What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are Australia doing in 2007?...

Sun_Down

Juniors
Oh my bad. In 2007, NZRL are celebrating what is 100 yrs of RL.

The All Golds tour
When the All Golds stopped off in Australia, three games were played at the Sydney Showground, against a professional NSW rugby team. These games were played under rugby union laws, as no copies of the Northern Union laws were available. Baskerville was greatly impressed by Dally Messenger, and persuaded him to join the touring party. For this reason, the All Golds are sometimes known as Australasia, rather than New Zealand.

The All Golds arrived in Britain late in 1907 having never even seen a match played under the new Northern Union laws. They undertook a week's intensive coaching in Leeds to bring them up to speed, and after playing a number of touring matches the first true rugby league test was played, with the team went down 8-9 to Wales in Aberdare on 1st January 1908. The All Golds gained revenge however, defeating the full Great Britain side in two of the three test matches, which were played at Leeds, Chelsea and Cheltenham; a surprising choice of venues given rugby league's northern base. The tour was a great success, and gave a much needed boost to the game in Britain, which was struggling financially against the rise of association football.

From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_league

Big Bunny

Juniors
Typical Wikipedia getting things wrong. The first NZ team were called the Professional All Blacks, it was only the newspapers that decided to ridicule them with the name 'All Golds.'

ali

Bench
Well what's the point of doing anything post season 2007 if the world cup is going to be pre-season 2008. Surely the All Golds tour is going to be in some doubt if the world cup is pre-season.

elBandido

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Typical Wikipedia getting things wrong. The first NZ team were called the Professional All Blacks, it was only the newspapers that decided to ridicule them with the name 'All Golds.'

You could correct it :)

Woods99

Juniors
Surely there will be no league internationals in competition with the 2007 Rugby World Cup?:shock:

I would like to see Australia hosting France in a three game series.

Play games in Townsville, Canberra and Parramatta or even Penrith.

Not only would it be good for the French to get some good opposition and know what they are in for in 2008, but it could get decent crowds in those areas as well.

You have to remember that if the 2008 World Cup is in March.....the 2007 end of season would see Australia full of international games in the lead up to the Wolrd Cup anyway.

elBandido

Juniors
The thing is LF if the 'roos thrash them in the first will people show up for the rest it's a massive gamble,the French are improving and half their squad will be pro by then but Australia should comfortably win on home soil.

I like the idea of using grounds that don't usually host internationals though make it an event for that area kind of like Parkes in 1990,that could make it work.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
If they are taking tri-nations and origin to Melbourne, maybe they should give the Mexicans a game (it's not as though Sydney would really want the match). The Vics wouldn't really know much about the French, and may show up in numbers as they have for previous rep. matches.

I think you'd have to really look at where and when you played the games.

I'd imagine that you could sell out Canberra or Penrith for the first game no matter what.

I think Townsville would get a VERY good crowd for the second game no matter what.

The third game would be a little more interesting. That might need to be played somewhere completely different like say the Gold Coast, Wollongon or somewhere like that.

I worry about throwing France into such a tough tour when NZ and GB have struggled to even win a single game in the past, but I think we need to start playing these games to build SOMETHING sooner or later.

I'd rather see these teams playing games and getting thrashed than have them not playing games.

Woods99 said:
Surely there will be no league internationals in competition with the 2007 Rugby World Cup?:shock:

Mate, are you for real ? Do you think every other sport is going to stop its international calender because the soccer world cup is on ?
Use the union forum !

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Surprizingly not everybody will want to watch Union and why cant games be scheduled around the Australian Rugby Union games which is what most people will only be bothered in?It isnt hard to do just a little bit of thinking required!I would have Australia playing France once (Canberra), Samoa (Gold Coast) Once and Tonga once (Newcastle) and Papua New Guinea Once (Townsville). The French Could still play PNG in PNG) and maybe a Junior Roos game in Sydney somewhere.That way all are getting games in.France will win some and gain experience as will PNG

hgfds

Juniors
Newcastle is the obvious choice for a french test guarenteed 27,000 sellout,the arl has already played a nz match there because of this,canberra never comes close to newie in terms of attendances if aus vs nz can only get 28,000 newcastle is not far behind sydney for test matches.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
There is no certainty as to when the 2008 World Cup will be. Geoff Carr has sent the issue for evaluation, to a consulting firm headed by former ARL secretary, and his mate, John Quayle.

Geoff Carr floated the idea of the possibility of February-March because he loves to say the first thing that comes into his head, regardless of how stupid the idea is. He apparently doesn't worry about rugby league being played in 30 -36 C weather, with 85% humidity. Carr apparently doesn't worry about the players being not yet fully conditioned when the event takes place. Carr also thinks that you can hold a blue ribbon platinum event as a curtain raiser to a regular season, rather than as its finale, and still get maximum public interest. Real smart entrepreneur this guy!

France touring Australia in 2007 will be a good idea, but it should not be lowballed into being held in club stadiums. If it is a Test match it needs to be held at a major stadium.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
If France come in 2007, sure I don't think they should be relegated to Penrith stadium.

But I think the marketing of the Kangaroos, and whatmore the function of the Kangaroos has to undergo massive reform.

Firstly the marketing. When garner 'Test' match RL as the utmost level (even though it is currently superceded by SOO), therefore deserves the biggest crowds, biggest media exposure, biggest of everything.

Our sport has the potential to be all over every other sport in this country by being the highest quality at 3 levels.

Club, State and International.

We have the first 2 sorted out, now it's time to work on the third.

The fact remains no other sport looks like having top calibre entertainment at all 3 levels.

But the marketing has to be "watch the roos, the very best we can offer'. We still have this hang-up on trying to prove every match up is a struggle not decided until the 80th minute.

Cricket has this sorted, RU has this sorted. Market the abilities of the star individuals and the fact it is a congregation of 17 stars all at once. Likewise, walk before you can run.

RL rules regional Australia, and as a strength, RL should focus on making regional Australia inclusive of the game. We are currently happy to get 25-35,000 crowds for a game.

Well get these 25-35,000 crowds in as many places as possible.

Townsville, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Gosford, Canberra.

If you told these 5 cities they had the next 5 tests, all 5 tests would sell out and RL can scream from the roof tops "5 capacity crowds in a row".

Get the hype, give Sydney and Brisbane a one off taste, then shuffle it around again. Add Melbourne to the mix and eventually you'll have 8 cities in the mix who all want test match football.

It'll be the hype surrounding international football, and only international football, that will open the doors back up in Adelaide and Perth.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
2007, send a game up to Titans Stadium. Hopefully is will be finnished by the end of 2007, and will sell out if they open it with a Test match.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I think the 7's should be re-invented too. Except it should be a wondering tournament, played out of a new stadium each year.