What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are NZRL doing to us?

How do you rate the NZRL Board ?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

• Indifferent

• Total voters

Humphrey

Juniors
This is a joke right.......

"The New Zealand Women's Rugby League have announced the coaching and management staff for the 2007 World Cup campaign.

Staff have been appointed from 2005 - 2007 as a build up to the 3rd World Cup for the Women's Rugby League which will take place in Sydney, Australia.

Coaching & Management are as follows:

Stan Martin (Coach)
Juanita Woodhouse (Manager)
Bob Vercoe (Trainer)
Skye Sandilands (Physiotherapist)"

What has Stan Martins coached in the last couple of years that wasnt a rep team given to him as one of the jobs for the boys. And were any of those teams successful?? Doesnt he work for the rugby league? Geez are our Bartercard coaches and the coaches who coach the womens teams week in week out ever going to get the jobs they deserve? :twisted:

Then we have Sel Pearson writing his pathetic letters to the bloody Aussies asking them to stay in the game :evil:

I heard on Murry Deakers radio programme that the NZRL are forcing a code of conduct on there life members so that they cant speak out :roll: just what we need in the press

Ken Laban is on the radio saying the NZRL are falsifying stats about the numbers of players playing our game. And says the numbers have actually been declining

Our bloody Kiwis couldnt win a chook raffle

And last but not least the Bartercard Cup which is growing in success and finally looking like a strong comp here to stay is getting a facelift so it can look more like the bloody Lion Red Cup disaster under Graham Cardin

playdaball

Bench
RL numbers have been in decline for a number of years. Yes carlnz this despite the fact that Otago has a new team!

carlnz

Bench
playdaball said:
RL numbers have been in decline for a number of years. Yes carlnz this despite the fact that Otago has a new team!

Yeah I know...but I wouldnt be surprised if this year the numbers were up? a Couple new teams in Otago, Central, Hawkes Bay and Auckland....it will take years for numbers to get back to the numbers of the late 80's......

Even Rugby numbers have been dropping so its nothing really to worry about..........

playdaball

Bench
carlnz said:
playdaball said:

Yeah I know...but I wouldnt be surprised if this year the numbers were up? a Couple new teams in Otago, Central, Hawkes Bay and Auckland....it will take years for numbers to get back to the numbers of the late 80's......

Even Rugby numbers have been dropping so its nothing really to worry about..........

I believe that it is something to be concerned about.
A few years back Auckland had more junior team (exc. schols) than RU but now this is not the case. Canterbury, a former stronghold has barely enough players to fill schoolboy grades and I also believe that Wellington is also in major disaray, hence the NZRL having to 'run' this district. RL 'died' in areas such as Tasman, Hawkes Bay - a minor league has restarted, parts of Gisborne EC and some of the areas in Northland.

One area that needs to be addressed is the fact that our sport is hardly played by Europeans/Pakehas. Thsi is another topic altogether but I am sure that this is having negative affect on people picking up on the sport.

carlnz

Bench
Yes but if you go back to the days of Dean Lonagin he said he was always the only white guy in the team going through the grades!!

Was this year the first time in a long time they bought back the under 10s 13s 15s and u18s???

Humphrey

Juniors
No theyve always had those grades in Auckland in any case I dont know about the other areas but I agree with playdaball it is a worry for sure

carlnz

Bench
Humphrey said:
No theyve always had those grades in Auckland in any case I dont know about the other areas but I agree with playdaball it is a worry for sure

Nah Im meaning the Southland, West Coast, Tasman, Otago and Canterbury tourment they had a couple of months ago...

Art Vanderlay

Juniors
Playdaball is right!

There was a dramatic change after the 10 meter rule was introduced into the game, European mothers don’t like there kids being run over by the bigger more developed boys from the pacific islands when they get a ten meter run at them!

I have seen the playing numbers of juniors fade away from the club I was involved in and I don’t think those number will every be replaced the game has moved on. I only hope it survives!!!!

Really that rule change the way the game is played, don’t get me wrong I enjoy the 10 meter rule, its has brought the game to a new level, although when you’re a young boy getting bashed to the ground all the time doesn’t build confidence.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
thats where coaching is lacking in much of nz...players arent taught to come up in defence. yeah coaches get out the tackle bags and hit up pads, but this is seen more so as a fitness drill...not enough is done to drill it into the players that this is what is needed in defence. if you move up, more often that not the pass from dummy half is slow and you can meet them 5 metres or less from the play the ball. anyway this is a whole different subject...sorry for sidetracking :arrow:

playdaball

Bench
carlnz said:
Yes but if you go back to the days of Dean Lonagin he said he was always the only white guy in the team going through the grades!!

Deano played for Glenora, same team as Duane Mann, which had a number of 'white' guys playing.

A few years ago there were a number of clubs that had a large number of Pakeha players - The North Shore and Westie clubs especially.

The restricted weight teams throughout the schoolboy grades also encouraged boys of all sizes to participate.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
there were alot more white guys back in lonergans days than now...are you sure it was the dean lonergan who played for the bears? you spelt his name dean lonagin, so i guess it wasnt :?

there was greg hiley, grant pocklington, charlie mcallister, dean lonergan..and about 3 others who started for glenora back in his days who were 'white'. i know tats had more 'white' boys back in those days than anyone else...especially in prems.

those were the days, when the westies ruled...especially in 88. i even remember watching the battle of the bears in 88, north sydney v glenora at carlaw

the westies will return to power again :evil:

Skinner

Coach
Dirty Hoe said:
thats where coaching is lacking in much of nz...players arent taught to come up in defence. yeah coaches get out the tackle bags and hit up pads, but this is seen more so as a fitness drill...not enough is done to drill it into the players that this is what is needed in defence. if you move up, more often that not the pass from dummy half is slow and you can meet them 5 metres or less from the play the ball. anyway this is a whole different subject...sorry for sidetracking :arrow:

Just while I am thinking about the thread starter's issues I'll do this
one. You are absolutely bang on there Hoe. Move up, get over the
advantage line and you turn defence into attack...it will work everytime
and will eventually win the game for you.

It stems from having very willing "dads" coaching at the junior level.
Power to all the willing dads but, crikey, we are seeing the results at a
very senior level. I am continually astounded when watching premier
and Bartercard Cup footy and the blokes can't do the very basics of the
game...next time I see a bloke spin the ball in the pass I'm, fair dinkum,
going to run on and belt him.

I'd like to think that the coaching is changing...but I'm not holding my
breath.

Cheers
Skinner

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
sel use ti turn up at northcote and have a few quite ones...he is a toss, he true toss...arogant too...needs a good slapping

NZRL have no idea at all. They need to get some overseas investors in here to get the Bartercard Cup up in standards so we stop losing our f'n players. Think about it, Galavao was at the Marlins, and it was doing shit all for him. He goes over to Oz, within a year of Aussie coaching, hes one of the best 2nd rowers in the NRL.....Coincidence? No.

playdaball

Bench
Don't forget that NZ'ers are big travellers and as with 'normal' jobs young men will take their trade / profession overseas to seek greener pastures. Thi is what many RL players do.

Latest posts