What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about the Steelers???

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
From what I've seen steeler/south coast fans have embraced the dragons as their own and dragons fans have an appreciation of what the Illawarra region has done for their club - made it stronger. If they win the comp people in the gong who support the dragons will be celebrating not crying over the steelers.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Oh God, not the Steel Dragons again!

When Kogarah was quietly disintergrating and the Dragons were forced to play their Sydney games at the SFS, I remember some comments coming out of NRL HQ which were subtle 'why not play all of your games at Wollongong' type statements.

Didn't happen and now it's a perfect merger. But I wouldn't be suprised if some of the NRL heirarchy were hoping the Dragons became a full-time South Coast outfit.

The South Coast Steel-Tipped Dragon-Sharks?

Gaba

First Grade
D

As for the Steelers and their negotiating power. Didn't they have other choices, I think I remember the Roosters and Sharks (back when they actually had money) also being interested in getting with the Steelers.
The sharks wanted a merger with the steelers , but the steelers knocked it back saying they didnt want to lose their colours and the illawarra name

Last edited:

Dragon

Coach
The South Coast Steel-Tipped Dragon-Sharks?

180px-WTF.gif

Frederick

Staff member
I dunno what all the fuss is about. I'm a Steelers fan and couldn't be more delighted with how things are going. 3 and 0 without Big Ben...couldn't have dreamed of a better start

BunniesMan

Immortal
Oh God, not the Steel Dragons again!

When Kogarah was quietly disintergrating and the Dragons were forced to play their Sydney games at the SFS, I remember some comments coming out of NRL HQ which were subtle 'why not play all of your games at Wollongong' type statements.

Didn't happen and now it's a perfect merger. But I wouldn't be suprised if some of the NRL heirarchy were hoping the Dragons became a full-time South Coast outfit.

I think they'd have loved this. Sort of the southern version of what's happening with the bears. The NRL wants to give millions to any Sydney team that wants to relocate, which is their plan for the Sharks when they eventually run out of options.

RL1908

Bench
Ironically, "dragons" isn't entirely accurate either - In the myth St George slayed the dragon, and in its early decades the club was known as "the dragon slayers".

Many though will be surprised to learn that way back in the 1920s and 30s, the St George rugby league team were commonly referred to as “the Illawarra men” and the “Illawarraites”.

THE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS?
http://tribe13.wordpress.com/2010/09/30/the-illawarra-dragons/

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dragons isn't that hard to say. Calling the team "Saints" is an insult to Steelers fans.

How is "Saints" any worse than "Dragons". You do know the "St" in "St George-Illawarra Dragons" means "Saint"? If you're fine with one you have to be fine with the other because they're the exact same thing. An abbreviated way of saying the team. Only difference is one is the first part of the team's name, the other is the last part. But how would either be any more or less insulting to Steelers fans than the other?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think the merger should stay this way for aslong as it can last or until the day Illawarra decide to stand on their own 2 feet.

I think the St George Dragons are too well entrenched into Sydney, the red V is too recognisable and cannot be lost to the game.

I think the day Illawarra go it alone, Cronulla will become St George territory once again.

RedVee

First Grade
We are the St George-Illawarra Dragons.

Every fan recognises the enormous contribution of the Illawarra region to the joint-venture. However, the vast majority of supporters are also aware that the arrangement was contingent upon the retention of the history, colours and emblem of the St George RLFC. As it stands, this arrangement was undertaken in good faith and the Dragons have certainly done excellent work in developing and promoting the game in the Illawarra region in return.

Agree.

Has someone got the transcript from the announcement?
There was (to my memory) a pronouncement of the desire to join the history of the St George Club to the future (juniors?) of the Illawarra club.
That was the point of the JV.

The St George side has provided much assistance over the years to the Steelers Club, to the Illawarra RL area and to the Group 7 RL area. I think the JV has proven mutually beneficial.

MBR: Red Vee ticketed x6; St G Leagues; St G Football; Illawarra Steelers

bobmar28

Bench
How is it an insult?

It's simply a shortening of our name. Maybe we should all chant STI to be politically correct?

I love how all the people commenting on this aren't even fans of our club. Many from the illawarra region join in on the Saints chants, are they bad fans too?

Must be hard to hear that through the TV. How does it go again? Go Saints?

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
How is "Saints" any worse than "Dragons". You do know the "St" in "St George-Illawarra Dragons" means "Saint"? If you're fine with one you have to be fine with the other because they're the exact same thing. An abbreviated way of saying the team. Only difference is one is the first part of the team's name, the other is the last part. But how would either be any more or less insulting to Steelers fans than the other?
IMO "SAINTS" stands for St George with no reference to the Steelers.

Rexxy

Coach
So many uninformed people, not enough bullets.....

(hey Bobmar, did you squeal when Bankstown was dropped from the Merkinerberry-Bankstown name?)

DRAGONS 2010 INAUGURAL WOLLONGONG 'GRAND FINAL' LUNCHEON

Friday, October 1, 2010

The St George Illawarra Dragons would like to invite you to our inaugural 'Grand Final' Luncheon at the City Beach Function Centre, Wollongong.

This function will include a three course dining experience with beverage service.

Enjoy entertainment from comedian Murray Hartin (Australian Storyteller) and a guest panel of past players including Wendell Sailor.

Come and join the Partnership team from 12-4pm for a Grand Final lunch before a long weekend.

For further information on the above event, please click here or contact Dragons Partnerships on sales@dragons.com.au or call 02 9553 1888

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
So many uninformed people, not enough bullets.....

(hey Bobmar, did you squeal when Bankstown was dropped from the Merkinerberry-Bankstown name?)

DRAGONS 2010 INAUGURAL WOLLONGONG 'GRAND FINAL' LUNCHEON

Friday, October 1, 2010

The St George Illawarra Dragons would like to invite you to our inaugural 'Grand Final' Luncheon at the City Beach Function Centre, Wollongong.

This function will include a three course dining experience with beverage service.

Enjoy entertainment from comedian Murray Hartin (Australian Storyteller) and a guest panel of past players including Wendell Sailor.

Come and join the Partnership team from 12-4pm for a Grand Final lunch before a long weekend.

For further information on the above event, please click here or contact Dragons Partnerships on sales@dragons.com.au or call 02 9553 1888

Let me guess his first line.

"So who's ready for number sixteeeeeeeeeeeeeen?"