What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers take over bid

wazdog

Juniors
Seriously why are we talking about the Rabbitohs in the "What a basket case the Tigpies are now thread"

Yes the Rabbitohs were kicked out of the comp and have come back since and are now one of the strongest brands in country backed by TV viewership, membership, corporate support and merchandise sales and are now about to break ground on a fully funded $32m high performance centre in Maroubra of which the club contributed $4m in cash.

Who exactly did we sell our soul to? Private backers? What exactly have they taken away from us since being privatised? The only thing they've done which I'm against was moving home games to Homebush, but at the time there was a financial incentive to do so. The club did consider moving back to Allianz but unfortunately the hospitality for corporates were not up to scratch (this will most likely be reconsidered once the stadium is rebuilt). Now some would say why did they prioritise the top end of town for the everyday fan? Unfortunately money which is needed to ensure the club remains profitable without an annual leagues club contribution. Most of our fans get this.

The club is now closer than ever with South Juniors and now that the light rail has been built I could see us returning to Allianz which will also help the Juniors on game day as it will be a short ride back to the club after the game. Over time the club has also been able to afford to fund a NSW Cup and SG Ball team which resulted in us ending our partnership with Norths.

Since going private in 2007 Rusty and Peter Holmes a Court have invested $3m to purchase a share in the club and $7m in loans which were converted to shares. This year the club was in position to purchase $2m of the shares back from Rusty and Packer. If you would compare that to all the annual leagues club grants most clubs in the same time period you would see that we are running our club far better than most.

If the same criteria was applied to clubs in 1999 we would definitely be at the top rather than 15. Rather than evolving the Tigpies are unfortunately living in the past.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
I don't get the notion that the merger of two clubs means there history is null and void.

That seems like arbitrary internet rules.
It's not so much that the history is wiped, it's more a case of records are restarted. Wests Tigers are listed as having one premiership not 16 (11 for Balmain,4 for Magpies,1 for Wests Tigers)

Jim Rockford

Bench
Who exactly did we sell our soul to? Private backers? What exactly have they taken away from us since being privatised? The only thing they've done which I'm against was moving home games to Homebush, but at the time there was a financial incentive to do so. The club did consider moving back to Allianz but unfortunately the hospitality for corporates were not up to scratch (this will most likely be reconsidered once the stadium is rebuilt). Now some would say why did they prioritise the top end of town for the everyday fan? Unfortunately money which is needed to ensure the club remains profitable without an annual leagues club contribution. Most of our fans get this.
People forget that we were getting screwed by having a worse deal than the Roosters were getting at the SFS. I would think that if it was their club copping a raw deal that they would expect their clubs to do the exact same thing.

kdalymc

Bench
It was ridiculous trying to honour a Wests legend with a jersey he never played for
I did find it humorous they said Wests Tigers are wearing their black jersey instead of orange this week to honour Tommy... Ha.
So your saying they wore their home jersey

Mr Spock!

Referee
This is the thing, Souffs fans (why always Souffs fans? Its never Roosters fans, occassionally Parra fans like jilted lovers) can spout off about "you have no history/heritage" but for me genuinely it is exactly as it was sold to us, that we now have twice the heritage.

Balmain is burned into me. My dads photo is still in the foyer of Balmain PCYC (alongside Junior) and I have many years of memories ingrained in me that nothing can take away, but I also now get to acknowledge and celebrate as an interested stakeholder in Magpies heritage, such as todays celebrations at Campbelltown and I do have a genuine sense of celebration about their heritage. Not sure it would have ended up the same with Parra.
Balmain isn't Wests Tigers.

Neither is the Western Suburbs Magpies.

Mr Spock!

Referee
They didn’t hate Souths, they just thought it’d be prohibitively expensive to make them a sustainable business. Which turned out to be correct.

That’s also why they weren’t interested in Souths and why Souths couldn’t cash in on SL, which makes your whole ‘we didn’t sellout to Murdoch’ point redundant, because Souths couldn’t ‘sellout’ to Murdoch even if they wanted to.
It turned out it wasn't.....

But you took your million dollars worth of silver to screw the game.

wazdog

Juniors
People forget that we were getting screwed by having a worse deal than the Roosters were getting at the SFS. I would think that if it was their club copping a raw deal that they would expect their clubs to do the exact same thing.

Thats true, the financial incentives weren't on par with the Roosters and they wanted a massive clip on our merchandise sales as well which they didn't impose on the Roosters. The SGCT wasn't run like a government asset should be.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Sponsorship? There was no team, there was no club, there were no players, there were no Souffs games. So yes, Souffs were begging for donations from rich mates.....for 1 year, then they all left.

Where did all those sponsors go after that? How did the club go broke with all these rich sponsors? Why did Souffs drop to their knees in front of PHaC & Rusty if they had all these sponsors? Which of these powerful sponsors were on the jerseys in 1998 & 1999? Such a powerful history of sponsors.

1998_team.jpg

1999_team.jpg
Seems to be a few sponsors on that 99 jersey

1999 jersey

past_jerseys_1999.jpg

south-sydney-rabbitohs-home-shirt-1999-s_274_1.jpg

Mate I know this is all about your own angst at being a pseudo club foisted together to make Murdoch happy.

That's your problem.

Not mine.

Current Members – 30,451 Members Target – 30,000

Mr Spock!

Referee
Mr Spock is a lot less logical these days.
NRL club finances: big dollar Broncos NRL’s richest team | What’s your NRL team worth?

Broncos $17.8 million
Cowboys 10
Storm 9.7
Rabbitohs 9.4
Roosters 8
Warriors 7.4
Average 7.3
Dragons 7.2
Knights 6.5
Tigers 6.1
Bulldogs 5.5
Panthers 5.4
Eels 5.2
Sharks 5.2
Titans 5.1
Sea Eagles 4.9
Raiders 3.2

wazdog

Juniors
Seems to be a few sponsors on that 99 jersey

1999 jersey

past_jerseys_1999.jpg

south-sydney-rabbitohs-home-shirt-1999-s_274_1.jpg

Mate I know this is all about your own angst at being a pseudo club foisted together to make Murdoch happy.

That's your problem.

Not mine.

Current Members – 30,451 Members Target – 30,000

I'm pretty sure Souths Juniors wanted to sponsor the Rabbitohs as well, however, they NRL deemed that that was ineligible (why I don't know) to be included in the selection criteria.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I'm pretty sure Souths Juniors wanted to sponsor the Rabbitohs as well, however, they NRL deemed that that was ineligible (why I don't know) to be included in the selection criteria.
Bahahahahaha

The selection criteria created and administered by Murdoch.

Everyone knew it was a complete and utter farce.

No, neither Balmain nor Western Suburbs exist.

Rabbitohs were one of the few clubs to post a profit last year.

So glad we didn't sell our history out to Cronulla.

I still think it would be a good decision for the following though which would enable new teams to be admitted.

• Souffs/Sharks and Dragons to merge and be renamed Southern Sydney Illawarra.
  • Wests Tigers and Canterbury merge - Macarthur South Western Sydney
  • Parramatta and Penrith merge - Western Sydney
  • Roosters same - Eastern Sydney
  • Manly - Northern Sydney

5 Sydney Teams as above
Canberra
Newcastle
Storm
Brisbane x 2
Gold Coast
North Queensland
New Zealand

that will be 13 teams - with opportunities for 3 new teams for 16 teams comp then expansion possibilities for 17th and 18th team

PNG
Perth
Second NZ Team
Central Coast
Another QLD bid team
Combined Pacific Islands ( Fiji/Samoa/Tonga)

Tiger5150

Bench
I did find it humorous they said Wests Tigers are wearing their black jersey instead of orange this week to honour Tommy... Ha.
So your saying they wore their home jersey

Home Jersey
3e681907e2034cd243abcfac20e300ab

Special one off commemorative Jersey for Tommy

E0wCmeSWQAAgO6W

I know its subtle, but can you spot the difference?