What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers Abandon Wests PL

gr8_1

Juniors
This rumour was posted on the westsmagpies forum about 6 weeks before the meeting took place. So someone at the wests magpies knew this was going to happen. To say this was news to them is wrong. I actually think the magpies football club board wanted this to happen. They have been looking for a excuse to shake up the joint venture. The board is due for a major shake up as they are not taking care of the needs of there members. A EGM could be on cards I reckon after the current NRL season is over.

The next AGM is going to be a cracker. Bring it on.

chunk

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Your Leagues Club membership doesn't mean a thing here. If the fans want it, why hasn't it been pushed? It has come from Tim Seens. When it was put to a vote it was deadlocked. And methinks that Balmain's dire financial position was a factor in making this decision.

Chunk, as a football club member you are in a good position to bring this up with the board at a General Meeting or such. Magpies fans should do so as well.

Thats the point Jeffles it has been pushed by Balmain. They are listening to their fans.

Yes your right it may be because of their financial position. Balmain are saying that we should not have to support a full Premier League Team when we could support half and Wests support the other half.

By the way Sheens was just on NRL Fox and he stated that they are in desperate need of their 25 players being as one, in an intense atmosphere.

He said the depth of the Wests Tigers is poor compared to other teams and needs to be addressed. and having the 25 players together will help.

Once again if Wests Magpies do not want to be part of it then so be it.

Jeffles

Bench
chunk said:
Thats the point Jeffles it has been pushed by Balmain. They are listening to their fans.

Yes your right it may be because of their financial position. Balmain are saying that we should not have to support a full Premier League Team when we could support half and Wests support the other half.

By the way Sheens was just on NRL Fox and he stated that they are in desperate need of their 25 players being as one, in an intense atmosphere.

He said the depth of the Wests Tigers is poor compared to other teams and needs to be addressed. and having the 25 players together will help.

Once again if Wests Magpies do not want to be part of it then so be it.

Sheens should not hold the club to ransom. The directors should have the final say. Also, there is an argument about depth that would suggest having MORE players at your disposal of a high standard is tantamount to more depth.

As for Balmain directors listening to fans, I am not sure this is the case. When the BRET were formed a lot of Balmain fans were outraged. The former moderator of this forum was particularly annoyed.

Wests made a stupid decision to walk out of the meeting. They left themselves open for such a move. But what Balmain (and Wests) people should understand is that this is supposed to be a Joint Venture - 50/50. Balmain officials in Wests Tigers should not be content to listen to "their" fans only. It is a Joint Venture.

Now for the next question. Why did Wests directors leave themselves open for such an attack?

chunk

Juniors
Good qustion, I certainly can't answer it.

I can't believe that Sheens has decided this by himself.

If the directors did not vote for this there is no way that this would not have happened, Sheens doesn't have that much power.

Another good question is.

Who did make the decision?

By the way I think he refers to depth of some type of quality the large majority of Premier League players from Wests and Balmain just couldn't cut it in first grade.

Big-Steve

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Sheens should not hold the club to ransom. The directors should have the final say. Also, there is an argument about depth that would suggest having MORE players at your disposal of a high standard is tantamount to more depth.

As for Balmain directors listening to fans, I am not sure this is the case. When the BRET were formed a lot of Balmain fans were outraged. The former moderator of this forum was particularly annoyed.

Wests made a stupid decision to walk out of the meeting. They left themselves open for such a move. But what Balmain (and Wests) people should understand is that this is supposed to be a Joint Venture - 50/50. Balmain officials in Wests Tigers should not be content to listen to "their" fans only. It is a Joint Venture.

Now for the next question. Why did Wests directors leave themselves open for such an attack?

Somebody needs to take control here somebody who understands what a JOINT VENTURE is.

BOth Clubs entered into a JOINT venture not an anything goes venture that changes at the short term whim of a coach.

If you want to make a change to the Australian constitution you can't disreguard the intergrity of it just to change one part of it.

Jeffles

Bench
Chunk I suppose the Balmain directors made the decision as they were the only ones left in the meeting. Can't blame them for trying though. They did act within their best interests. My beef is that Wests are left with the chaff.\

Will they compromise? Maybe BRET can get the reserves one year and Wests can get them the next.

chunk

Juniors
I hope they come to an agreement. After six years of the JV I do feel an affiliation with the Magpies. I have mates who were old Magpies and now follow the Wests Tigers. They have produced some of the Wests Tigers best players.

However, personally, I don't think the Wests Tigers should suffer because of the self interests of the Magpies.

Nor does Sheens and plenty of other Wests Tigers fans as well.

Wests is Best

Juniors
SalfordRedsWA said:
Is there a chance Wests can go it alone in PL? They do have huge Leagues clubs, so surely?

To be honest, who would want to play for them when they are not a direct feeder to an NRL club?

Jack Holmes

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Ultimately, the JV is owned by the members of Balmain and Western Suburbs. They are not owned by the members of the Wests Tigers. The directors of the Wests Tigers should be acting in the best interests of BOTH clubs, not just one. This should mean treating them equally.

After blowing 11 million in the first two years, ultimately Wests Tigers are owned by News Ltd.

From what I have heard Wests Ashfield don't care about PL anyway!?

I look forward to Newtown giving Marsden's Magpies a right royal bluebag caning at Henson in 2006.

Up the Jets!

chunk

Juniors
Jack Holmes said:
After blowing 11 million in the first two years, ultimately Wests Tigers are owned by News Ltd.

From what I have heard Wests Ashfield don't care about PL anyway!?

I look forward to Newtown giving Marsden's Magpies a right royal bluebag caning at Henson in 2006.

Up the Jets!

Balmain and Wests Football members like Parra, Saints etc own Wests Tigers.

Who owns the Jets this year?

Sharks or Roosters I can't seem to keep up.

joejoe

Juniors
Kids will still want to play for Wests PL.

It will still give them a chance to be recruited into other clubs NRL squads including the Wests Tigers (that name is starting to taste sour!)

greg

Juniors
Spot on JoeJoe. There are talent scouts everywhere. Talent wearing the mighty magpies jersey will be noticed despite what some doomsayers say. Hang in there maggies, the more 1908 teams that compete the better. I'm sure most bluebag supporters feel the same.

joejoe

Juniors
The sad thing about Wests Tigers success this year is, it will help them to justify the bad treatment of the Wests Magpies and the people of the Macarthur.

Exactly Joejoe, now that the Waste Tigers have some success on the field they think they can do what they like to both Balmain and Wests, and I think the worst thing will be that the vast majority of fans will let Wastes treat the PL teams like sh*t with the NRL team doing well and that's what people want.... the NRL team to do well and f*ck almost 100 years of history up the wall. It's a shame.

chunk

Juniors
Henson Park Hornets said:
Exactly Joejoe, now that the Waste Tigers have some success on the field they think they can do what they like to both Balmain and Wests, and I think the worst thing will be that the vast majority of fans will let Wastes treat the PL teams like sh*t with the NRL team doing well and that's what people want.... the NRL team to do well and f*ck almost 100 years of history up the wall. It's a shame.

No, that is incorrect.

Three members from Balmain and three members from Wests are on the Wests Tigers board. These board members are voted in by their respective clubs.

They are the ones who make the decisions regarding Wests Tigers.

Therefore any decicisions made, are being made by Balmain and Wests

Just the same for other Football clubs.

So Balmain and Wests who like you say have 100 years of history are the ones making the decisions.

Jeffles

Bench
Razor said:
They finished 4th. If they had 1 PL side they could have finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

As it stands they're not in the top 25% of clubs.

Any response now that they're in the GF.

I'll reiterate my point. The best years for both WT and StGI have been while they had 2 PL sides. Certainly doesn't hurt.

joejoe

Juniors
Mate there is 5 members from each side of the Joint Venture.

5 'supposed' Magpies (2 Wests Ashfield, 2 Wests Campbelltown, 1 Wests Football Club)
and
5 Balmain Tigers.

The word is 1 board member from Wests Leagues Campbelltown voted with the Balmain side, basically stabbing the rest of the magpies members in the back.

Expect fire works in the off season.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Geez, If anything, I think the magpies jersey should be the one they wear in PL so that both clubs get a bit of representation on game days. The West jersey need to live forever.

Though I have to admit, one PL side is better than two.