What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do people think of Chris Lawrence?

simmo1

First Grade
The turnaround in his defence from 3-4 years ago is remarkable. Always had a great attacking game.

MacDougall

First Grade
I like him he's a great player. Missed the tackle on Daly last night that allowed him to score from 70 metres out.

Up there with Barba as the biggest turnstile in defence.

What? Chris Lawrence is literally one of the best defenders in the game. All positions. Everyone makes mistakes but last night he went in on an awkward angle against a player who had already slipped through who also fended him away on the dive. Most would have been beaten there.

Chris Lawrence has a fantastic ability to read play, his front on defense is insanely good and he has probably put on more "big hits" in the last couple of seasons than anybody. The bloke is good for two absolute bellringers a game and last night he probably made about 5 tackles that would have been called Brut Big Hits. Moi Moi is literally Lawrence's bitch. Ask Willie Mason and Fui Fui if Lawrence is a poor defender.

As for the comparisons between he and GI. The only thing GI has that Lawrence doesn't is a giant frame. Anything else Inglis can do, Lawrence can do.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
He was in outstanding form before his hip injury, undeniably one of the top centres in the NRL. Yet to get back to his best & was outplayed by Jamie Lyon last night. No shame in that - Lyon has one of the best football brains going around.

juro

Bench
I'm sure he would have played origin in the last couple seasons if not for injuries at the wrong time (is there ever a right time to get injured?)...

Nightward

Juniors
Yep. No team in the comp could seriously believe BOTH of their centres are better than Lawrence.

One, you could argue, both, check yourself in to the loony bin.

Jack Reed and Justin Hodges.

Wouldn't trade either, and wouldn't take Lawrence ahead of our other options (Yow Yeh, Gillett, Te'o, Glenn, Gagai, Beale, Norman, Hoffman) either.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There's a fair few decent judges in this thread that rate him, and with good reason. There's no way I can agree with you summation.

With Lawrence, it's refreshing to see a centre that doesn't rely purely on athletic ability, of which he has plenty. He displays intelligent thinking on the footy field, so talk of captaincy at his club doesn't surprise. I could only wish for a player of that calibre at my club.

He's had his fair share of injuries and he was outplayed last night fair and square. But I think there is a few more appropriate players you could target for threads such as these.

MacDougall

First Grade
I'm sure he would have played origin in the last couple seasons if not for injuries at the wrong time (is there ever a right time to get injured?)...

Lol Michael Ennis's injury last year was pretty well timed. Dogs were pretty much done for the year, he'd played all three origins already. Time for a long rest!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Jack Reed and Justin Hodges.

Wouldn't trade either, and wouldn't take Lawrence ahead of our other options (Yow Yeh, Gillett, Te'o, Glenn, Gagai, Beale, Norman, Hoffman) either.

Fine centres true, but we'll have to agree to disagree on Reed. Another season of form he had in 2011 will add more weight to the argument. By then Hodges will be near on 31 and the injuries he's had over his career may start to catch up with him, hence my different POV on which centre is the better option (taking the 5 year outlook and crossing fingers for injuries)

Last edited:

broncos70

Juniors
Yep. No team in the comp could seriously believe BOTH of their centres are better than Lawrence.

I love the jack reed and hodges centre combo we have right now and wouldn't trade it for anything. Reed is a proven performer and I haven't seen him dominated by any centre that he's played, whether it's for england or the broncos.

We can't take a 5 year outlook on lawrence because he's injury prone too. Still stick to hodgo and reed

Last edited:

pirie

Juniors
I love the jack reed and hodges centre combo we have right now and wouldn't trade it for anything. Reed is a proven performer and I haven't seen him dominated by any centre that he's played, whether it's for england or the broncos.

We can't take a 5 year outlook on lawrence because he's injury prone too. Still stick to hodgo and reed

injury prone? He had one freak injury in his career so that makes him prone? Would you say hodges is injury prone?

Every time I see the Tigers play I see that Blake Ayshford actually outplays Lawrence but I don't watch that many games but I seemingly rate him more.

_Johnsy

Referee

He's the most injury prone centre playing in the NRL atm.

if you expected to have anyone take your assessment seriously take of the maroon & yellow goggles off.

Latest posts