What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are Australia doing in 2007?...

elBandido

Juniors
coldhardbitch said:
2007, send a game up to Titans Stadium. Hopefully is will be finnished by the end of 2007, and will sell out if they open it with a Test match.

Great idea! Use it for a third test against the French or a game against PNG,Tonga or Samoa.

bartman

Immortal
We're tossing around pre-season and post-season options for the World Cup, each with advantages and disadvantages. For discussion's sake, what do people think about mid-season, with say a six-week break in domestic competitions of some countries involved? That would mean countries could have a range of prep games during the 2007 off-season...

Sun_Down

Juniors
bartman said:
We're tossing around pre-season and post-season options for the World Cup, each with advantages and disadvantages. For discussion's sake, what do people think about mid-season, with say a six-week break in domestic competitions of some countries involved? That would mean countries could have a range of prep games during the 2007 off-season...

In my opinion, its a superb idea Bartman.

*No dubious injuries/post season-opeartions
*Everyone at peak physical condition
*Great time of the year to play it
*EVERYONE would know about it, as its in the middle of the season, this would be a HUGE advantage. The media coverage would be, imo, about three times bigger than any pre/post WC.

I really like the idea. But with that said, the clubs would probably despize it, and the NRL would never have enough guts to do it.

I can think of better things to do then shutting down the massive money spinner the NRL has become to rush through a WORLD CUP!

I think people need to realise there is the ideal way....and then there is the realistic way.

In an ideal world the World Cup would be played after the club season.

It would be played by 16 nations with teams made up or people that were actually born in the countries they are playing for.

It would have millions spent on promotion, the small crowds would be over 30,000 and it would get the international attention it deserves.

The reality is....

Its between 2-3 club season away and not a single thing has been confirmed.

There are no eligability rules in place at all and greed will see every NRL player getting a call up from some coach asking "Do you have Grandparents with a Russian, Irish, Scotish, Welsh, French, Samoan, Tongan or Fijian passport?".

There will be more spent on promoting the WEts Tigers vs Melbourne Storm at Campbelltown Stadium in round seven of the 2005 NRL season then will be spent on the entire World Cup.

Many people wont know its on and the few that do will realise the farce it has turned into as Pat Richards runs out for Ireland and you have interviews with Russian player with Aussie accents.

The venues will be poorly picked, the kickoff times will be shocking and times to fit in before the 6 o'clock news or after the gardening show and before nightline.

The lineups for the final will be named about 20 minutes before kickoff because we have no ruloes in place and no governing body.

If the game is a draw after extra time no one would have any idea what to do because the people running the damn thing only think 5 minutes ahead of time.

It will make a profit before a ball is kicked off an end up losing millions.

It will set back International Rugby League ANOTHER 10 years.

AND.....

We can now see Jim Beam cup teams being able to run out 3 "International" players who got to play for some nation they havent even visited.

Guess what.....I believe in the ARL! :lol: