What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers Abandon Wests PL

Jeffles

Bench
I just wanted to know what you guys think of this.

Tim Sheens called for WT players to go to ONE Premier League side only (instead of using Balmain and the Magpies). Western Suburbs refused to merge with the BRET then walked out of a meeting they were having with the BRET. With BRET people present only, they voted to send all WT reserve players to BRET next year.

A lot of issues arise.

1) How was there still a quorum at the meeting if the Wests directors walked out?

2) Why did the club listen to Tim Sheens so much if they are keen to preserve separate identities?

3) Why did Wests walk out of the meeting leaving themselves open to this action instead of standing their ground INSIDE the meeting where they could make a difference.

----

I genuinely feel for Wests. They came last this year and with a weaker squad it doesn't speak well for next year. But at the same time they should show some backbone and not continue to get pushed around by Balmain.

chunk

Juniors
Is this official?

If it is, it is a big call from the Magpies.

Wests Magpies only want 'local' talent playing for their Premier League team.
And because they don't want to merge Premier League teams, measures are to be taken.

Sheens is sick of having to deal with two Premier League teams.

Sheens and Noyce have a job to do and that is to make the Wests Tigers as successful as possible, that is their job.

Sheens wants a unified Premier League team which will benefit the Wests Tigers and I won't disagree with him, he knows whats best for the Wests Tigers.

They have always said that they want one Premier League team. Balmain wanted it and Wests didn't.

So it would seem that if BRET are to get all contracted players this must be the best thing for the Wests Tigers according to the Wests Tigers board, Sheens and Noyce.

Therefore it would be fair to say that there are people still at the Magpies who DO NOT have the Wests Tigers as their priority and if thats want they want then bugger em I say.

Wests can have their ordinary Premier League to follow, thats fine but if it is at the expense of the Wests Tigers then no way and thats obviously what Sheens thinks.

Its called "Biting your nose off despite your face"

Vicious

Bench
The Magpies chairman has stated that they never agreed to this and will keep fighting to ensure that a fairer compromise is reached. It`s only speculation that the Magpies board members walked out on the meeting and people really shouldn`t comment unless they know the cold hard facts!

Jeffles

Bench
The Magpies didn't "choose" this path - they were left with no options by an immoral BRET. Hope they fight it out.

As for the Sheens claim that the WT "need" this, well he should look at this year. 2 PL sides certainly didn't hurt them.

Bib

Juniors
So say the wests tigers 17 looks like

1. Hodgo
2. Fitzy
3. Haletau
4. Whatariua
5. Lolesi
6. Benji
7. Prince
8. O'hara
9. Farrah
10. Skando
11. Galloway
12. Laffranchi
13. Galea

14. Harris
15. Gibbs
16. Payten
17. Fulton

You could then have a merged premier league side looking like
1. Simon Greally
2. Matt Reick
3. Dean Collis
4. Joel Caine
5. Shannon Mconnell (spl?)
6. Luke Brannigan
7. Dean Byrne
8. Ray Cashmere
9. Isac Degatis
10. Mark Merideth
11. Bronsion Harrison
12. Tim McGann
13. Nick Korporais (Spl)

Not only would that be good for depth but the whole club would improve. Time for one premier league side

Jeffles

Bench
2 PL sides didn't hurt Wests Tigers this year and it didn't hurt St George-Illawarra in 1999. In both years, the NRL club has performed the best it has. I'd say there is an argument for two sides.

girvie

Staff member
I think having two sides is better. Double the players to choose from.

Bib said:
You could then have a merged premier league side looking like
1. Simon Greally
2. Matt Reick
3. Dean Collis
4. Joel Caine
5. Shannon Mconnell (spl?)
6. Luke Brannigan
7. Dean Byrne
8. Ray Cashmere
9. Isac Degatis
10. Mark Merideth
11. Bronsion Harrison
12. Tim McGann
13. Nick Korporais (Spl)
Only top-25 contracted players would go to Balmain Ryde so Kouparitsas, De Gois and probably Cashmere will still be at the Magpies.

chunk

Juniors
I suppose it comes down to whether your priority is.

If it's Wests Tigers then one Premier League team, no matter what our opinion is on the matter, Tim Sheens and Noyce think its a good idea. They should know.

If it's Wests or Balmain is your priority then two Premier League teams.

Like Bib said time for one Premier League team....... or lose the contracted players.

Big-Steve

Juniors
This is outrageous.

Why should a club with such a proud history that CAN afford to stand on it’s own 2 feet end up with the short straw.

Sheens should be put in his place. It’s not up to a Coach to start dismantling a joint venture. Me thinks his “coach of the year” award has gone to his head. It's everybodys job to insure the integrity of the joint venture as members and fans would want it.
I can not beleave Balmain fans would like this anymore than Wests fans. It's unaustralian.

Jeffles

Bench
chunk said:
I suppose it comes down to whether your priority is.

If it's Wests Tigers then one Premier League team, no matter what our opinion is on the matter, Tim Sheens and Noyce think its a good idea. They should know.

If it's Wests or Balmain is your priority then two Premier League teams.

Like Bib said time for one Premier League team....... or lose the contracted players.

It's not about priority. It's about company law. These guys are directors of a company. They are legally bound to act in the best interests of their shareholders, ie. members of the club. Ultimately, the JV is owned by the members of Balmain and Western Suburbs. They are not owned by the members of the Wests Tigers. The directors of the Wests Tigers should be acting in the best interests of BOTH clubs, not just one. This should mean treating them equally.

chunk

Juniors
I'm a Balmain Football Club and Leagues club member and I feel the majority of Balmain fans want one Premier League team.

Thats half of the Wests Tigers board.

And how do you know that the majoroty of Magpie fans don't want that as well.

The Wests Tigers board voted on this issue which you would know is made up equally of Wests and Balmain. I'm not sure if Noyce gets a vote.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
The WT played 3 games out here..

if i was a magpie fan, why would i want the one source of "professional" rugby league to leave campbelltown also..

If the WT played more games here then i wouldnt see a problem.

Jeffles

Bench
chunk said:
I'm a Balmain Football Club and Leagues club member and I feel the majority of Balmain fans want one Premier League team.

Thats half of the Wests Tigers board.

And how do you know that the majoroty of Magpie fans don't want that as well.

The Wests Tigers board voted on this issue which you would know is made up equally of Wests and Balmain. I'm not sure if Noyce gets a vote.

Your Leagues Club membership doesn't mean a thing here. If the fans want it, why hasn't it been pushed? It has come from Tim Seens. When it was put to a vote it was deadlocked. And methinks that Balmain's dire financial position was a factor in making this decision.

Chunk, as a football club member you are in a good position to bring this up with the board at a General Meeting or such. Magpies fans should do so as well.

Razor

Coach
2 PL sides didn't hurt Wests Tigers this year

They finished 4th. If they had 1 PL side they could have finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

As it stands they're not in the top 25% of clubs.

bazza

Immortal
I don't know if it is a totally bad thing.
All top 25 contracted players to Wests Tigers play for BRET if not in WT team. Western Suburbs Magpies run their own club seperately with their own squad. If WT have injury problems or someone impresses at the Magpies then WT can call on players from the Magpies team.

Vicious

Bench
bazza said:
I don't know if it is a totally bad thing.
All top 25 contracted players to Wests Tigers play for BRET if not in WT team. Western Suburbs Magpies run their own club seperately with their own squad. If WT have injury problems or someone impresses at the Magpies then WT can call on players from the Magpies team.

It is a bad thing for the fact that class players will be very reluctant to join the Wests Magpies knowing full and well that the top 25 contracted Wests Tigers players will be playing for BRET. The Magpies do have some exciting young talent amongst it`s ranks, but juniors alone is just NOT going to produce a semi-finals standard Premier League side, particularly when the best of the emerging young talent will be plucked and sent to BRET!

Latest posts