What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wettest Rugby Leagues

LeagueNut

First Grade
I'll vote for the Warriors/Tigers game of 2005 as well. We were in the Eastern Stand and heard a hell of a noise all of a sudden - then we worked out it was rain hitting the Western Stand roof. About three microseconds later we were absolutely drenched. You couldn't even see clearly across the field at it's worst.

Loudstrat

Coach
Wasnt there a match at Leichhardt about 15 years ago when a massive hailstorm hit around half time and they considered calling it off? IS that what you are talking about?

2008+NRL+Grand+Final+Sea+Eagles+v+Storm+ee_vwK3Zcqul.jpg

Oh you meant playing fields...

IanG

Coach
The other game that was called off was Newcastle v Souths at Newcastle and they had to play it at a later date.

Yeah and the irony was that when they did reschedule the game it pissed down rain that day as well. I think the Knights won 60-0 or something

Could we add the game in 2000 in Canberra when it snowed?

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
What I can't figure out is it was wet as but they didn't get all muddied up. I've seen games where you can't tell which team is which. That game there was so much water but no mud???? was it an artificial pitch or something?

Knightmare

Coach
Yeah 1994, terrible conditions. Players came on to the field after half time and the massive storm hit. Yeah see footage of Stu Gailbraith trying to take cover and an umbrella was blown across the ground.

Pretty similar to a trial game in 2002, Parramatta vs the Northern Eagles, lightning hit the ground at Gosford and the lights went out. Game was stopped for 45 minutes.

That Manly/Balmain game wasnt the same game where Blocker was sent off. Im pretty sure that game was at Leichhardt earlier in the year, (if I find it Youtube again, Ill post the link).

I remember that 2002 match, during stoppage a guy in my grade and some of his mates stripped down to their boxers and went streaking on the field!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Amazing how Ive forgotten that game only 2 years ago too.

Yeah that was shocking. Massive storm at halftime.

RHCP

Bench
The lightning strike was pretty ridiculous.

Although I did manage to sneak up into the great seats because so many people left when the storm hit, so it wasn't all bad.

Uate scored a great try as well.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Pre-season trial between Tigpies and Manly at Leichhardt circa 2004.

Had to take refuge in the scoreboard building, it was the worst win/rain I've ever seen at a football ground.

Knightmare

Coach
Wettest game I remember was Gold Coast v North Queensland at Carrara in 2007. The weather looked like it was going to be fine for the evening when I arrived at the ground, so of course I didn't bother to get an undercover seat!

nqcowboy87

Bench
if anyone managed to catch the qcup match between redcliffe and tweed at piggabeen it was bucketing down i dare say heavier than souths v broncos in perth and the ground was basically just mud, brad davis went to do a drop out but the ground was too soft and the ball didnt even bounce so it sort of rolled the ten metres it was that bad

please ignore the watermarks (and that pun)

md_A39K0938.jpg

md_A39K0915.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts