The Pl have not had a good trial against an A grade side at Charlestown. Ending 5 tries each. Don't know what their problem is, maybe just poor selection of players.

2 True Blues

Coach
yappy said:

Andrew Le BRETON was already with Jets last season and was injured early in the comp ( game three I think ) against Eels. Then was out for the season. Have been trying to findout if he is playing with us this season as is a gutsy player who has always played well for the Jets in the last few seasons.

Balmain Bug

Juniors
Magpies 2006 Premier League Squad Announced Written by John Dorahy Tuesday, 28 February 2006 After an exhausting several months of open trials, training and official trials I am pleased to announce the squad for season 2006.

The selection is a mix of Wests Juniors, quality players from other clubs and players who have by way of dedication, discipline and application to achieve made it through from the open trials.

The squad for 2006 is made up of 24 players

Grant Boyd
Isaac DeGois
Mark Deonck
Jason Dorahy
Drew Forrester
Pat Galea
Shannon Gallant
David Gower
Steven Hales
Sam Hoare
Walter Imo
Saia Makisi
Brett Oliver
Chris Paterson
Ryan Powell
Makasini Richter
Scott Russell
Dean Rysko
Netani Suka
Si’ikaehe Teaupa
Rocky Trimarchi
Nathan Waters
Ben Weir
Ben Yelavich

Congratulations to each of these players, they have reached just one of the important goals for Season 2006, to be a part of something special, Wests Magpies DRLFC.

The 24 man squad is solid across the line and I am sure they will be up to speed when we kick off in anger next week. Each player is mindful of the opportunity to play for Wests Magpies to show their abilities and push for a spot with West Tigers or another NRL club.

I am confident this group will do the Magpies traditions proud in Season 2006. We will hopefully be relatively injury free this season which allows for greater consisitency and competitiveness.

Regards

John Dorahy
Coach, Wests Magpies Premier League

girvie

Staff member
Western Suburbs kick off the 2006 VB Premier League season in a Block buster event at Telstra Stadium.

The Magpies have the honour of playing the first senior match of the season when they take on the Dragons in the lead up to the Wests Tigers v St George Illawarra NRL match. Get down to Telstra early for the 5:30 kick off and cheer on Joe Cool's Magpies as they do batle with the old enemy in the Red V.

The Magpies team for Round 1:

1: Shannon Gallant
2: Makasini Richter
3: Walter Imo
4: Scott Russell
5: Ben Yelavich
6: Jason Dorahy
7: Brett Oliver
8: Chris Paterson ©
9: Isaac De Gois
10: Pat Galea
11: Drew Forrester