What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we need to get back to the top?

SDM

First Grade
The board are to blame for everything and stats don't mean anyhing unless they suit my arguement.

IFR33K

Coach
RE: the first bit:

the poster was having an opinion and i believe asking if other's agreed with his opinion and assessment of the squad's problems.....maybe his new-ish to the forum and just wanted to be heard in amongst some of the weighty ego's that frequent this place....ever think of that???

RE: the second bit:

there is no chip on my shoulder....and i'm not your son, i'm my father's son, no one else's ok mate.......

all i'm doing is calling it how i see it.....you act like you are some interest moderator and like people give a rats what you think of a post or thread....? let people make their own mind up, that's all i ask....oh apart fromk one more thing.....if you are not interested in something, then stop F#$&ing replying to it just to inform us all that you aren't interested in it ha ha :lol: no one gives a rats if you don't find something interesting, i know i dont

and i'm more than grown up ok.....if you want a verbal slanging match i'm more than happy to accommodate you.....but i'd much rather spend my time on something interesting, fulfilling and worth it...

Couldnt agree anymore.

The total lack of respect on these forums, in particular the eels forum astonishes me. I guess thats what has become of modern day society.

You'd think that the older posters on the forums would set an example to the young'uns.

I just dont understand why every time there is a difference in opinion, or someone like the OP states what we all know, then there are posters ready to pounce.

About time some posters pull their heads in.....arguing over the net aint going to achieve anything.

rant f#^king over.

mrpwnd

Bench
point is this is an open forum....if he is going to be knocked for airing his opions, then shut the thing down :roll:
Fair enough.
My opinion on this thread is that it's more or less a no shit sherlock sort of thing.

Ant

Juniors
First of all I do apologise to the terribly offended people who could not stand to have someone voice their opinion. Next time I will trawl through every post to make sure I don't repeat anything.
You know when someone has too much time on their hands when they go onto a thread just to point out they have heard it before.
Simple solution close the thread read another one, stop whinging.

As you said Suity move along, you just failed to do so.

Mrpwnd very insightful, thanks for your comments Watson.

Poupou, as someone who added a comment of note. I think you are underestimating what an organising halfback does for a team. You can have structure but you need someone barking orders at players to constantly get into the right positions. Sometimes halves literally shove players into spots prior to the next play.
No matter how structured your style of play is, unless you have at least one player (or hopefully multiple players) who can remind every other player what his role is and where he needs to be during a set it won't work effectively.
An effective set generally means the side will constantly reload on both sides of the ruck to create options for the defence to look at so they can't zero in on someone. This doesn't happen all the time sometimes due to fatigue or sometimes because the team lacks direction from a cheif organiser.
Whether its exit sets or attacking formations on good ball sets you need someone to make sure your players in the right spots, even if they are tired.
Watch all the teams that regularly play well, someone in that team will be doing a heap of finger pointing, yelling and even physically moving players into positions. Its also why runners are out of the field so much, to help in this role, its why playmakers so often become runners.

I think out halves lack execution at times with their skill and lack the ability or confidence to take the team by the scruff of the neck including Jarryd's and demand they are where they need to be.
I'm pretty sure at the storn with smith, cronk and slater they do plenty of organising and I'll bet between Hornby, Soward and Fein its the same there.

Thats why I am a little concerned about Sandow, he is more talented than Morts or Robson but he seems to lack in that role, which is one reason why Souths don;t win more. But as others have said (sorry suity) he is still probably going to help the team rather than send them backwards.

I'll get in trouble for being too long now.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Poupou, as someone who added a comment of note. I think you are underestimating what an organising halfback does for a team. You can have structure but you need someone barking orders at players to constantly get into the right positions. Sometimes halves literally shove players into spots prior to the next play.
No matter how structured your style of play is, unless you have at least one player (or hopefully multiple players) who can remind every other player what his role is and where he needs to be during a set it won't work effectively.
An effective set generally means the side will constantly reload on both sides of the ruck to create options for the defence to look at so they can't zero in on someone. This doesn't happen all the time sometimes due to fatigue or sometimes because the team lacks direction from a cheif organiser.
Whether its exit sets or attacking formations on good ball sets you need someone to make sure your players in the right spots, even if they are tired.
Watch all the teams that regularly play well, someone in that team will be doing a heap of finger pointing, yelling and even physically moving players into positions. Its also why runners are out of the field so much, to help in this role, its why playmakers so often become runners.

I think out halves lack execution at times with their skill and lack the ability or confidence to take the team by the scruff of the neck including Jarryd's and demand they are where they need to be.
I'm pretty sure at the storn with smith, cronk and slater they do plenty of organising and I'll bet between Hornby, Soward and Fein its the same there.

Thats why I am a little concerned about Sandow, he is more talented than Morts or Robson but he seems to lack in that role, which is one reason why Souths don;t win more. But as others have said (sorry suity) he is still probably going to help the team rather than send them backwards.

I'll get in trouble for being too long now.

Mate, very good post, and what you've said is correct. However I think you're blurring the definition of 'organising half' here.

As you point out, there is a certain amount of 'organising' that needs to be done on the field, regardless of how detailed the gameplan. This is one of the reasons on-field talk is so valuable.

But usually when we talk about organising halves, we're not talking about the organising that can be done by anybody; we're talking about that specific off-the-cuff direction of the team that only some halves are capable of - the kind of improvised set of six that some 'organisers' will choreograph after an unscripted shift, such as occurs after a linebreak or a turnover.

These are the kinds of 'organising halves' that are given a lot more freedom inside a gameplan, and not every team has them, but not every team needs them either - it's not something I see from Cronk, Hornby or Soward, for example. I do see it from Prince and Thurston.