What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think we need to win a premiership??

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
5/8...halfback...not much difference. Just play on opposite sides of the field. I would think your classic halfback would do most of the kicking, right? Well that’s what Moses is best at.

As for Gutho, yeah he could make a good centre. We’ve seen him play there and gone ok. But he’s better at fullback where he can utilise his best assets - his fitness and ball playing. If we were to grab a top class fullback who is better than Gutho (not many of them around) then I’d be happy to move him, but who will that be?
Moving Gutherson to the halves is more about getting him into the defensive line and taking away his kick returns. In attack he wouldn't have to play any differently at 6 as he currently does at 1.

Gazzamatta

Coach
As someone earlier said we're passive in defence. If we moved up quickly we achieve 2 things. We hinder their momentum and cut down their playmakers thinking time. That completely disrupts their attack. Oh and quicker ptb's would improve our attack. Those two things would make us a premiership threat.
Smart teams would then kick in behind us and when you have wingers with the turning circle of the Titanic it means trouble with a capital T.
I take your point though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
*Twin

tumblr_mihfzgLPSX1s4t08po1_400.gifv

TheRam

Coach
No, because I also said this:

To get what you want is very expensive unless you bring it through the lower grades. If that is what you are waiting for then we may as well resign our selves to another 5-10 years at least to have a team, following your logic, capable of winning a premiership.

To score a Reece Walsh type of star is like hens teeth and to sign one that is already established is a $1m+ proposition.

We have a very talented roster, to ignore that and start again, well thanks, but no thanks. I would rather the more obvious solution and rejig the coaching staff and some pace in the wing and centre position and watch the improvement. If we then got proven quality offensive and defensive assistant coaches and we still played similar clueless dumb football, then I would start to rethink my spine player options.

Our roster is very impressive, we just need the right coaching. Didn't one of our players state a few weeks ago that we haven't even trained for the possible loss through injury, I think it was Mahoney, if he went down injured? Or something like that. The point being is that we don't train for different outcomes. Also I believe that the coach himself mentioned that we don't do all that much on offensive plays. Again a sign of why we are lost at times with the ball. He thinks that as long as the effort is there in the collision and defense everything else will just sort itself out. Well it isn't and the most glaring example is our defense out wide. We need it fixed. Not hope that it will be fine by rearranging players from one side of the field to the other. How armature hour is that?

TheRam

Coach
Because we've built our roster based on size, rather than mobility, which is exactly what you were calling for in 2018. Now we've done it you want us to have smaller, faster players like Ma'u and Bevan French. Make up your f**king mind, but understand there needs to be trade offs.

Who said anything of the sort you pinhead. Talk about making sh*t up to win your flailing pathetic stance. The only thing I want us to add roster wise is speed out wide. What size it comes in is irrelevant, but I would prefer it big, as long as it knows what to do in defense and is fast in attack.

I want to change our assistant coaches. Player size big or small is not our problem. Coaching is. We should be winning the wrestle like the Storm do who also have a monster pack. But we don't. They are coached brilliantly. We are not.

You pelican!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
To get what you want is very expensive unless you bring it through the lower grades. If that is what you are waiting for then we may as well resign our selves to another 5-10 years at least to have a team, following your logic, capable of winning a premiership.
It's not about capable vs not capable. It's about improving our chances. Once you've got a squad signed up I don't believe tactical tweaks make much difference, as the squad is built to suit a particular style of play. Or it might have been built with no style in mind (like when coaching/recruitment staff are replaced in quick succession) but will still suit one style over others. It would be foolish to change to a style that doesn't suit the squad, just because another (differently composed) squad is having more success with that style.

I think we are already a chance of winning the comp (about a 10% chance). But if we remained a 10% chance of winning the comp we would only win one roughly every ten years. Certainly better than our (average) probability of winning since 1986, but if we want to be better than 10% chance of winning we need to improve the squad.

hindy111

Post Whore
Moving Gutherson to the halves is more about getting him into the defensive line and taking away his kick returns. In attack he wouldn't have to play any differently at 6 as he currently does at 1.

Penrith hardly have a great fullback. We have a better one. Their hooker isn't any better either.
Forward packs are close. So what makes them so much superior? It leaves the 6,7 and 2-5.

hindy111

Post Whore
I thought this would be the upper end of what he could get, from a desperate enough club. I think he's worth $400k to $500k per year. He looks a lot better at the Storm than he would anywhere else.

He has a ridiculous amount to TAs and LBAs for a fill in player. Watching a few times I have wondered if he will end up better then Papenhauzen tbh.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Penrith hardly have a great fullback. We have a better one. Their hooker isn't any better either.
Forward packs are close. So what makes them so much superior? It leaves the 6,7 and 2-5.
Penrith have a pretty small pack, so they are very mobile defensively. To'o and Edwards give them plenty of go forward out of their own end, so it is very difficult to pressure them. With Cleary's kicking game they can stay patient and win the grind. They either frustrate their opponents into error or they just outgrind them over 80 minutes.

hindy111

Post Whore
Penrith have a pretty small pack, so they are very mobile defensively. To'o and Edwards give them plenty of go forward out of their own end, so it is very difficult to pressure them. With Cleary's kicking game they can stay patient and win the grind. They either frustrate their opponents into error or they just outgrind them over 80 minutes.

Plus they have weapons in Kikau , Burton and Crichton all lurking out wide.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plus they have weapons in Kikau , Burton and Crichton all lurking out wide.
Sivo, Blake and Papali'i are all just as dangerous one-on-one. They just get far fewer opportunities than the Penrith guys because we don't build pressure anywhere near as well and opposition defences make far fewer mistakes.

T-Boon

Coach
If we were to grab a top class fullback who is better than Gutho (not many of them around) then I’d be happy to move him, but who will that be?

Hynes (like I said) and move Guth elsewhere. Centre or 5/8.
He isnt quick enough to be a fullback anymore.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hynes (like I said) and move Guth elsewhere. Centre or 5/8.
He isnt quick enough to be a fullback anymore.

Signed with Sharks.

I reckon we build for 2023/2024 after this season. Take a hit in 2022. Better a small one then having to blow the whole thing up.