What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about the Steelers???

Andrew O'Keefe

Juniors
Does anyone else feel for the Steelers (and fans) this week?
Dragons are based in Woolongong now but all the talk is of the "mighty" St George.

drake

First Grade
Bait from someone who can't spell Wollongong.

Most people say St George because we're lazy Aussies & CBF saying the last four syllables.

What about poor old Warringah and Sutherland?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I cry myself to sleep at night to be honest. We're in the grand final and my beloved steelers who haven't existed for over 11 years don't get as much of a mention as they should.

Won't somebody think of the children?

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
To answer your question Andrew. No. Im a former steelers fan but ffs, anyone who whinges about it isn't a real fan. I'm a saints fan now. Even i call them St George.

bottle

Coach
No Deal Andrew.

:lol:Nice call Simo.

Don't worry Andrew, there's plenty of other haters. They'll be in here soon enough to help you sledge. Meanwhile there are numerous other threads you can join in on today and for the remainder of the week to vent your spleen.

Keep em coming girls.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
SO the training session at WIN yesterday, the live site being set up at WIN Stadium... that's all nothing is it? :?

Timbo

Staff member
What about the poor Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks?

WHAT ABOUT CARINGBAH!?!?!?!

Timbo

Staff member
Hate to correct a Sharks supporter on this, they were founded as Cronulla-Caringbah.

saints_fireup

Juniors
We are the St George-Illawarra Dragons.

Every fan recognises the enormous contribution of the Illawarra region to the joint-venture. However, the vast majority of supporters are also aware that the arrangement was contingent upon the retention of the history, colours and emblem of the St George RLFC. As it stands, this arrangement was undertaken in good faith and the Dragons have certainly done excellent work in developing and promoting the game in the Illawarra region in return.

This type of baiting by opposition fans is a greater reflection of their insecurity in the success of their own club. You're not a Sharks fan by any chance?

BunniesMan

Immortal
It was silly to make a team with a 7 syllable name. Wests Tigers got it right. As for the Dragons, most people will call the team "St George" or "The Dragons". You should have called yourself the St George Steelers or the Illawarra Dragons.

But it's well known that merger wasn't a real merger. Illawarra got 6 games down south, the Dragons got "St George", "Dragons", the Red V, the jersey design in general. Look at the logo, it's the old St George logo with "Illawarra" on the bottom of it. All the important things that define a club have been adopted from St George. It's a bit late to talk about it now, you should have done a better job negotiating back in 1998.

But because you didn't, Illawarra will go the same was as Warringah, Sutherland and Bankstown.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What an utter load of garbage :lol:

You're aware it's joint-venture, not a merger, right?

n r l f a n

Juniors
it's 50/50
that means we've won a total of 7.5 premierships:D

the joint venture killed off a lot of steelers fans...never to return to rugby league again.
im positive there will be a stand alone illawarra club in the future...too much talent and love for the game in illawarra

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
What an utter load of garbage :lol:

You're aware it's joint-venture, not a merger, right?

Splitting hairs mate. Point is all this was discussed years ago, Steelers knew what they were agreeing to so it's a bit late to be complaining now. They should have negotiated better in the first place.

n r l f a n

Juniors
steelers didnt have a choice, it was join or die...effectively died anyway....murdering rugby league in the illawarra