What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Westpac prepaid Visa

Alan Shore

First Grade
I was given a Westpac prepaid Visa loaded with $80.

I then logged on to check my balance after using it, and thought it was strange that the two transactions were processed as follows:

1. I spent $30.60 buying cakes at a bakery. For some reason it lists the currency as AUD, but an exchange rate at 1.1, so debits $33.66 total for that transaction.

2. My second transaction is for $39.40 at Woolworths for groceries. It debits the exact amount $39.40.

I can see it lists the loading of $80 at the tope, so why did it overcharge me 10% for the first transaction? I now have $6.94 left instead of the exact $10 I was planning when I did the Woolworths transaction, and am unsure how I can spend the exact amount of $6.94 to get my full value out of it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
only guessing but some outlets charge a premium if you pay by CC

Pierced Soul

First Grade
call westpac, I think twizzle might be onto something but given it's a debit card and not a visa i dont think the bakery should or would be charging anything extra. i know a lot of merchants slug you for using Amex but thats due to amex's fees being higher than everyone esle

fight for your $3.06 :fist: i know i would, just because i know it would be costing the bank money to have someone talk to me about it.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Alan there are so many hidden charges with credit cards you wouldn't know what they are hitting you with. Get on the phone and chase it, sure it's only a couple of bucks but if you let a couple of bucks slide every time it mounts up over the years.

Edit: If its a debit card you should not be slugged with extra charges.

Here's another credit card related question: Pickpockets must be licking their chops seeing people use these tap and go credit cards. Is there a limit on how much you can spend with them per day as a precaution?

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think i've seen limits as under $20 or under $100

i dont think it's safe, but there have been times i've stood in line to buy something for $10 and thought "if i had one of those cards i could just tap it and be out of here"

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It'll be a credit card fee. From the merchants point of view there's no difference between a prepaid debit card and a credit card, if its charged through as a Visa/MasterCard they'll attract the same fees.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Spacemonkey is right. Some retailers are set up to decline Visa / MasterCard debit transactions because otherwise they'll get hit with the processing costs.

I don't know about Australia, but here in NZ retailers need to make any credit card surcharges crystal clear otherwise it's a breach of something (Fair Trading Act?).

Tap & Go cards are fine, the card companies will refund any fraud losses and it's worth it just to get people using their cards more. The limits can vary by bank, country, retailer, etc.

_snafu_

Immortal
Alan there are so many hidden charges with credit cards you wouldn't know what they are hitting you with. Get on the phone and chase it, sure it's only a couple of bucks but if you let a couple of bucks slide every time it mounts up over the years.

Edit: If its a debit card you should not be slugged with extra charges.

Here's another credit card related question: Pickpockets must be licking their chops seeing people use these tap and go credit cards. Is there a limit on how much you can spend with them per day as a precaution?

You can actually set the maximum daily withdrawal amount. My card is set at $2,000.

Mader45

Juniors
I was given a Westpac prepaid Visa loaded with $80.

I then logged on to check my balance after using it, and thought it was strange that the two transactions were processed as follows:

1. I spent $30.60 buying cakes at a bakery. For some reason it lists the currency as AUD, but an exchange rate at 1.1, so debits $33.66 total for that transaction.

2. My second transaction is for $39.40 at Woolworths for groceries. It debits the exact amount $39.40.

I can see it lists the loading of $80 at the tope, so why did it overcharge me 10% for the first transaction? I now have $6.94 left instead of the exact $10 I was planning when I did the Woolworths transaction, and am unsure how I can spend the exact amount of $6.94 to get my full value out of it.

Did you use tap and go at the bakery? That auto makes it a credit purchase as opposed to debit purchase.