What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We've Got Paterson

Talanexor

Juniors
Mid-year transfer from Newcastle, will start training with us next week apparently.

Unsure about this one. Yes, he's a good player (when he turns up), but we've already got stacks of depth in the backrow already.

Also, we don't have a great track record with these mid year signings. The last one was BANI!

What do you think of this signing?

cb4

First Grade
I think he will be a decent pick up to add to your back row depth.

I dont think he will be training with you next week, as he had knee surgery 2 weeks ago.

carncowboys

Juniors
not complaining but not overjoyed
already got a bucketload of depth in backrow.
If it doesnt affect our resigning on Tariq Sims i am not fussed.
Hope he is happy playing Qld cup for the first few weeks.

Didgi

Ah, was just going to post this.

For mine, we don't need him. Having said that, he has the potential, particularly running off JT, to become a brilliant, damaging backrower. Off-field problems have affected his footy so far, and being on the outer can't have helped. Hopefully being thrown the 'lifeline' will motivate him to really become the player he can be.

Last edited:

Didgi

Here's the article, Talanexor, it's preferred if you have a reference for your news. No biggie in this case but just something to be mindful of in future :)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1226068477671?from=public_rss

North Queensland Cowboys sign Newcastle forward Cory Paterson until the end of the 2013 NRL season

North Queensland Cowboys have signed Newcastle forward Cory Paterson until the end of the 2013 NRL season.

Total NRL News

The 23-year-old, who has played 77 NRL games, will link up with the Cowboys from next Tuesday to bolster the club’s forward depth.
There has speculation for weeks that Paterson was on the outer at Newcastle Knights, starting from when Wayne Bennett signed to coach in 2012.

Cowboys General Manager Peter Parr said the club was pleased to have acquired Paterson, who represented the Indigenous All Stars in 2010.
"He’s a very talented player," Parr said.
"He’s only in his early 20s, has played almost 80 games and is a strong, powerful athlete.

"He was someone our coach, Neil Henry, and the coaching staff had previously identified as a player we would like at the club and we’re happy that we’ve been able to agree terms for him to come here for the rest of the season, plus another two seasons.
"I know Neil thinks he is a quality player and will no doubt add to our strength and depth in the forwards.
"He will be a very welcome addition to the Cowboys."
Paterson will begin training with North Queensland next week.

Didn't realise he was only 23, thought he was 24 or 25 at least. IMO what Parr has said there is spot on - a strong, powerful, 80 minute player who should only improve.

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
Great to see the cowboys recruiting better and building a great squad. Patternson will only make your team better IMO.

Talanexor

Juniors
Here's the article, Talanexor, it's preferred if you have a reference for your news. No biggie in this case but just something to be mindful of in future :)

Hahaha, I was going to - but then again I'm lazy and with someone as sharp and on-the-ball as you are, it was only a matter of time until the link was up anyway.

Didgi

Now now, I'm not Timmah you know. Can't always rely on me to be there ;-)

Not sure if this has been made obvious in a comment or article that I've missed, but I'm starting to think that Paterson likely wanted us rather than the other way around. A few have suggested Knights will be paying a significant portion of his contract next season, and with our backrow depth you wouldn't think we need him. Then again, might just be Neil Henry taking the opportunity on a guy he said he's always rated.

Didgi

He's managed by those wankers? Just the sort of people we're getting rid of from the club.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yep...I suspect thats part of the reason we cut him loose

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1226068477671?from=public_rss

Didn't realise he was only 23, thought he was 24 or 25 at least. IMO what Parr has said there is spot on - a strong, powerful, 80 minute player who should only improve.
He can play 80 minutes, however he doesn't go hard for 80. When he's having a good game (about 5 or 6 times a year) he can be quite good, he'll score the odd try come up with some good offloads and can put on a hit, but he still won't do much dirty work. When he's off the only time you notice him during the entire 80 is when he drops the ball or gives away a penalty.
The thing that irks me about him is that he's not a good back against the wall type of footballer. He's sensational when the team is on a roll and his confidence is up, but during those tight grinding games he generally folds quicker than 7,2 offsuit

beave

Coach
why should he though???? Cooper has been playing damn well and deserves to be left in the team.

Sorry Dream but you seem to be happy with this signing and I'm afraid I don't share the same attitude towards it. Any spare cash we have lying around needs to be thrown Tariq Sims way, that kid will shit all over Paterson (IMO he does know already)in a years time. Even if we are throwing $50k at Patterson this year and next year, that's $50k-$100k we could have thrown Tariqs way to sweeten his current deal so we are in with a shot when his contract is up next year. No one knew he was going to be this good, and you can bet your bottom dollar every club will be lining up to sign him next year. I just think signing him for the sake of signing him regardless of who is paying his wage is not the way to go. DJ has a few more years in him, same with Hall, same with Cooper who is a lot younger. If this deal with Patterson was in 2 years time then I could understand it but the other guys who have been playing damn great for us are not about to retire in a year. I just don't understand this one.

elyod138

Bench
why should he though???? Cooper has been playing damn well and deserves to be left in the team.

Sorry Dream but you seem to be happy with this signing and I'm afraid I don't share the same attitude towards it. Any spare cash we have lying around needs to be thrown Tariq Sims way, that kid will shit all over Paterson (IMO he does know already)in a years time. Even if we are throwing $50k at Patterson this year and next year, that's $50k-$100k we could have thrown Tariqs way to sweeten his current deal so we are in with a shot when his contract is up next year. No one knew he was going to be this good, and you can bet your bottom dollar every club will be lining up to sign him next year. I just think signing him for the sake of signing him regardless of who is paying his wage is not the way to go. DJ has a few more years in him, same with Hall, same with Cooper who is a lot younger. If this deal with Patterson was in 2 years time then I could understand it but the other guys who have been playing damn great for us are not about to retire in a year. I just don't understand this one.

I'm happy because he offers something different to what we have and I can see where he might fit in, if he fulfils his potential.

I doubt they will lose Tariq because of this signing, Parr said they wouldn't sign him if it got in the way of re-signing anyone else.

There's a degree of risk involved, but I say give him a chance.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
I'm pretty sure we've got Bolton, Cooper Scott, Tamou, Johnson and Tariq Sims locked up for the next couple of years at least.

I can see the club letting go of the Ah Mau boys if they need to make room for Paterson.

Also, getting rid of Gallant and Bani and replacing them with juniors (Ulugia, Feldt/Elisala) should free up a bit of money too.

Charlie124

First Grade
I wouldnt want to offload Leeson, he's been great coming off the bench this season. Bani, Gallant, Ashton (although he's been ok) and some of the other fringe players should be enough to cover the signing of Patterson and retain the blokes we want to retain.

Having said that, i too am a bit confused about this signing.... we just dont need the guy, as it is we cant fit Scott Bolton into the run on side. Doesnt make much sense to me.

Charlie124

First Grade
I just read the other thread re: Tariq.... We should keep ashton, if only to ensure Tariq stays too. lol